!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 462 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Video Games
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:53 pm »
Anyone on here into video games, I have always played games on the computer but I have recently started to play The Witcher 3 video game. It is a RPG game and I just love it at the moment, I first played it a few years ago so this is my second stint, managed to get to a lofty  level 16 this time.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Video Games
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:51:07 am »
The only computer games I really got into were the Myst series in the nineties. Problem solving stuff rather than shoot ups.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:23 am »
In the 80s my (wise) parents ignored my pleas for an Atari, preferring I played outside. Long story short, I've never been a video game person. They are lost on me, and now when I try with my kids I'm too old to do the buttons and get frustrated. They aren't fun.

NOW, that does not mean I didn't enjoy Spy Hunter, Poll Position and a few other arcade games in my youth.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline ChrisWV10

• N Gauge Society Number: 19469
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:09 pm »
Yep, love RPG, adventure and fantasy type shooters (aliens rather than people) not started witcher 3 as I got stuck on the first boss in Witcher 2  :-[

Diablo 3, kingdoms of Amalur (on 360) are particular favourites. Bioshock, uncharted, infamous, mass effect (still to play 3 and 4 is out next month so better pull me finger out!) I'm a solo player rather than online tho have tried Neverwinter. Also 'cute' games like Ratchet and Clank, mario/Zelda, anything lego and...ahem, skylanders.

Call of duty (after cod2 cos it's ok to shoot nazis  :D ) FIFA , any sport or driving game leave me cold. Never got the hang of Gears of War either.

C.  :)

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
The only computer games I really got into were the Myst series in the nineties. Problem solving stuff rather than shoot ups.
Love those. Still have a few of them. Hate to admit that I had to read the cheat sheets to get through the games.
My favourite was Riven but the puzzles were sometimes impossible.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:19:41 pm »
shoot em ups, gore  and mindless violence  for me,so stuff like gta ,far cry and wolfenstien .Been playing since the days of the zx spectrum,anyone remember that silly security feature "lenslock"?   Currently playing borderlands 2,a  fun game with lots of silly humor.

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »
Neverwinter online for me... My eldest daughter and I play on Saturday evenings, well for her it's evening, for me, next morning. She is in Texas, I'm in Scotland. We talk as we play. It's a great point of contact.
I started gaming on a Spectrum.
Yeah, I like games...
If you play Neverwinter, my character is Paddy o'Doors and I have a companion by name of Patty o'Furniture, say hello!!!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:50 pm »

If you are ever tempted to try other games I thoroughly recommend Portal.  It's an excellent, non-violent puzzle game which is written with a brilliantly funny script.

I'm not really interested in repetitive games, so I don't really bother with FPSs where you tend to repeat the same actions again and again.  I've also not got the best coordination so I tend not to enjoy games where reaction times are important.  I'm  a big fan of strategy games (recently XCOM2 and Europa Universalis 4) and I also like RPGs with a good story and ethical dilemmas to ponder.

I don't understand when people say that they don't like 'games'.  It's like saying you don't like 'films' or 'books' when there is such a wide range of experiences available that you simply can't treat them all with the same brush.  I suppose those people mean that they haven't liked the games that others (perhaps young family members?) have asked them to play.  Rest assured, there are a huge number of other experiences available these days.

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:29 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned train simulators. If you can get into content creation they are almost as satisfying as model railways.

Offline austinbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:36 am »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned train simulators. If you can get into content creation they are almost as satisfying as model railways.
Absolutely right - I use Trainsim 2014 and find it great. You need a fair bit of time on your hands as its all real time when you run the trains. Haven't done any content creation - looks more difficult than N gauge layout building.
Definite advantage that you don't have to clean the track and service the locos!!!  :)    :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Malc

• N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:06:13 am »
I play Dungeons and Dragon style games. Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Neverwinter etc. I found gog.com that is a reasonably priced download site for loads of vintage stuff. Playing the Eye of the Beholder series at present, only cost a few bob.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:55 am »
Way back at work we all used to play doom during lunch and as we were all software developers we installed a private network so we couldn't be spotted

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 12:02:08 pm »
Absolutely right - I use Trainsim 2014 and find it great. You need a fair bit of time on your hands as its all real time when you run the trains. Haven't done any content creation - looks more difficult than N gauge layout building.
Definite advantage that you don't have to clean the track and service the locos!!!  :)    :beers:

If you want a simpler one, our Tiny TrackZ game is on the App Store for iOS and Apple TV too :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything