!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 41599 times)

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »
I only have first hand knowledge of Dapol and Bachmann in the UK. Dapol, being in Wales, are very helpful for spares as are Bachmann. However they both suffer from "reservation fever" where they map out their ideas for the next 5 years or so. Kato seem to announce at between 4 and 5 months prior to delivery. I know which one I prefer.

What Kato seems not to have is a proper spares/maintenance organisation in Europe and that will tend to cost it friends in the long term, especially as the Swiss models become more popular.

Just some random thoughts,

Mike Beard.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
(1) Kato seem to announce at between 4 and 5 months prior to delivery. I know which one I prefer.

(2) What Kato seems not to have is a proper spares/maintenance organisation in Europe and that will tend to cost it friends in the long term, especially as the Swiss models become more popular.

(1) not really true. The Ge4/4II was announced a year ago for delivery next month

(2) Gaugemaster hold Kato spares, but in my experience (and I have obviously kept a close look on the subject) the spares run out at source in Japan frequently, simply due to the popularity of stuff.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2018, 08:58:34 pm »
Well Gordon, in my experience announcing a new loco for delivery in one years time and actually making it is some sort of miracle.

I suppose you could assume that next month Mr Kato will give us another reason to live another year rather than fall about in mirth as we do at others announcements.

It's almost sane.

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:46 pm »
in my experience announcing a new loco for delivery in one years time and actually making it is some sort of miracle.

It has to do with "we better announce it before the competition does" and then they start the R&D   ;)

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:20 pm »
So I have today ordered a Bernina 9 car unit. Interesting. is it safe to assume that a Ge4/4III can the used to haul the 6 coaches if a railcar is not available?

I watched a Bemo Ge4/4II lift a train, modest length, up a 5% grade today. Any ideas on what a Kato Ge4/4III will lift up a curving 5% grade?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:44 pm »
Anybody got a colour photo of a Ge4/4III roof in service?

Mike, how about this one ?

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2018, 09:05:32 pm »
That's very interesting. It looks like some gentle matting of the paintwork and droppings from the overhead have happened, little more. The real thing is that the insulators seem to be white, not black and the 11kV busbars are much thinner than Kato would have you believe.

Pass the brass wire!

Thank You.

Mike Beard

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series - new Kato announcements
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2018, 10:18:45 am »
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 08:33:38 GMT
Hi Folks,

Kato have released their RhB un-modernised EW1 coaches as two sets, a basic set and an add-on set. Total coast for 8 coaches is about 150 or just under 20/coach. The EW1's can be seen at the bottom in the prototype photo.

The next item to come, in February in Japan, is a RhB Ge4/4II modernised loco. It carries the number 631 and is part of the second series of 11kV locos. Scaled at 1:150 it's about the same size as a UK N Gauge loco.

I understand it has proved to be so popular on pre-orders that a second run, unfortunately with same number, is planned in May. The prices quoted in Euros can be easily bettered BTW. Noch do add a huge mark-up!.

It seems there is an unknown coming up on the outside.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard. I
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2018, 10:53:57 am »
I assume these are the same EW1 coaches already noted earlier here and that I bought from Train Trax last September, and had been released a month or so before in Japan.

As for the "unknown coming up on the outside", I wonder if this refers to the MDS Modelle items mentioned elsewhere earlier on this Forum that are currently listed to pre-order on websites such as Menzels Lokshuppen and Modellbahn Kramm?

https://www.menzels-lokschuppen.de/Nach-Hersteller/MDS-Modell/

Includes Ge 4/4II locos in various liveries as well as some much wanted RhB freight cars.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:18 am »
The freight cars look good, and well priced for a pair too. The Mk2s seem quite competitive too, and look like their DCC (and sound) ready. Can't believe Kato still resist DCC compatibility quite so staunchly.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2018, 12:03:27 pm »
Hi Folks,

The quote by "Railwaygun" is taken from another N gauge chat site, very UK based. The guy coming up on the outside is Mr Kato. Good quality at a good price. Popular railway, look at Bemo's sales and exhibition layouts, look at the number of tourists, not all Japanese. Astute move long term. :D

My order for the 9 car Bernina line train was rejected, I assume because they made such a mighty Large Ricket  of supplying a previous Christmas present order. I now have a 5 car unit, the railcar and two coaches, on order elsewhere.  :censored:

So much to do, so little time,

Mike Beard.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:08:19 pm by Mike Beard »

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »
To be fair, I don't see Kato and Bemo as true rivals - to me the Kato items are still more 'trainsety' (it's a word) than the Bemo offerings. My take would be that the popularity appears to have caught them slightly off guard, and subsequent releases do seem to be trying to address that - cavernous gaps between coaches spring to mind. Branching into older locos, coaching stock etc is clearly about having a holistic range, rather than some souvenirs for the tourist market.

I've yet to see a proper layout in the flesh using the Kato range, but the MDS items look like they'd broaden the scope significantly to make it a more practical reality without scratchbuilding.

Given the price of Bemo stuff these days I'd still be tempted down the Kato route, although I've always liked the idea of having HOm and HO side by side, which wouldn't really work with the Kato.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:50 pm »
I do understand the point about Kato being to "train set" standards. This can be addressed by substituting different couplers for the horrid Rapido ones they started fitted to the Glacier Express sets. The other items that need addressing are the roof fittings on the locos. Certainly the busbars etc need to be finer and the pantographs really need replacing with more proper metal ones.

To be fair to Kato the EW1 sets include instructions on fitting semi-permanent couplings to the Glacier Express coaches and the two different EW1 sets include two spare couplings each to enable this. Also there is a conversion kit available in Japan to couple the full set of Glacier Express coaches closer together. It includes shorter corridor connections but I understand that these only need to be fitted if your using the Kato 6" curves otherwise the fitted longer ones are fine.  It makes sense to use semi-permanent couplings. On a typical "Roundy-roundy" layout how often would you separate the loco from its coaches?  There is a halfway house of fitting MicroTrains couplings at the end of semi-permanent sets and on locos and railcars. Freight stock is another problem and I would think that some experimentation will be needed to find a semi-automatic coupling system but I'd lean towards MicroTrains and Rix uncouplers.

The MDS bogie vans are going to be a welcome addition but might we risk drowning in a sea of pure water as there are no other wagons readily available? What couplings do they come with? This is still unclear.

It's going to take a couple of years from now to produce anything approaching an exhibition layout as not everything necessary is available in 1:150 scale. Bit of an understatement there but still. I'm hoping to have a 12' x 2' layout "in the nude", ie bare wood and working track but no decoration, by this time next year. Worle New Year Show and all that? We'll see.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »
Not sure that's true, 1:148 and 1:160  are rather well established after all, and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference for many items.

I agree that they're trying to move away from the trainset image, indeed I said as much, which is laudable. Would be good to continue to see the range expand.

It's still fighting a battle of the scales too - as the track scales to a whopping 35% wider than the prototype. Whilst British N is about 8% too narrow it's hard to overlook a 35% discrepancy, and don't the Ge4/4 IIIs scale too short too, possibly as a result of ensuring they'll work on their 6" radius curves. Anyone re-wheeling them for Z gauge track?

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »
I think the Kato Ge4/4III will be longer than its Ge4/4II brother.  In retrospect I could have compared it with its Bemo equivalent yesterday at Worle - fast back 24 hours!

As to the gauge discreperancy I'm not going to get worked up over that issue. I'd rather use Peco track. In fact I'm looking forward to making the scissors crossover with integrated double slip as per Filisur as modelled by Barry Kelsall.

I've been trawling through the  Plaza Japan website and I've come across a lot of spares for an ABe4/4. Anybody got any bright ideas?
Equally does anybody know of a spares holding of traction tyres for the Ge4/4III anywhere in the world?

:thankyousign:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:53:28 pm by Mike Beard »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
October Donations

Advertise Here