!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: new car well s/h  (Read 3095 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: new car well s/h
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 04:16:33 am »

Oy' - Its uphill on the way back   :wave:

Yes but, if you are getting a tow ............  :P  ;). Actually, I was a reading a test report for a Mercedes the other week, (can't remember what model), and the reviewer was impressed with the mpg figure.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 10:19:27 am »
I've had 65 mpg out of it - On a trip down to Windsor and back to Preston  :P
So ner ner, ner ner  :P :P :P

Hey, that's good. :thumbsup:

I agree that that figure is good - but when you have a following tail wind and it is all downhill...........  :)

Ah, David :doh: - just when I was trying to lull him into a false sense of security prior to delivering the coup de grace in a similar fashion. :D

Oy' - Its uphill on the way back   :wave:

Yes, but taking you northerners back home when you venture into the deep south is no problem for those AA Relay drivers. They're used to it.  :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 11:19:22 am »
Actually, I was a reading a test report for a Mercedes the other week, (can't remember what model), and the reviewer was impressed with the mpg figure.

Humour aside, it is quite amazing what vehicle manufacturers are achieving with fuel consumption figures these days. I remember getting high mpg from my motorbikes back in the day, while my Dad was struggling with what we now know to be dreadful consumption figures withnhis various cars over the years. But now those high mpg's I got are readily available from cars. I note however from a recent survey reported in the Guardian that only 2 cars achieved the manufacturers claimed mpg rates, with "thousands" getting around 30% less.

Happily my wife and I, co-drivers of the same car, manage to get above claimed mpg with our VW Golf.  My heady speed days are behind me - most of the time - and cost per mile is now an important consideration. Execept when I get the odd chance to drive my step-sons Golf R, when a return to the 'golden days' of madness and low fuel economy momentarily return. Happily my reaction times are still good and I got a very good rating at a Silverstone Experience Day a few years ago. But age does make you a little more circumspect. Age, and the desire to see the grandchildren growing up.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
nice motor but hey , my little Bond can push to pointer off the clock and 0 to 60 in about 10 sec's  , and its 47 years old ......

My Dad had a Bond -  back in the late 60's
I remember us breaking down over East Lancs - It just wouldn't start with the ignition
Dad opened the bonnet - and tried the kickstarter (they were fitted with Honda bike engines)
A guy came out of his house and said "Nay lad - It's not that bad is it?"

maybe your thinking of the Minicar fitted with Villiers 2 stroke motors , nowadays to save  dynastarter bush wear I normally kick mine over .
The bond in question is my Bond 875 fitted with Hillmans 875 Imp unit , pushing 8 cwt instead of Hillmans 12 cwt , incredible power to weight ratio , to date it has been the fastest family production three wheeler , Brands Hatch saw John Surtees lapping at over 100 mph .
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjd66-WnsnQAhVmIsAKHdFNDvsQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bondownersclub.co.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNHcj5mMzGzmRBciVOpumyLWtImycw&bvm=bv.139782543,d.ZGg

He thought he was kicking the crap out of the engine.......   :laugh: :laugh:

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 04:18:27 pm »
Ah the joys of three-wheeler motoring! :thumbsup:

My maths teacher at school had a red Bond Minicar which was slightly more stable, though not as quick, as the Reliant Regal Van I acquired for 50 in the early '80's when my three-cylinder Suzuki 380 developed engine problems.

I loved it as only three-wheeler owners can, and had some good driving times in it, even managing 80 mph on the M4 on the way home from a touring holiday of Wales. Well, that's what the speedometer said.

Sadly it met its demise, as far as I was concerned, when that winter nemesis of the third wheel - the ridge of snow left by normal cars down the middle of the road - saw it slide a bit on the ice, get caught by the wind and a manhole, slide a bit more, hit the grass verge then execute a perfect 360 degree axial roll to come down chassis first on an iron railling field fence. My brother in law had made an involuntary exit via the back door, which he had not stopped to open, and was sat on said door in a deep snow drift as my wife and I climbed out of the seemingly otherwise undamaged car, none of us injured at all.

We rolled it back on to the road and I drove us all home. The fibreglass body had in fact cracked in half and was almost detached from the chassis, but over a week we glued it back together, got it through an MOT and sold it a short while later for more than I paid for it.

Happy days. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »
                                       "I remember us breaking down over East Lancs"

I hope you did not mean the East Lancs Road, that was notorious on the 60's/70's. There were stories of people braking down with a flat tyre and having no spare, going away to get a wheel fixed and coming back to the car to find it had no wheels at all....... :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Some of the Bond cars with the Villiers 2 stroke engine had a reverse system which started the engine in reverse. I( have seen lots of those Viliers bikes I worked in a bike shop in the 60's after leaving school.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here