!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction  (Read 112834 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #2040 on: January 11, 2018, 01:20:02 pm »
That is what I have been using too, PVA, I got a big 5L keg out of screwfix last year (you can just see it peeking out behind the red handle in the 1st picture) B&Q sell pretty much the same stuff, in with the building supplies, think you are supposed to use it for plastering or something like (I only know that because I went to get a replacement keg from B&Q and the label put me off, as it had all those things on it and left me thinking it must be a different thing altogether than PVA glue, but when I next checked the keg I had, it said the same thing)

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #2041 on: January 11, 2018, 04:58:20 pm »
Afternoon,

Have to say I'm loving watching this layout progress. Preserved railways always take my interest and this one certainly has me hooked!

Cheers

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2042 on: January 11, 2018, 05:04:44 pm »
Thanks for your kind words Ollie, glad you are liking it - my teenage exploits as a volunteer on the Bo'Ness & Kinneil Railway have had a big influence on the layout

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2043 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:52 am »
So a little black box arrived on the PRPS, ah! an NGS kit I hear you say.....

Not quite, having been shamed by @Innovationgame  and his track cleaning exploits/routines and the fact that I have done very little and got away with it so far (until I started slopping mod rock about the place that is) ... I thought I would invest in a track mop from Mill Lane Sidings

Quite a straightforward build

Now I just have to find some discipline to use it!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2044 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:28 am »
Be interested to see how efficient “a Mrs Mop” you will be with that fantastical device. Like you my track cleaning is infrequent in the extreme, but so far few problems. Innovation games’ cleaning exploits and problems do worry me, although I do run only diesels, which in general seem less problematic (where’s that wood)?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2045 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:15 am »
I am hoping I can find the discipline to use it.... the two Tomix track cleaners I bought a long time back are in various states of undress .... both untested, one has had an attempted fitting of a DCC board/decoder but remains untested (I can't bring myself to face the fact I may have failed in the conversion) ... so I need to get my act together and try not to develop a "track record" in buying cleaning devices, only for them to sit on the shelf!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2046 on: January 12, 2018, 07:55:17 am »
Hmmm, interesting that you have two non working tomix cleaners. I keep thinking about buying one but they are not cheap. I like the concept of setting one off and watching it do all of the work! Maybe with all of this spare time that I allegedly have, the manual approach is for me?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2047 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:02 am »
My logic for two was one running with the cleaning pad, the other on vacuum mode.... I was perusing Plazajapan site for other things and they had them plus spares at a decent price (though that was wiped out by the customs charge when the postie tried to deliver!)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2048 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:58 am »
Ah, the swings and roundabouts of a free market economy!!

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2049 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:34 am »
Not to hijack or divert from the topic but I've been disappointed with my Tomix.

Very temperamental in its operation. Looks like mine needs a stripdown after a run as inverting it to clear the vac'd debris stops the darned thing from working.

Too expensive to be that unreliable.

Reverting back to a mini vac and IPA for cleaning.

Dave G

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2050 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
Now I have even less enthusiasm to test them!  But you are right, at the price they command, they should be good bits of kit

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2051 on: January 12, 2018, 09:49:14 pm »
So a little black box arrived on the PRPS, ah! an NGS kit I hear you say.....

Not quite, having been shamed by @Innovationgame  and his track cleaning exploits/routines and the fact that I have done very little and got away with it so far (until I started slopping mod rock about the place that is) ... I thought I would invest in a track mop from Mill Lane Sidings

Quite a straightforward build

Now I just have to find some discipline to use it!

That looks a very good piece of equipment, Andrew.

The Table-Top Railway's version is much more basic, as you would probably expect:

Chin-chin!

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2052 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »
I spy a newly-delivered BR Green 'Deltic'!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2053 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:17 am »
Not to hijack or divert from the topic but I've been disappointed with my Tomix.

Very temperamental in its operation. Looks like mine needs a stripdown after a run as inverting it to clear the vac'd debris stops the darned thing from working.

Too expensive to be that unreliable.

Reverting back to a mini vac and IPA for cleaning.

Dave G

Thank you Dave. Confirmation that I’ll divert funds away from any potential tomix purchase!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2054 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36:05 am »
Great idea John, like most great ideas, simple and effective!  Nice LNER loco too - What I liked about the track mop was it's long reach, so I can get under road bridges etc.  I suspect you had more fun gathering the materials for yours than I did for the track mop :)  But I will take your idea for cleaning my test track...if only I could find a cork .......  :beers:

The terraformers are definitely in residence at the moment (sounds like it could be a name for a movie franchise or a 70's soft rock group) and the mod-rock has been out in force (glad I bought a job lot!)

I think I got the flatter tops I was looking for, but will mean more cliffs in some parts

While I had the mod-rock out, I worked on the edge between Dunning & Auchterarder, not much space here to work with, but it will prevent things taking a dive

I continued with the road bridge a bit too, adding internal walls. and some stonework to the ramps

I started to pick out some shades of rock, I had some left over paint from doing the rock face at the tunnel entrance, having downloaded the rock formation painting video on youtube, I will progress these a bit further before I apply the grass, got my thinking cap on too for a cameo to have at the entrance to the cave (thinking kilted scotsman talking to a spider, but I think a spider might fall into the N Gauge limitations camp, maybe some cavers or troglodytes, or an N gauge Gollum)

Finally for today, in rolling stock and inter preservation society news, the 2 B sets that arrived from Cant Cove have finally been stripped down ready for entry into the paint shop to have their current livery stripped off (post photo update ... the livery on these is the most belligerent I have dealt with so far... after 3-4 days of soaking, it isn't budging!)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here