!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 17599 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2018, 01:03:39 am »
Interestingly the 10-1414 box has push-outs in the foam to allow for the full eight coaches to be in one box. Good thinking.

This is standard practice for Japanese model railway 'book' sets, and they did the same for the original Glacier Express coach issues.

And you will find also that they provide stickers for you to label the book pack.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2018, 11:27:40 am »
Gordon said:-

And you will find also that they provide stickers for you to label the book pack.

Yes, I have. I've still got to identify every coach by a number and number its "bed space" though. I wish that all my problems were so simple!

I've heard/read whispers that the Ae8/12 railcar might leave something to be desired noise/running wise. Has anybody any experience of them?

Cheers,

Mike Beard.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2018, 01:24:33 pm »
I have two Allegra 3-car sets, one bought with a Starter Set, the other as 10-1318, the Bernina Express 5-car set. One of these I have fitted with Kato's carriage lighting.

They are noisier than say Kato's Ge 4/4 III locos, but nothing untoward as far as I'm concerned.  I have a Minitrix Re 460 that is louder, thanks to its metal gearing.

All in all, they are fine models and I would not be put off by the noise factor. But noise is a personal thing, so if you can, get a shop to test run one for you while you're in the shop so you can see what the Allegra is like.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
Now then,

I've run my Ge4/4 III on Coberg Yard and it handles the Atlas code 55 to NMRA standards just fine. The two Glacier Express coaches do too. The Rapidos look supremely ugly. Although I am fairy deaf I have sufficient hearing to know that it is silent. :claphappy:

What else can I say? Even the current Mrs Beard likes the train; a first in 47 years of married life! :laugh:

Now if Kato made the van and a railcar not to mention freight stock and Tillig made N Gauge track for a while my cup would run over. :)

Happy Times,

Mike Beard.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:24 am »

I've heard/read whispers that the Ae8/12 railcar might leave something to be desired noise/running wise. Has anybody any experience of them?

I have three Allegras and they are all perfectly fine. AFAIR the 'noise' thing was raised early in the existence of these models, and I recall disagreeing with the notion then, and still do.

They make a bit of a whining noise but as far as I am concerned that gives a brilliantly realistic electric train sound, without the hassle and expense of DCC!

European railway expert

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2018, 08:43:28 pm »
I've been looking at current RhB trains at Filisur. It's good to see the 600 series of locos working the Glacier Express. An excuse to buy one as if it were needed. The other thing seems to be that the RhB seem to be replacing the EW1 coaches with new ones in 6 coach fixed sets built to the full loading gauge profile. Five of these coaches seem identical but the leading one seems to be equipped with a dedicated wheelchair area. Is that true? Has anybody here been on one? Does anybody know where I can find drawings or a technical review?

Still scribbling track plans,

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:54 pm »
Does anybody know where I can find drawings or a technical review?

Are you talking about the new ALVRA for the Albula line ?

Infoflyer.pdf

A train Kato will hopefully "jump on"   ;)

steve
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:15:31 pm by retica »

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2018, 10:27:00 pm »
Thank You Steve,

Yes, they are the cars that form the train but it seems that the Control Trailers, in UK parlance, are to follow. Having seen the plans it does seem as though the provision for wheelchair users is excellent even to the extent of redesigning the body shell to lower the window line. Those people designing stock for the UK should take due note.

Whilst I do like them I think I'd tend to put them behind the provision of freight stock but what say have I or we in what Kato provides next? Let's just be happy with what we can get now and hope for the future.

Mike Beard

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2018, 06:18:25 pm »
I've been looking at current RhB trains at Filisur. It's good to see the 600 series of locos working the Glacier Express. The other thing seems to be that the RhB seem to be replacing the EW1 coaches with new ones in 6 coach fixed sets built to the full loading gauge profile. Five of these coaches seem identical but the leading one seems to be equipped with a dedicated wheelchair area.
Mike Beard.

Firstly, the Glacier Express is nearly always hauled by a '600' as all but the Ge6/6 locos are in the 600 series :-)

If you had seen my writings on other forums you would fully appreciate that the EWI are very much threatened (some have already been scrapped or sold including to the Baie de Somme railway not far from the UK!). Since last year the Alvra set have been working half of the Chur - St Moritz express workings.

The Alvra sets (aka Albula Gliederzug AGZ) are permanently coupled 7 coach sets comprising driving trailer plus 6 permanently coupled intermediate coaches (known as 'articulated' but not really in the traditional sense as if split an individual coach would stay standing up and not 'fall over' ). So far the driving trailers have not yet entered full service as their building was badly delayed compared to the intermediate coaches; so the Allegra units have been running round at each end of the journey!

In fact only two of the seven coaches are identical, namely the second class coaches B 57301-57306 and B57401-06. The train formation is loco (or Allegra): end coach: two 2nd class standard coaches: 2nd class family/bike/children/leisure coach: 1st/2nd composite coach: 1st class standard coach : driving trailer

What you called a 'wheelchair' coach is actually much more than that. It has a low floor area, two wheelchair spaces, and the 'photographers' area' . This section of the coach has sideways facing seats and opening windows.

I have travelled in an Alvra set and the normal coaches are similar to the Allegra.

I sampled the 'Photo' area but found it cramped and not terribly comfortable.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:22:26 pm by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2018, 06:55:06 pm »
Thank you for that Gordon, it is much clearer for that explanation. It's obvious that the car designers put their thinking caps on. As to the 600 class, I did of course mean the second series, the first being virtually extinct by my understanding.

It does seem as though we are witnessing a total renewal of the RhB coaching stock.

Do any of the single unit railcars still have a place or are they too a fond memory?

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:47 am »
As to the 600 class, I did of course mean the second series, the first being virtually extinct by my understanding.
Do any of the single unit railcars still have a place or are they too a fond memory?

The problem is that the Ge4/4III are also in the '600 series' so nobody refers to the Ge 4/4I or Ge4/4II as '600 series' . Incidentally the RhB themselves use the 'nickname' BoBo1 for Ge4/4I 601 - 610), BoBo 2 (Ge4/4II 611 - 633 but in two batches), and BoBo 3 = Ge4/4III 641 - 652.

Four Ge4/4 I (602, 603, 605 610) were literally brought back from the scrapheap as RhB realised just in time that they would need some locos to work the new Albula tunnel works trains.

There is a preserved 500 single railcar which I saw on a special in April 2017

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:20:13 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:20 am »
Here is a set at Berguen in April 2017. Allegra leading towards Chur, 'Fotoabteil' coach next to camera (and note also that other stock can still be coupled to the Alvra coaches - some more good 'thinking cap' work!)

At Preda in April 2017 I saw my first driving trailer on test, amazingly it pulled up alongside the 1947-built Ge4/4I 603. A mere 69 year age gap between the two items of non preserved rolling stock!

Then I saw one on test at Samedan in August 2017

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:31:45 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:29 am »

Here is 501 in April 2017.

Wasn’t expecting it so only got a poor distant shot from our holiday let

Saw it close up a few days later being towed by 707 in a freight train

European railway expert

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »
All I can do is add this image of Ge4/4III 644 taken in 2003 while I was on holiday in Switzerland:-

Now that I would like as a colour scheme on the Kato model.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
The coach coupled to 644 was this one:-

Now I've never seen a model of it nor any reference anywhere. Can anybody help?

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here