!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 100696 times)

Online swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #915 on: January 04, 2018, 10:08:22 am »
Hi John, yes the detailing is great, though apropos another thread here recently, I doubt I'll be fitting the myriad collection of teeny weeny detail parts included in each wagon box. Hoses, handles, etc, and with no schematic to show where they fit. Even with a magnifier my jittery hands will fail me, and anyway, they'll all fall off in time, especially when I re-box them.

Yes Mike. It's quite some time since I got mine so I had forgotten about the extra detailing items.
When they don't hinder operation I normally do fit them but in this case I obviously thought the same as you. There is plenty of detail on the vans without adding more.

Having some running problems, with one wagon squeaking from one of its axle boxes, and despite microdot of oil it's a little less than freewheeling even though there is free play. I figure it will run in.

In similar situations I find that a little dab of dry graphite in the axle box seems to do the trick. I bought a tube of the Woodland Scenics Hob-e-lube dry graphite some time ago and it has cured many a squeak. It has also very much improved the running qualities of some of my early Hobbytrain coaches which were very stiff.

Spreading Christmas trees aside, the SBB Muldenkippen derailed once or twice which seems to be due to a stiff rear bogie pivot. Running it in reverse shows no problems. I think it sticks on a bend so when the track straightens the coupling jams a little, thus a derail. Still checking it out.
Looking at mine I see that the bogie is attached with a push-fit plastic peg. Have you tried easing it out a little with a finger nail to give a bit more movement?
It's a pity that the wagons don't tilt like the real thing but I think they are still nice models especially now the price is a lot more sensible.
To further improve their looks (IMO) I made some removable rubble loads for my BLS wagons and ballast loads for the SBB ones.
John

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #916 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions John.  I'd forgotten about using graphite powder for the axle.(I forget when I forgot  ??? ) Oil clogs with dust easily, so I'll get the axle cleaned and use some graphite.

On the tipper, I'd noted the bogie mounting and thought it was push fitted over a pin mounted on the chassis, but of course a push in peg it is. I'll see if I can ease it out a tad - though I might have to wait a week or so til my nerve-chewed nails grow a bit! :D

I agree the wagons need loads. I'm thinking of simulated scrap metal in one, and maybe rubble in the other. (I already have ballast loads planned for some Liliput ballast wagons).

As you mention, the price is much more reasonable now, with MSL putting them out at 29.99, though the red Holcim version is still high priced. If I can swing it past the Chief Financial Officer  ;) I may end up with a short rake of them, though there are way too many new releases of both SBB and RhB items pending that might have to take precedence.

Now, where's that Lottery win when I need it? :hmmm:

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #917 on: January 04, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »
As you mention, the price is much more reasonable now, with MSL putting them out at 29.99, though the red Holcim version is still high priced. If I can swing it past the Chief Financial Officer  ;) I may end up with a short rake of them, though there are way too many new releases of both SBB and RhB items pending that might have to take precedence.

Now, where's that Lottery win when I need it? :hmmm:

:beers:

I have just been looking back through my records and when I bought the BLS set of 4 in December 2014 they were the equivalent of 123 from Menzels.
When they started selling them individually, as you say, they were 66 Euros or roughly twice the price!! I know that you often get a discount for buying more than one but that difference is ridiculous. :confused2:
I didn't buy the SBB wagons as a set and there was no way that I was going to pay 66 Euros so needless to say mine have been purchased at the much reduced current price. :)
John

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2018, 01:00:10 am »

On the tipper, I'd noted the bogie mounting and thought it was push fitted over a pin mounted on the chassis, but of course a push in peg it is. I'll see if I can ease it out a tad -

I eased mine out with a small amount of pressure no problem.

I bought one of the Blue RTS ones early in the piece as I had wanted one of the type for years, but I really wanted the grey SBB version, as a classic sight on Swiss lines.

I too have now got a rake of 4 due to the lowered price. I should never have bought the blue one really as it is out of place and was very poor VFM.

Worth remembering that the SBB grey ones can be used in small numbers (including as one segment of a general wagonload freight) so you don't need a huge rake.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #919 on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:41 am »
That's good to know Gordon, thanks.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #920 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:30 pm »
Just got back from a cracking Christmas holiday spent in the Rheintal - based at Koblenz.

For Christmas, my good lady wife managed to track down a set of coaches that, along with the OBB 4010/6010 Transalpin set, has long been on my wish-list.  Now, thanks to Arnold, I have the first 3 in a future rake of OBB Schlieren coaches!!!! And little beauties they are too!!!!  :heart2: :heart2:

Whilst in Koblenz, we came across a cracking model railway shop.  Had to restrain myself from buying rolling stock but succumbed to temptation by a few magazines...........

And on arrival back home this morning, this little loco was waiting on the door mat.....

Now to hunt down some more Schlierens......... I think a few more green and a rake of 6 Jaffa should just about do it!!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carl - one happy modeller  :bounce:

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here