Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Because its easier to hide my latest acquisitions from the Domestic Overlord

COME ON ADMIT IT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE>>>>>> :angel:

PGN

I don't need to hide my latest acquisitions. I've got so many unbuilt kits sitting around, that if she sees me starting a new one, she's no way of knowing if it's a "new new" one or an "old new" one  :laugh:

I finally persuaded my father to buy me my first model railway in 1979, when I was 12. He had taken an interest in the new micro scales - N and Z - and had a small collection of catalogues. The Marklin Z scale catalogue didn't interest me at all (they only made funny foreign locomotives); but the Graham Farish "Romance of Steam in Miniature" catalogue had me captivated. My father, in his methodical, analytical way, had also been though the Peco catalogue, counted the number of wagon varieties for each of the "Big 4", and made a marginal annotation "LMS has most choice". This was true - but irrelevant, as wagons ran across different systems, of course. But at the age of 12, I didn't appreciate this.

So LMS it was. I started with the black Farish "General Purpose" tank No. 7313; I later added a black 4P number 1118 and a black Lima 4F no. 4547. I longed for a "Black 5" and a Peco Jubilee; but I could never afford them back then.

And I've been a confirmed N gauger ever since.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Kaian

I have never had a model railway or trainset unless you count the wooden trains and track when I was 2.

Since leaving uni I got into it as I always wanted a model railway and started picking up 00 items as the model shops near me only stocked 00. After a year or so I moved into my first house and had no space and came across n gauge which would allow me to make something in the no space.

Alas real world got in the way and working for a small company I worked 3 in 4 weekends as well as during the week for years and left no time.

I continued to collect some trains I liked and have moved to a larger house and have a joint hobby room with my wife that the kids are not allowed in. This means I can have a decent sized layout in n which I have been planning.

I have my first layout pinned down as a learning concept to make the mistakes on and make real informed operating decisions (play trains).

Made a start at least and has only taken 8 years for a small roundly layout!
Craig

Marcus Amison

Quote from: Kaian on November 22, 2015, 07:46:51 AM
I have never had a model railway or trainset unless you count the wooden trains and track when I was 2.

Since leaving uni I got into it as I always wanted a model railway and started picking up 00 items as the model shops near me only stocked 00. After a year or so I moved into my first house and had no space and came across n gauge which would allow me to make something in the no space.

Alas real world got in the way and working for a small company I worked 3 in 4 weekends as well as during the week for years and left no time.

I continued to collect some trains I liked and have moved to a larger house and have a joint hobby room with my wife that the kids are not allowed in. This means I can have a decent sized layout in n which I have been planning.

I have my first layout pinned down as a learning concept to make the mistakes on and make real informed operating decisions (play trains).

Made a start at least and has only taken 8 years for a small roundly layout!
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Like you I'm also a Nawbie. My layouts coming along nicely thanks in part to all the great advice from other members, and I'm very thankful for that. It'll be interesting to see how your layout develops and hopefully you will post your progress on the forum. :)

PGN

Quote from: Kaian on November 22, 2015, 07:46:51 AM

I think you'll find, if you're anything like me, that there are an AWFUL LOT of tem thar operating decisions to be made ... and that you'll need to collect a VAST AMOUNT of information about them before drawing any definite conclusions one way or another  :bounce:
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Firefox

Space and cost.

But ultimately, portability.

I want to take my layout easily (on one board)  to different places, family, friends etc.

I can have a good layout on 1200x750. I'd be very limited in OO as to what I could do in that area.

Derwentbob

I was a confirmed OO fan in my youth but when the shed fell down I took up wargaming instead. Fast forward to a few years ago and I was playing A Very British Civil War in 10mm scale (near as dammit n gauge). A trip to the model shop for some Metcalfe buildings to adorn the wargame table went badly wrong when I found I had bought  a Farish City of Leicester, an oval of track and a gaugemaster controller by accident. I had to go back for the buildings and stone me if I didn't get it wrong again...

JasonBz

Quote from: Lovstrom on June 26, 2015, 03:21:51 PM
For me N gauge is all about being able to drive the trains through the landscape.
My other love in model railway is O gauge but there is only limited room for the landscape around it.

Sven

Thank you for reminding me why exactly I like N gauge - Though in my case there is no O gauge to tempt me (yet! come on Dapol with that 08!!) I get some 4mm scale itches very often, that just have to be scratched :)

nightfly

Hi! I'm new here; I live in the U.S.A., 59 y/o. I started N scale when I was about 10, we had O gauge Lionel trains which we set up every Christmas, but had to take down by New Years Day. So the rest of the year, no trains for me! But while looking at slot cars, I notice an Aurora 'postage stamp' railroad set; it had a Minitrix Santa Fe warbonned F3 (I think) and a few cars. I set it up on top of my dresser and had my trains every day of the year after that. Alas, I got a little older and girls replaced my interest in trains for a few decades. In 2005, I got the bug again when a friend took me to a model railroad show. And I was hooked again. Since then, I've spent way too much on trains (this is a disease!). But it's going to fill my retirement time well. Right now, I'm housebound for a while as my leg heals. So I found this forum in a search. Interesting reading! and will be happy to write back and forth with everyone here!  :)
The Shinkansen Nozomi 500 series; perhaps the most beautiful train in the world. (see avatar pic).

jrb

Picard told me to.

[smg id=33181 type=full align=none caption=]

:bounce:

Komata

jrb

And should he say 'Dis' N gauge, would you???

(one has to ask these questions... :)  )
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

stlbud

I found an Arnold-Rapido N Guage set at the local department store (US) when I was 10 years old. The price fit my budget at the time. I was intrigued by the size. I've been with it ever since (50 years) :D T-Trak has captured my imagination and is my now my first interest.

Benchy

Space, yet funnily enough I find n gauge models more detailed then their 00 counterparts. Hornby seems to be made all out of plastic!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations