!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Cottage for Wrenton  (Read 1863 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: A Cottage for Wrenton
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:47 pm »
Hi roger,
Thanks again for the tutorial.
Having seen your buildings, I am tempted to purchase the Silhouette Portrait.
When you say it does not cut right through the 20 thous plastikard, do you leave the cutting tool on the deepest setting to achieve the desired scoring?
Cheers Dennis.

I do, Dennis. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong as I've seen other people mentioning that it doesn't cut right through 20 thou. For larger cuts I can snap the pieces apart, where that's not possible I use a sharp scalpel and run it through the scored line.  I forgot to mention above that there will be a slight burr along the cut edge but that happens if you cut with a scalpel.

If you're planning to make many buildings I think the Portrait is a good investment at less than the price of many locos. If you're making lots of identical buildings (backs of a terrace of houses in an urban set layout, for example) the time saved would be considerable and every building would be exactly the same.

You can draw straight into the software if you don't want to go through the Photoshop stages I describe. It's a basic CAD program which is very quick and easy to pick up.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
Thanks for the info Roger.
I used Autocad when I was working so should be able to sort it. Also have a version of Photoshop so could always go down that route.
Food for thought.
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
Chris,
Think you had better check out my work first. It won't be to Roger's standard. I can promise you that. LOL!

Well, Dennis, I wasn't planning to tackle the station area buildings until next summer. I'm sure that, by then, you'll be pretty proficient and I can then make a contribution to your purchase costs?

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 05:48:02 pm »
Well Chris,
Sounds like plan
Dennis
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »
Well Chris,
Sounds like plan
Dennis

Great, Dennis. I realise that such a machine is a significant outlay but will, otherwise, not get much use once you've used it to make all the buildings your layout requires. This way, I can benefit from your experience, help you with the costs and save buying a machine (plus postage) for about 6 buildings.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »
You make it sound and look so easy but I know I couldnt manage to make anything near as good as you but I did enjoy reading the thread.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:14:42 pm by Bob Tidbury »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:04 pm »
Great, Dennis. I realise that such a machine is a significant outlay but will, otherwise, not get much use once you've used it to make all the buildings your layout requires. This way, I can benefit from your experience, help you with the costs and save buying a machine (plus postage) for about 6 buildings.

I use my machine for more than making buildings - once you've got one you'll start finding more uses for it. I've pointed to the station footbridge and the four-bar fencing in the Wrenton posts. I cut most of the small grave stones using the machine, also the chest type monuments - not sure what they're really called! Making up small objects like the chests is so much easier if you've got exactly sized and perfectly square components to work with.

The war memorial base was made by cutting several squares of 20 thou to make up each layer. I even cut a square hole in the middle of each piece so that the pillar could pass through them.

It's also useful for scribing, as in the fencing, for example.

The magazine article which brought the machine to my attention showed some panelled coach sides, admittedly in 4mm scale. They looked really good.

Online scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »
Impressive!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
I've got the KNK Zing plotter cutter, OK costs more but will cut far heavier card than the cameos, and also has an embossing tool.

I've cut embossed plasticard and mounting board with it, it will also cut balsa, though I haven't had a need to do that yet, they also claim 3/10" chipboard, tho' not sure if American chipboard is the same stuff as UK chipboard!
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »
... they also claim 3/10" chipboard, tho' not sure if American chipboard is the same stuff as UK chipboard!

You are right to question that Mike.  What is meant by chipboard in the US is a material close to the type of card that forms the back of a note pad.  I think it's properly referred to as 'grey board' in the UK(?)...  Nobby might be the man to be more informative on the point with his background in the packaging industry.  @newportnobby

Another happy Zing owner.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:38:28 pm by Zogbert Splod »
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:49:46 pm »
Thanks Roger.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 10:00:28 pm »
@Zogbert Splod
Sorry, Allan, but I can't help. My packaging world for 34 years was based upon aluminium foil (7 to 100Ám) sometimes laminated to tissue or films for the confectionery/dairy industries.

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 05:25:00 am »
Thanks Mick, I should have just Googled it!
But since you mention it, how about handing round some of those sweeties!!!  (or, since this is a dual language subject now, candies!)

These days, the term 'greyboard' is used to describe a low grade, 100% recycled, grey coloured thick board used for pad backing, rigid boxes, carton (not corrugated) toy packaging and bookbinding.

Chipboard may refer to: A type of paperboard generally made from reclaimed paper stock; the term generally used in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipboard

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Almost forgot to mention it but I am really loving this thread.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:27:01 am by Zogbert Splod »
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Loggerman

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
Hi Roger,

Brilliant post, well done and thank you for such detailed instructions.

At the moment I am trying to loosely model Hayling Island Station using your brilliant method of construction, I have managed to recreate the station using Photoshop and now need to cut it out using my Silhouette Cameo (had it for some time but have never used it yet) on the 20 thou Plastikard did you use the cutting mat and also did you cut it in one pass or several passes, and at what settings?

Another problem I've got at the moment is Hayling Station looks like it was clad in some form of Clay Tile, I've found a few downloads of suitable brick paper for parts of the building,  :helpneededsign:but cannot find any Victorian Wall Tile paper, any thoughts on that, might have to try and find an old Victorian Property somewhere and take some pics.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Dave   

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 09:19:31 pm »
Hi Dave,

Pleased to hear that you're finding the post useful. Yes, I do use a cutting mat. I set the blade to 10, cutting speed 5cm/s, depth 33 and two passes. I think I mentioned that it won't cut right through 20 thou. I usually fit a new blade in my scalpel to go round the smaller cuts but find that it's normally possible to simply snap the larger cuts free. There will be a small burr on the cut edges. I either run the scalpel along the edges holding it almost flat to the plastikard or use a small file to get rid of it. If you're covering the model with printed paper a few scratches won't matter!

I used my own photos of roofs. I was lucky with the slate ones as there are some cottages at Birling Gap, not far from me, where you can get fairly high above the buildings. The resulting photos have to be stretched vertically to get the right proportions.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything