!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Which Flangeway clearance would be preferred?

Large 1mm Flangeways, most RTR locos & stock can run through unmodified
107 (54.9%)
Finer 0.8 - 0.85mm Flangeways, RTR locos & stock will need back to backs checking with a Gauge
88 (45.1%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: 'Gauging' Interest- New fiNetrax code 40 N Gauge Track System?  (Read 173299 times)

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: 'Gauging' Interest- New fiNetrax code 40 N Gauge Track System?
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:22 am »
I suppose that the template and geometry is simply a ratio of the divergence, I guess that means that only the maths is patentable.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 09:40:17 am »
It's all looking very impressive to me, and I can see a lot of hard work has gone into this.

As a side line (and I'm sure there wouldn't be a huge demand at the moment), but it would be great if someone made '3rd Rail' components.  I don't know anywhere that makes the chairs/insulators to the rail.  Hopefully more 3rd rail EMU's will be considered by the manufacturers. Anyway, this will probably end up being another debate for another topic really.  :D

Offline polo2k

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:06 am »
Maybe it could be possible to make some fittings that go on the sleeper ends and provide the chair. kinda like an add on pack
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:16 am »
That's what I meant Ash - I should have said that really.  :)  I'm sure the modeller could buy the track, sleepers, and the 3rd Rail fittings, and then drill a pin hole into the sleepers to slot in the fittings.

Offline Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17722
  • 2mm Association Number: 4584
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
This maybe possible to produce with flatbottom rail and nickel or brass etched chairs. It would require soldering, however.
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

www.britishfinescale.com - Home of fiNetrax Code 40 Track System

Online Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
I would certainly be in the market for about 8 meters of third rail in code 40 along with the chairs required. I think that would look great.

The alternative right now is code 55 and some superglue!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2012, 01:05:46 pm »
Hi Wayne

Like many I have been coming back to this subject regularly and have read your updates and people's thoughts with great interest.

The progress to date looks very promising indeed.

I can only repeat what I said earlier in the thread. Simplicity is key. Even if not quite a "shake the box and it is made" product,  it all has to go together in a user-friendly and simple way. If people find it easy to use, and the product works as well as it looks, they will come back and get more, if it requires too much effort, they will likely not. An effective method of joining rails needs to be considered, I cannot see N modellers in general wanting to use wire droppers every 18 inches or less.

Once you are up and running, it may be an idea to release a "test" or starter pack (Like 2mm SA do with "Easitrack"), covering all the basic assembly requirements, so that people can have a go, and hopefully see how easy it is to use, and how good the results.

I look forward to your further updates.

Regards

Roy

Offline MacRat

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
Hi
The CAD images look promising.
Probably I have missed it, what geometry are the points? Will they resemble an actual prototype or will it be a general representation?

Thanks.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2012, 08:49:43 pm »
Peco have or had patents on the way their code 55 is built. You'd need to go read it but I believe its on the embedded rail trick.

As for what to match - if its aimed at accurate modelling then I'd suggest the prototype - so akin to easitrac UK spacings, code 40 rail and probably 'correct' pointwork (ie a B8 or similar).

The pinholes and plug in chairs are a genius idea, that really takes away all the nasty lining and gauging work.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline idlemoor

• Google+
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »
It's quick and easy to do an online patent search.  It appears that Peco never had many patents and they've all expired.  In particular the Code 55 one, EP0059107 of 1982 -- Owner: Sydney Charles Pritchard, Title: Small-gauge model railway track -- ceased on 23 February 1998. 
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=EP&NR=0059107&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP

"A small-gauge model railway track comprises a sleeper base (2) moulded of a piastics material with sleeper portions (3) to which metal rails (1), each having a section including a bottom base portion, defined by flanges or enlargements (5) along opposite sides of the bottom of a rail, embedded in the plastics material and an intermediate base portion defined by flanges or enlargements (6) projecting from and along opposite sides of the rail between the bottom base and the top running surfaces (7) of the rail, the rails (1) being secured to the sleeper base (2) with the undersurfaces of the flanges or enlargements (6) of the intermediate base portion substantially level with the upper surfaces of the sleeper portions (3)."

And there's a nice diagram.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:44:30 pm by idlemoor »
It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.

Offline Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17722
  • 2mm Association Number: 4584
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »
OK, in that case I beleive I will match peco geometry for the first run of bases. I can then add more prototypical bases, such and a B8, in due course.
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

www.britishfinescale.com - Home of fiNetrax Code 40 Track System

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:41 pm »
Personally I wouldn't worry about matching Peco geometry - I can't see that people who want Peco geometry are your target market.  If they want finer scale track then prototype geometry should be the way to go.

Cheers, Mike

Online Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »
I agree Red_Death.  Prototype is the aim for a new entry into the market with real-scale rail height.  A Peco me-too isn't going to find the right niche.

I would definitely aim for as prototypical as practicable.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »
I've been following this debate with some interest. Some of the suggestions would make things very complicated and simple is best, at least to start with. Love the idea of the holes for the chairs. Now thats what I call idiotproof! A track kit thats complete, no gauge rollers or anything extra to have to buy!  8) With regards to angles, I would have a 'matching' geometry like Peco do. This would make it easier for any one wishing to go from propriety track to a scale one like you're proposing. After all, modellers went from Peco code 80 to code 55 found it easy because the geometry was the same. In other words, it was familiar. If there is a degree of familiarity then you'll interest more people who are looking for a better scale track but don't want to go down 2FS route. Those who want things exact to fit will 'bash' and 'shoehorn' them in just as they do now with other brands. Those who are fussier still will probably go 2FS. I would use fishplates though as the absence of them will deter some people. What you've done so far looks the biz.  :thumbsup:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:54 pm »
Moogle,

What do you mean by a matching geometry? Do you mean the same as Peco? I can't see why that matters, in fact quite the opposite I can see why it would people off.

It isn't to me a case of being fussy, but a case of why would you not just follow the prototype (although at least one of the Peco geometries is fairly close to one of the prototype angles).

As an aside - would square pegs and holes help make the point chair location even more foolproof?

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything