!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history  (Read 2305 times)

Dancess, ColinH, weave and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:20 am »
Allow me to introduce to you;

I'm afraid I don't know much about Milliedale-on-Sea as I'm a bit young, used to go there from time to time for family holidays and to visit a great aunt (thankfully not a great aunt like that of the G.A. in Swallows and Amazons!) but my grandparents used to take my parents for their summer holidays.

I often used to wonder what it was like in it's heyday, I used to sit on the sand and look out at the oddly truncated pier with it's pleasant, but not quite grand enough pier head, look across the bay at the spa centre and outdoor pool and look back at the double station buildings, walking past the run of large guest-houses to the cliff lift back up to the holiday park - all caravans by the 1980's but what did it used to be like?

Well, to find out a bit more I've been in touch with the local history society who meet in the 'Old Cobblers' every 5th Tuesday of the month, this is what I've found out.

Milliedale on Sea sits in front of Milliedale, a small market town near the sea, wedged between a section of Morcambe bay and the forrest of Bowland south of the river Lune but far enough from Blackpool and Fleetwood that the Victorians paid it some attention and with the arrival of the railway, surprisingly a branch of the Lancaster and Carlisle (later Furness before becoming part of the LNWR) built a branchline down towards Blackpool, however the funding ran out and only the section down through the headland was completed, leaving the first station (later the through platforms) and the foundations for starting a viaduct over the lower lying ground. The station was finished as two lines to be able to use it as a run-around with a long siding between in which a train could be stored either freight awaiting a road, or a trip working.

It wasn't long before the Midland arrived from Manchester building the larger station building and the terminus lines, having swept around the grand curve of the viaduct It was shortly after this that Milliedale was forgotten and the whole town that had grown up around and absorbed the market town became the resort town of Milliedale on Sea.

After acquiring the LNWR in the 1920's grouping, the LMS made the original station a through station to give access to the North, over time they also widened the embankment behind the town to build locomotive facilities and the marshalling yard to handle the freight that could not be handled by the goods yard by the station (the older LNWR goods siding to the north of the station having long gone)

So, that's the tale of two stations covered!
I would have found out more, but the local history group appear to be lightweights, talkative after a beer or two, but not for long, not sure how much I trust their account, but there's no other information other than people's holiday memories... :)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »
Thanks for starting the thread, look forward to seeing how you bring it to life

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:41:37 pm »
Thanks for starting the thread, look forward to seeing how you bring it to life

Thanks for stopping by,
I've been working on baseboards, track plan and wiring in a separate planning topic here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30425.0

That will continue until track is laid and working, this topic will run in parallel for a while with scenic planning before taking over as the main topic :)

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »

I would have found out more, but the local history group appear to be lightweights, talkative after a beer or two, but not for long, not sure how much I trust their account, but there's no other information other than people's holiday memories... :)

Trouble is after a beer or two they talk a load of 'Old Cobblers' so probably best try and catch them stone cold sober. What you have learned so far seems quite interesting, though.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 05:33:08 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you build on your research.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »
Been working on the station building (the old L&C station) over Christmas,
nearly there, just chimney pots and guttering to add next, attention turning to the new goods shed first so I can get the guttering figured on a simpler structure :)

Three areas in progress at the moment;

Baseboard - need to mock up track bed to check for clearances and fit

Buildings - station building as above, goods shed and also station hotel

Control - nearly finished my MERG DCC handset, need to get it up and running and work out a control panel that doesn't look like an early computer!

Online newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:27:59 pm »
And a very impressive building it is, too! :goggleeyes:

'Bout time the Yorkshire embassy in Lancashire took their decs down, though :P

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:25:59 pm »
Photo is a few days old, just not gotten around to uploading them due to the long visit by the members of the Yorkshire Embassy in Mallorca (my inlays)

It's the old Kestrel kit after a lot of filing to neaten the edges and put together with magnetic corners, it's gone together slowly but well.

mix of acrylic paint from The Works for the brickwork, mixed to colour, all white woodwork has a bit of yellow mixed in to try and tone down the bright white of modern paint

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:46:32 pm »
I've just noticed that "Old Cobblers" is very nearly an anagram of "cold sober"

Online newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:16 pm »
Where the 'l' has the other 'b' gone

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:55 am »
I did say "nearly"!
But sure as "L" some"B" will take issue

MIke

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 11:44:25 am »
I really enjoyed the introductory 'back story' and will look forward to seeing how your layout develops, this year.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:28:43 pm »
I've just noticed that "Old Cobblers" is very nearly an anagram of "cold sober"

Not intentionally, the "Old Cobblers" is so called because Milliedale on Sea exists only in my head, except for the bits that have made it onto paper :)

So, essentially the backstory is a 'load of old cobblers' but gives direction to the layout, hopefully making it believable. :)

10 points for anyone who can identify the location depicted in the travel poster...

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
Hi looks a bit Aberystwyth -ish

Robert 

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:15:13 pm »
On a trip away for our anniversary myself and Black Ewe were staying at Hutton Roof so went to visit Milliedale on sea, specifically to see if we could find any trace of the lido / spa centre and in a way I wish we hadn't, it looked absolutely rotten boarded up and clearly disused and hard to see in, the only benefit of going was to see how it physically fitted into the sea wall. Black Ewe took some photos on her phone as mine doesn't have much memory.

need to work out the bridge height for the elevated track-bed so I can get started on the Lido plans (assuming the heritage group can stay sober long enough to visit the public records office on my behalf :D )

What I know about the lido so far is that it was a salt-water lido constructed in 1926 comprising an art deco winged building comprising of mens and ladies changing rooms, sun decks, cafe and separate pump house supporting the diving platform. The building was adapted with the central roof line raising to accommodate the restored cliff railway which was completed by the holiday camp on the cliff top.

The lido was significantly altered some time around the early 60's making it almost un-recognisable but I've seen no records as to why.

Slightly closer to home, I've pretty much completed St Leonard's church that sits on the main road behind the promenade but more on that, and the CofE school that accompanies it later.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything