!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cars -or rather cleaning / valeting them  (Read 1461 times)

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
Cars -or rather cleaning / valeting them
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
I'm a complete petrolhead and 90's Toyota's are my main passion but my personal circumstances changed a couple of yers ago and have been lead astray.  Nevertheless I am keen to post my latest project because it's filthy and, whilst I struggle to wash my own dishes or hoover my appartment until someone visits, I can clean a dirty car!!!!  If I won the lottery I dont think Id ever buy a new car but I might buy more old ones to do up.

I changed my '09 plate Ibiza for a late 03 V40 1.8 sport with "cream" interior.  I just wanted to show how easy it is to clean a car, in my case sticky seats first as an easy start...

Products required:
1-off bottle of Zymol leather cleaner (about 10)
1-off dish-washing brush (already had)
1-off "magic eraser" (about 2)
1-off terry cloth about half the size of a tea-towel.  You can use a microfibre cloth or anything else properly absorbent also (already got cloths)

Procedure:
Spray the Zymol lightly on to the leather, move it around with your hands so it spreads evenly and doesn't pool in the seams / stitching, work on one section at a time eg. middle of base, side bolster, middle of backrest, headrest etc etc. You actully dont need much to get a good foam
Take the brush and very lightly scrub everywhere.  Left to right, up and down and circles, the bristles get ino the texture
Wipe off foam with cloth, do not scrub in dirty foam
Repeat the above
Spray on the zymol and LIGHTLY use a wetted magic eraser around the dirty bits  or over it all DO NOT apply pressure as it may wear-off the surface of the leather, use left to right, up and down and in circles
Wipe off the residue and keep repeating all the above if required or until no more muck comes out

...30 mins later I had the difference between the two front seats (It wasn't obvious just how bad the original condition was -the pic is fairly representative) :goggleeyes:

Terry cleaning cloth, BOTH SIDES the same due a wash!

I normally take more pics of my projects (I have all my old project stages logged) but didnt start taking so many this time. I will take more as I go now.  My boot was all ex-dog owner hairy matted and what I guessed to be dog poo and pee / slobber stained.  I swear by vansih carpet and upholstery cleaner, same dish brush and a hoover once everything dries and now it looks and smells almost factory fresh for only 1hr work.

...I'm not one of the fanatical detailing guys who orders demineralised water to wash the car.  But I do seem to have a fetish for leaning muck off a car.  It's all on' tinternet but thought I'd share my hints and tips because it doesnt take much to clean for selling to get much more money.  By the way having done both front seats now, I still have 75% of the zymol and 50% of one magic eraser left so the outlay goes a fair way.

Rich

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:49:06 pm by RST »

Offline ozzie Bill.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cars -or rather cleaning / valeting them
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:22:28 pm »
Wow. That is incredible. Thank you for sharing this. BTW, what is a "magic eraser" please?

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »
how do I book my grubby heap in for your treatment  :D

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:36 pm »
At that point I think we should form an orderly queue for RSTs services. I  can however wash up, I hate a dirty kitchen.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:00:13 am »
Wow. That is incredible. Thank you for sharing this. BTW, what is a "magic eraser" please?

They used to be sold as JML Magic Erasers, but I think they have other names now. They are a sort of foam block (a little like a white version of a flower arranger's oasis block). You'll probably find them in most supermarkets. Dampen a piece and rub to clean things - from experience they will remove children's crayoning and even some pen marks from emulsioned wallpaper!

Offline ozzie Bill.

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:18:33 am »
Thanks Steve. I'll see if I can find them in Oz. Cheers, Bill.

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:54:35 pm »

They used to be sold as JML Magic Erasers, but I think they have other names now. They are a sort of foam block (a little like a white version of a flower arranger's oasis block). You'll probably find them in most supermarkets. Dampen a piece and rub to clean things - from experience they will remove children's crayoning and even some pen marks from emulsioned wallpaper!

They are foamed melamine, a very mild abrasive.  On the west side of the pond they are sold under the "Mr Clean" name (a Procter and Gamble brand) as Magic Eraser.  Many uses and relatively low cost.  It looks like a similar product is available in Oz under the Chux brand...those all are two layer whilst the original is just a uniform block of foam.

Jon

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 03:53:55 pm »
nice job on the seats , time to pick the kids up  :D

Offline DELETED

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:21:52 pm »
By all means come and clean my place, but it'll be a long drive up to Inverness LoL!!!!

You can find magic eraser easy enough.  Never really been round an Aldi until yesterday, didn't like most of it but I found a big block of 6 for 1.65 compared to the flash (cif) 2 each I've been paying n the big stores.

Not much else to show.  Did a 350 mile round trip to my Mothers this weekend.  I got 2 boxes back from her garage of valeting gear though a delay in getting my polisher which is where the real work is.  Bought a demonshine tub of "snow foam" c/w gun.  Washed the car at hers yesterday and it seemed to work ok (I have no hose pipe available at mine), 160 miles back home though and the car is filthy again.

Back seats cleaned when I got home.  Again, another 30 min job  then set-off an A/C cleaner "bomb" and left the car running with A/C on full re-circ for 20 mins...

(same both sides of the cloth)

Original pic never came out.  Seats all brown, full of weird stains and white snotty crusts.

A/C bomb!!  Car didn't really smell but A/C is full of bugs -better to do this once evry 2 years at most.

...Have to dig a boit deeper behind carpets this week.  I always prefer Japanese imports if at all possible.  One car I had I found old copies of Japanese newspapers, parking fines and what I presumed sweets and soy sauce sachets in the spare wheel well., and I was about the 3rd UK owner!!!!!

Offline DELETED

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 11:36:26 pm »
My weekend attempts hit a set-back:

Didn't have my Sealey rotary polisher as I'd let my brother have the use of it and I left hime some pads and compound.  Decided I'd have best go myself:

1. Jet washed, then washed and dried car, Went over whole exterior with deep paint cleaner
Combination of scratchcleaners applied by hand and via pad fitted in battery drill.  Not a great solution but amazed just how many scratches came out
2. Polish
3. Wax
4. Sealer ontop

......Sealer was where it went wrong though it's brough up most of it OK.  Obviously I never really corrected the scratches so every little ship, scratch and defect collected the sealer which wasn't possible to buff-out afterwards.  I went from ropey paint > tidy and conceal everything > final result = highlighting every single defect in white (on dark blue paint!) and it looks worse than when I started.

...Leasson learned.  And also without a garage it's very difficult to do anything outside requiring a full days attention now.  You only seem to get 3-4hr windows at weekends now which is not much time, or it's blistering sun for a few hrs and can't o much painting wise because it's too hot -but chuckes it down 3h later ???  Used to have access to a spraybooth at work -had it too good before I guess!!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 11:02:33 pm »
pretty impressive cleaning job there, you want to get yourself a valeting job.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:08 am »
I found a load of tins of snuff in the wheel well of one car I bought in the 70s. Wilsons of Sheffield were the manufacturer. The car had been one of their fleet cars.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything