!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: bit quiet here? Come in and chat some - American Railroads  (Read 3499 times)

Offline RossE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: bit quiet here?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 08:40:48 pm »
Hi all,
My story is pretty much the same as everyone else's; life seems to dominate and thus work on the layout slows to a halt. Hopefully though the festive period will bring with it a window of time to get cracking on the layout and move things forward a tad.
On that note- a merry Christmas to you all. If the past few weeks are anything to go by I doubt I'll get a chance to say it again beforehand.
Ross

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 11:41:43 pm »
Hi all,
...... Hopefully though the festive period will bring with it a window of time to get cracking on the layout and move things forward...

And a Ho Ho Ho to you too sir. I admire your hopes for the festive season!

Donald

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 01:49:28 am »
Hi Lawrence

First engine I ever bought was a Pennsylvania E or F6 I can't remember now plus 2 coaches I got them in a Beatties in London around 84/5 did a layout in the loft at the parents house that was then I did one a few years back which never got finished due to a freak wind/storm damage in the shed then a couple of years back I started Bramblethorn Moor which is currently on the wip page then last Sun quite by chance I saw a WS Scenic Ridge set which I got and have been looking at some steamers but as I have never bought American steamers I need to check although I'm not to bothered as they have some character .

Thanks for the help and watch this space as I have just nicked some wood from me dads shed as I'm now itching to get started.

Best wishes
Steve

steve

A website that you might find useful in evaluating steamers or diesels too is the Spookshow aka the N Scale Locomotive Encyclopedia to be found at:  http://www.spookshow.net/locos.html

If you are looking for steamers to populate your layout, the recently released Bachmann K4 in Pennsylvania colours might be worth a look. As a Pacific, it is not so big that it will look ugly going around tightish curves and the Spookshow rates it well. Here is a sound equipped version in a promo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9WT1fSkU-I&feature=youtu.be

I don't like the whistle much - is a high-pitched squeak not unlike a British steam locomotive whistle. But, the rest of it sounds pretty good.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: bit quiet here? Come in and chat some - American Railroads
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 01:56:56 am »
I liked the steam sounds but the whistle got on my nerves!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tinyone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25047
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 08:41:15 am »
Hi Steve

Nice to know someone else in this neck of the woods is into N gauge.

I must admit I never considered American outline as all the trains seemed too long even for N, at least for the space I have.

Ray

Hi Ray

My dad (89) is building a 00 layout in my old bedroom its 6x4 and once we put a farm, garage and 2 houses on it , it was full up I personally have always "had a thing" for N gauge and the new one is 6x3 and when its finished it will have mountains tunnels 13 buildings including a factory and possibly even a forest, I'm currently looking at steamers but should wait until its finished as it won't be done overnight  :goggleeyes: Thanks for the link webbo  I'll check that out over the coming weeks I'll also take some pics of the Woodland scenic kit and post later -going to be selling a lot of stuff so need to sort that now

Steve
Little is big and I'm little

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
Hi Steve

I must admit I never considered American outline as all the trains seemed too long even for N, at least for the space I have.

Ray

When you look into American railroads you do find incredible variety and just about anything can be seen. There are plenty of short lines ( some short lines are over 200 miles long) and regional lines. Many of these run short trains and serve many businesses. They run old locos which sometimes retain rather faded liveries of previous owners. Sometimes the old railroad name is painted over in a colour almost similar to the main colour of the loco. Some have had a loco or two painted in heritage liveries. It seems quite common to have two locos at the front of quite short trains. There are also plenty of tourist railways running steam and diesel. There is no reason why a short line can't run tourist trains as well as freight but I can't give an example of this. I have seen photos of Christmas trains complete with Santa and sleigh and fully decorated diesel loco.

So USA does not necessarily mean long trains, but of course it can if you have the space and the dosh. My N gauge railways are based firmly in the UK but my garden railway is a tourist/short line somewhere in the USA.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 02:00:23 am »
Further to my previous post in which I expressed a dislike for the whistle on the Bachmann K4 in the video, it seems that there are two further whistle noises one can choose for this loco. The other two sound much more like how I would think a North American steamer should sound.

Webbo

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 05:38:05 am »
Well said. There is a short line here (Asheville, NC) and at dinner the other night, I heard a train right outside the restaurant. Naturally I bolted outside to find two diesel locomotives (an A and a B unit) in front of TWO hoppers (and nothing else!!!). Many short lines will run a train of only a few cars to service whatever business is on their line, if requested, as most short lines exist to take those rakes of 1-10 cars on to a mainline connection where they are transferred to much larger trains :) And even on models of mainline operators, many US modelers operate rule 1 trains outside of club settings because there simply isn't room for 100 of those things in most of our train rooms/garages!

As for running passenger and freight on a shoreline, passenger ventures tend to be separate from freight but there are some notable exceptions. A good example is the Georgia Northeastern Railroad, which is a short line that operates freight service and owns a subsidiary called the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, which operates a scenic/heritage passenger railway on the same line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Northeastern_Railroad

Hi Steve

Ray

When you look into American railroads you do find incredible variety and just about anything can be seen. There are plenty of short lines ( some short lines are over 200 miles long) and regional lines. Many of these run short trains and serve many businesses. They run old locos which sometimes retain rather faded liveries of previous owners. Sometimes the old railroad name is painted over in a colour almost similar to the main colour of the loco. Some have had a loco or two painted in heritage liveries. It seems quite common to have two locos at the front of quite short trains. There are also plenty of tourist railways running steam and diesel. There is no reason why a short line can't run tourist trains as well as freight but I can't give an example of this. I have seen photos of Christmas trains complete with Santa and sleigh and fully decorated diesel loco.

So USA does not necessarily mean long trains, but of course it can if you have the space and the dosh. My N gauge railways are based firmly in the UK but my garden railway is a tourist/short line somewhere in the USA.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:37 am »
Hello Team!

Ive not been around much of late, due to 'real life' stuff.  Thought I'd say Happy New Year before January is out though, and share the news that Mrs m has found a home for the wardrobe thats been cluttering up my train shed and preventing meaningful time wasting for the last few months.  I am hoping that I will be resuming train activities soon, to coincide with an expected February delivery of my new Intermountain F7 A+B units.  As a minor celebratory start, I have brought a second hand 44 ton Bachmann switcher to life and changed the couplers over to working ones, so I have a new piece of operating kit to play with in the meantime, while I get on with some track cleaning etc.

Incidentally Webbo, I took your advice and shared the news of the Intermountain arrival with the mrs - I covered it by doing without a Christmas present and all is well, although I still do not expect her to be very excited about seeing a nice new train arrive here just as her birthday drops again!

Hope everyone is well, I am looking forward to reading all of the bits Ive missed.

speak soon

Donald

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 02:34:35 am »
Hi Donald

Good to see you back on the rails so to speak. I'm not sure what advice of mine you followed and I hope that I won't be getting into trouble with your other half as a result.

I can report that my Intermountain SD40-2s finally arrived only pretty close to 4 years late!! Hoping your F7s are imminent.

Webbo

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:05 am »
Whilst I always look at "all unread posts" I tend to poke my head into US threads. In an ideal world I'd love a huge US layout, filling some sprawling basement as seems to appear in Model Railroader every time I pick it up. Very jealous of US house building styles!

Can't beat a bit of UP/SP! At risk of heresy if I really did have the space though I'd be tempted to HO! Was admiring some of the Atlas articulated auto racks the other day.

Would love an SP cab forward too, having seen the real thing in Sacramento a couple of times, what an awesome beast!

Offline LongHairedDavid

• N Gauge Society Number: 27625
    • Ebay
    • Pennvale Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:12:28 am »
Sad to say, after over 50 years of modelling US HO/N I have finally sold up and am building a British N Gauge layout. fed up with costs pf importing most of what I need. So, goodbye to the Sunset & North Eastern and hello LMS!

Check out my blog http://www.gmrblog.co.uk
David
FC - Pennvale Sands - N Gauge
Ex - Main Man on the Sunset & North Eastern RR.
http://pennvaleblog.co.uk

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:50:52 am »
G'day from Australia, David, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 03:42:54 pm »
Sad to say, after over 50 years of modelling US HO/N I have finally sold up and am building a British N Gauge layout. fed up with costs pf importing most of what I need. So, goodbye to the Sunset & North Eastern and hello LMS!

Check out my blog http://www.gmrblog.co.uk

Hello Long Haired David, There is a name I recognize from the MRH forum. Sorry to see your S&NE railroad will be filing for abandonment. I completely understand your reason, they are the same reason that keep me from building a German or British layout, shipping charges and fluctuating currency. I was quoted a shipping charge of $30 from the UK for one locomotive and I was quoted a shipping charge of $50 from Germany for one locomotive. The funny part and nothing against any other country, but I've purchased locomotives from Hong Kong that had free shipping and the selling price was cheaper than here in the States, how does that work? OK climbing down from my soapbox now  :D

Thank you for posting a link to your blog and I see you are already off to a great start on your new LMS railway. Have you found any other issues with the Ivatt? Hopefully it's now running smoothly in both directions?

Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 05:01:16 pm »
I do N gauge and I do US railroads but not at the same time.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything