!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 23573 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:06 pm »
I think I'll join NPN's Knitting circle   :wonderfulmodelling:

:laughabovepost:
Welcome aboard, David. The only similarity between any efforts of mine and Wrenton are the odd vehicle or two :-[

Offline Trev

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23682
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2017, 03:25:17 pm »
As I look at the photos of  your creations Rodger, the thought that spings to mind is "what is the phone number for  the local estate agents." The buildings looks so real, I want to move in!

I apriciate you not wanting to exhibit but I really hope one of the model railway magazines offers you not just an opportunity to be Railway of the month but possibly a series of articles detailing how you achieve such magnificent results. Your work deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.
Maybe a publisher would be interested in working with you to produce a modeling instructional book.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to document your methods.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:31:12 pm by Trev »
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2017, 04:32:10 pm »
Roger,
I second Trev's comments.
 :greatpicturessign:
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2017, 04:42:55 pm »
I agree. I think there is good scope for an instructional text book that would be useful to modelers in all scales, but particularly n gauge.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:55 pm »
I really hope one of the model railway magazines offers you not just an opportunity to be Railway of the month but possibly a series of articles detailing how you achieve such magnificent results. Your work deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

I think a magazine article/s might be an idea. But first I need to finish the layout! We're nearly up to the present day in this tale and there's plenty still to do.

There do seem to be some good books around these days. A bit different to when I was a kid. But I do still have my copies of 'Miniature Building Construction' and 'Miniature Landscape Modelling' both by the wonderful John Ahern. I found Richard Bardsley's 'Making a Start in N Gauge Railway Modelling' to be a useful intro when I started on my N journey. The publishers of that book seem to be building quite a large catalogue of railway modelling books.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:10 pm »
DEVELOPING THE RIGHT HAND END BASEBOARD (June 2017)

With the line of the fencing on the centre section of the baseboard settled it was possible to extend the fencing onto the right hand section and seventeen months after the scenic module for that end was completed it was finally blended into scenery around the tracks. Most of the 'bushes' are various colours and grades of Woodland Scenics materials. And much more fencing was needed. Those wagons desperately need some weathering - one of the many outstanding jobs! I don't think I need to comment further on these photos.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2017, 06:31:36 pm »
Roger

Many thanks for these wonderful pictures.

I'm glad you included the last one as it gave me (a steam locomotive enthusiast) the opportunity to look at a steam-hauled train without being distracted by the surroundings.

Hmm: that's not normally the case...

... the last time it happened was at Pendon!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:31 pm »
Great pictures! It looks like we have 'Liverpool', 80119, and the J39 in common.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:36 pm »
Great pictures! It looks like we have 'Liverpool', 80119, and the J39 in common.
The J39 was my first loco. A beautiful runner still.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2017, 09:19:00 pm »
Spent a very enjoyable few hours (at work)  :-[ going through your posts, fantastic work, as echoed by the many others who have savoured your brilliant photos.  Look forward to being able to keep up at a more sedate pace now!

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:12 pm »
Roger - you haven't listed an N Gauge Society membership number, but the editor of their Journal is always crying out for articles and you could make a valuable contribution to it.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »
A railway running in the country side which looks so natural.I am very impressed with the standard of this layout, can not believe how I have missed it. Your buildings look superb, not the usual kit buildings the rest of us mortals use. I am definitely not joining Micks knitting circle though that would be too much like giving up,sorry Mick!!!.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2017, 11:13:31 pm »
I am definitely not joining Micks knitting circle though that would be too much like giving up,sorry Mick!!!.

I'm sure Mick's tongue is firmly in cheek. I'm also sure that Roger would like his wonderful work to be an inspiration, and not a stick to beat ourselves with. As a newcomer to the hobby, I'm grateful for this example of top-quality modelling in N-gauge and even if - as I expect! - I'll fall short, it's great to have a standard to aim for. :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2017, 11:41:33 pm »
The Goods Yard and the Signal Box (July August 2017)

In July I constructed the last buildings for the layout, the goods shed, the signal box, and three small buildings for the goods yard. Then, in August, they were installed and the surrounding areas were developed.

The shed was made using my usual methods. The walls are cut from 20 thou plasticard using the Silhouette machine, which makes cutting the arched windows easy. As the windows are solid the interior is a bit dark, but there is a platform in there, together with some parcels and other bits and pieces. Also in the yard is a weighbridge office, a toilet building and an office for the coal merchants (King and Son).

The yard crane is by Graham Farish, an expensive option but it looks good. The cattle dock is a modified Ratio model. The coal bins are Ratio kits with real coal instead of the supplied plastic version. Good heavens all these kits on Wrenton!

I think Mr King and Son have just had a large delivery of coal.

The signal box was scratch built but using the etched window frames from the Ratio signal box interior kit. The rest of the kit is in the building but pretty much invisible! The Silhouette machine was used to score the planking of the walls. It was invaluable for cutting accurate components for the staircase but it was still a fiddly job assembling them.

So, after nearly four years work the whole of the baseboard has been covered. Here are views of the entire layout.

And that brings us up to date. Theres still much to do. Signals, road signs, clutter on the platforms, weathering of rolling stock and treatment of the road surface which is currently a bit shiny in places are all waiting for attention.

Im currently adding some extra storage roads in the fiddle yard and Ive made a hideously ugly cover for the layout details to follow when I have time to photograph it.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2017, 07:34:12 am »
Highly impressive. When I saw the first photo. in this series, I thought it was the full-size prototype!

Thanks for the clarification about the pavements.

Your layout should definitely appear in one of the model railway magazines.

My worry about adding tiny fragile details like trackside signs is that they will be damaged when I use my mini vacuum cleaner to remove all dust, etc.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here