!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 37115 times)

JanW and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »
Aargh! Sorry, I’ve been a complete rissole.  Only when I couldn’t find it myself and then searched for “Key Publishing” did I realise the mag is called “Steam Days” :-[

Always did get those two mixed up!

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2018, 10:39:00 pm »
Aargh! Sorry, I’ve been a complete rissole.  Only when I couldn’t find it myself and then searched for “Key Publishing” did I realise the mag is called “Steam Days” :-[

Always did get those two mixed up!

It happens to us all! I'll have a hunt tomorrow.

Online Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »
Roger, apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread - there's quite a lot of it now - how do you achieve the excellent lighting in your photos? It's certainly one of the elements that adds to the realism of the pictures.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »
Roger, apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread - there's quite a lot of it now - how do you achieve the excellent lighting in your photos? It's certainly one of the elements that adds to the realism of the pictures.

Tony, I don't think I've mentioned lighting before so here goes...

I use outdoor security lights, the non-PIR ones, with 400w lamps. I had a couple that I used for other purposes and saw a reference in a magazine suggesting their use for photography. So I tried them on some old stands and the results seemed promising. I bought a couple more and some new stands and I’ve used them for all my recent model photos. The photo shows a set-up for photographing a small area of the layout. The light on the right is pointing down to provide the main illumination. The other two are pointing up at the ceiling and give a soft fill-in light which can help to reduce the contrast of the picture.

As you can see, I haven’t got a lot of space between layout and wardrobes so the option of using reflective umbrellas to provide the fill-in is probably not possible. When I’m photographing a large area of the layout I’ll use two direct lights, one near each end of the layout, angling them so that they cast shadows in roughly the same direction. The other two lights then provide the fill-in, pointing up as before.

At the far end of the layout you can see a blue painted board with some ‘trees’ along the bottom edge. I use this to provide extra sky when needed (it only contributed a small area for this set-up) or background trees when shooting from the rear of the layout.

I manually set the camera’s white balance rather than use the normal auto setting. I find the tungsten option works fairly well without any further tweaking.

Here’s the photo I shot, picking up on a recent topic on this thread. About as near to a fish train as I’m likely to get! It’s going north, so is presumably empty.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
Just checking the previous post and noticed that the thread had been viewed 16666 times. And I'm (half) watching The Omen. Should I be worried?...

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
Aargh! Sorry, I’ve been a complete rissole.  Only when I couldn’t find it myself and then searched for “Key Publishing” did I realise the mag is called “Steam Days”

Got it! And it is a nice picture. Lovely exhaust. Thanks Steve.

Online Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:46 pm »
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Food for thought.  :hmmm: :thankyousign:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:45 pm »
Yes, thanks for the info about your lighting techniques.  :thumbsup:

The A4 photo is brill!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Some years ago, when I bought a transition period green Class 55, I wanted a picture of it hauling maroon coaching stock, as it would have on the ECML. Trouble was, I only owned one maroon coach!

So I cheated and took a shot of it emerging from a tunnel with just the one coach showing.

I guess you could  always do that with the two fish vans, implying that there's heaps of them behind!

But it is cheating, I suppose. Great picture as is.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:51:48 pm by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #428 on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:19 pm »
I guess you could  always do that with the two fish vans, implying that there's heaps of them behind!
But it is cheating, I  suppose.

As if I'd do a thing like that!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »
I’ve had a go at adding real coal to a couple of locos. Both the BR 5MT and the ex-WD have their motors in the loco so there’s plenty of space in the tender. I decided not to fill them to the brim – surely engines must have used some coal on their journeys but most models seem to suggest otherwise!

The coal is Peco fine grade and I poured it into the tender and then added some drops of Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement to hold it in place. I need to add some more stray lumps on the flat area behind the bunker of 90201 which looks as though it will need to stop for a top-up soon.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:28 pm »
Very nice work and another excellent photo. The BR Lined Green Standard Class loco. is one of my favourite models. I'm glad that it's in immaculate condition.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #431 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:30 pm »
It certainly looks realistic to have the tender other than full to capacity.
Looks good. I do like the WD.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2018, 08:23:30 pm »
I do like the idea of not a full coal load,unfortunately my Union Mills 3f I am working on has the motor in the tender so its going to have to be a full load in mine. Really nice pics of your two locos, I need to use a better camera to take some pics of my layout, I tend to use my phone most of the time.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2018, 09:26:13 pm »
It's certainly on my to-do list for my steamers. I was considering mugging a few 'first-footers' but reckon I can persuade my bruv-in-law to part with a lump of coal I can take my angst out on :D

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #434 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:14 pm »
It's certainly on my to-do list for my steamers. I was considering mugging a few 'first-footers' but reckon I can persuade my bruv-in-law to part with a lump of coal I can take my angst out on :D

Years ago, I got a lump from the tender of a 'Hiker', on the Fort William - Mallaig service, for modelling purposes.  This appealed to my sense of whimsy.  I also got a hurl on the footplate but, even now, I had better say no more about that.  But the tender certainly was not full at the end of the run!

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything