!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rock face  (Read 1760 times)

Offline simontk

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Sportsbiking
    • Awards
Re: Rock face
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:55 am »
so am I !!! lol

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:38 am »

Hi there,

When we did te cliff face on Paul Churchill's Tormouth layout the first thing we did was look at photos of the real thing.  Different rocks form different colour cliffs, from the red standstone at Dawlsih to white chalk and numerous shades of brown and grey granite, limestone etc in between.

I would be inclined to find some photos of cliffs you like and copy them. For Paul's layout he formed the basic cliff shape wth plaster.  We then attacked it with a knife and modelling clay to build up a more realistic and contoured shape, with diagonal strata, before spraying the whole thing black.

Then emulsion paints from matchpots in various browns and greys was drybrushed on to build up colour.  Using black as the base coat ensured the nooks and crannies appeared realistically dark and shadowy.

THe greenery was added last, and very carefully, as it seems to grow only on areas that are less sloped.

Here is a shot of part of the Tormouth cliff face:

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »
I agree with @Ben A . As a keen student of geology I have learnt how different rock exhibits different erosion and weathering characteristics , and supports different vegetation (which also varies due to aspect). But much can be learnt just by looking at the terrain in detail.
Consider the area you are modelling and examine photos or the landscape itself - is the rock sedimentary or igneous/metamorphic. Look at layers, their orientation, variation, and the presence or absence of such things as folds, mineral veins, faults and variations in colour and texture even within the same rock type, what is growing (or not) and where.

Even if you are not modelling a specific location/area, choose one that best fits your needs so as to aid realism.

The more you study your target, the better your modelled result should be.

And if you like rocks like I do, include bits and pieces of the real thing!
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:57 pm »
These are pieces of bark for rock faces - each strip is about a foot long.  Not so good for sedimentary rock as there are no strata, but I will use them for river-worn rock in the gorge.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline diyrob

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 09:06:52 pm »
Hi Guys. Just been reading through Rock Faces. Was using some Expanding Foam for a d I y job and have made some rock  face out of that. Painted black, when dry and have used dark and light shade Pastel Chalks
 to make the affect. I must say I am well pleased with the way they have turned out. Can be cut to shape and glued together with PVA  :thumbsup:

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 07:01:12 am »
I have seen some very nice bark that was used for rock faces but haven't been able to find any here locally that looked right so I ended up using polystyrene hacked about with various implements.

Some grooves were made with a soldering iron which gives off fumes which are no doubt dangerous, so I took everything outside. I started off trying to do white chalk cliffs but they didn't look right so I changed them to red sandstone cliffs.

To do the coloring I used a first coat of red sandstone colour, then a thin wash of black followed by dry brushing of a light off white.

It was definitely a case of trial and error to get the final result. I also used lots of pictures mainly from google images for reference.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:13:18 am by silly moo »

Offline simontk

• Sportsbiking
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:56 am »
lol

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:20 am »

The last one was upside down for some unknown reason. The cliffs at the back still need finishing off.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:22:10 am by silly moo »

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 04:01:31 pm »
I agree , cork bark  and  tree bark make  very effective rock faces especially if  you  arrange little  flat areas  covered  with  grass  or  gullies  covered in scree.

Aquarium  centres are a good place to find   decent pieces of  cork  bark.
<o({{{<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 04:13:19 pm »
I have cork bark ready to create rock faces but, going by what I've seen of it, it will need plenty of lacquer/sealant as it seems to shed a lot of particles/dust :hmmm:

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:54 pm »
paint it white an  call it limestone...
<o({{{<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 04:21:18 pm »
paint it white an  call it limestone...

I've already called it many things and will add limestone and guano to the list ;D

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here