!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My other hobby.  (Read 738 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
My other hobby.
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:20 am »

Year 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 petrol in-line 6, only done 67,000 miles, should be good for a few more yet! My other hobby..........buying petrol!!  :claphappy:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My other hobby.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:14:38 am »
My 'other hobby' is gazing at 'heavenly bodies' late at night through a powerful telescope  :goggleeyes:.
But please don't call the police  :no:.
Back garden astronomy is not a crime, so far as I know!  :)

But I was looking at buying a new 10" dobsonian (the type of mount) with 'go-to' and the price tag, and wondering why ALL my hobbies are of the expensive kind! :doh:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Jimbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:47:58 am »
 :laughabovepost:

I know the feeling! I'll be down to single figures mpg I expect after we purchase a caravan which is the intention! Not too keen on Diesel engines and there aren't many petrol engine cars with this sort of 'get you out of trouble' type capabilities, steam would be preferable!!  :D
'Keep it country!'

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »
LPG Conversion works well on those beasties!  ;)

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:58:35 am »

I know the feeling! I'll be down to single figures mpg I expect after we purchase a caravan which is the intention! Not too keen on Diesel engines and there aren't many petrol engine cars with this sort of 'get you out of trouble' type capabilities, steam would be preferable!!  :D

Mmm, but wouldn't you have to fill the caravan with coal and water (in the manner of a tender) in that case? Or would you have two caravans, a kind of B Set if you will, with one for the coal and water and the other as a living accommodation?
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Jimbo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:16 am »
LPG Conversion works well on those beasties!  ;)

Yes there are quite a few around with the LPG conversion, I didn't fancy that to be honest, while I was looking around and doing my research before I bought it there seemed to be quite a few folks who were having problems with the systems they had installed, and really I would like to keep it as original as possible with maybe a few sensible mods like a cold air intake kit and get rid of the rear muffler, also a quick shifter modification to the auto gearbox but I haven't had it long, only a few Months, I've sourced another set of original alloys slightly less corroded than mine so they will be sent off for refurbishment sometime after Christmas then i'll swap them over, it'll be a sort of rolling project if you like! It is my everyday car but I don't do an awful lot of mileage so the fuel consumption isn't really an issue, I knew what I was getting into and went into it with my eyes wide open, I went for the straight six engine as it's a good old workhorse and the basic design has been around since the late 1940s but it's been refined over the years! It's not a speed machine but it'll probably pull a house down!
'Keep it country!'

Offline Jimbo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:03:57 am »

Mmm, but wouldn't you have to fill the caravan with coal and water (in the manner of a tender) in that case? Or would you have two caravans, a kind of B Set if you will, with one for the coal and water and the other as a living accommodation?

No not a 'B' set, an auto trailer on the back for push/pull working!.......maybe even a top feed on the bonnet!  :bounce:
'Keep it country!'

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:05:11 am »
It's not a speed machine but it'll probably pull a house down!

Friend of mine with a V6 twin-turbo Sierra took his caravan to Wales for a week a couple of years back, average fuel consumption . . . . .

9mpg !!  :confused1:

That did include one mad moment overtaking a line of cars uphill at 80mph though :D

Paul

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:10 am »
Shades of 2014 when I was in UK and car at home was leaking oil a million litres a millisecond while we were out having dinner!  :worried:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jimbo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:10 am »
It's not a speed machine but it'll probably pull a house down!

Friend of mine with a V6 twin-turbo Sierra took his caravan to Wales for a week a couple of years back, average fuel consumption . . . . .

9mpg !!  :confused1:

That did include one mad moment overtaking a line of cars uphill at 80mph though :D

Paul

:laughabovepost: .........with the poor ol' caravan flapping about in the breeze not even touching the floor!!  :laugh3:
'Keep it country!'

Offline Jimbo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 11:49:55 am »
Shades of 2014 when I was in UK and car at home was leaking oil a million litres a millisecond while we were out having dinner!  :worried:

George

That reminds me of the old BSA, didn't have to keep checking the oil level I knew when it needed topping up as there was a dry patch underneath it!
'Keep it country!'

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here