!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Something Stanier  (Read 30098 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Something Stanier
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:42 pm »
Upgrading older models is something relatively few seem to contemplate, instead demanding manufacturers retool. Pragmatically, though, so older models actually are still pretty respectable with a bit of upgrading.

Hear, hear! I think @belstone described it as "Much more fun than waving your credit card around in a shop". You also create something unique you're proud to own.

Mike

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »
In response to the comments about cost of some of the projects, there are times when an extra bit of work can save pounds, this Adams A12 "Jubilee" (nicknamed after Queen Victoria's Jubilee) only cost me for the driving wheels (ABS/Beaver) and the Union Mills tender drive, and some brass tube and sheet, chassis block cut from a scrap loco, pony truck similar.

Then some paint and decals

Similar story for this Drummond K10

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:38:26 pm by Dorsetmike, Reason: additions »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:55 pm »
That's rather dinky Mike - I do like the way you've managed to keep the very small nature of the prototype tender while still having it driven.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
The A12 tender body was from a Worsley Works "kit" for  a Drummond loco, forget which now, either a Caley Jumbo or LSWR 700, the K10 was cut down from a Langley S15 Kit, which,  being white metal the bit extra weight gives it a bit better pulling power than the A12. A full load of coal helps too!

For boiler barrels I use brass tube, turn it in a lathe removing a little metal from between smoke box and boiler bands which are left unturned. For the firebox I cut a "T" shaped slot and open out the sides, if it were a Belpaire box thren it would need building up.

Cabs can be a pig to solder unless you have a variable temperature iron and a number of different melting point solders, make a join wit h highest MP solder, say cab side to firebox back plate, turn iron temp down, take next lower MP solder make next joint, say other side to back plate, reduce iron temp, next lower MP, add roof, reduce temp and MP  for footplate.

This level of scratch building should only need resorting to for locos that can't be hacked from existing RTR or kits. For example this is the Langley Urie S15 as intended with Fleischmann chassis and tender drive

That is only correct for 7 of the class between 1934 and about mid 50's, Maunsell built more of the class with a few changes, that look like this

The cab roof to the composite loading gauge can either be filed or replaced with sheet metal, the tender body is from the BHE N15 kit, with either a Minitrix 2077 tender drive or a Union Mills with extra wheels. Bogie side frames from Worsley Works, N brass or BHE axle boxes. I now find that a Farish B1 loco chassis will fit and is a bit cheaper and easier to find than the Fleischmann, alternatively a chassis with 6' drivers with a few minor body tweaks will make an H15.

The Langley S15 kit tender and Fleischmann drive find themselves behind the T9 that supplied the UM tender drive, said T9 having had cab and splashers narrowed

(Apologies for partial thread hijack)
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
It's been a while since the last post, but there's always stuff on the go, and particular I find the Xmas period a good time to clear off and finish some projects that are long overdue.

This one in particular - an elderly Beaver J52, which I obtained in a crummily built form probably close on a decade ago. On stripping and cleaning it became clear that the castings were past their best, in particular the front bufferbeam and footplate literally crumbled. This rather put back what was originally going to be a simple rebuild. The whole front end had to be rebuilt in stratchmade brass. The front and rear spectacle plates also had to be replaced. This was the state of it for about the last 2 years:

It's been long overdue to get finished, so some determination was aquired and over about a month or so the remaining detail fitted or scratchbuilt to get it complete:

Finally, paint completed probably the longest build I've had:

Just needs coaled now to hide the solder points on the rear spectacle plate bars. But it's finally off the bench!

Others moving forward include a standard 4, acquired in a bag of bits and noted to have very nicely attached separate handrails, making it worth working into a good model, even though it's missing pretty much everthing else. Someone spent quite a bit of time doing that, so it'll be nice to finish it up.

A project bumbling along also has been this GEM Fowler 4P tank - originally was going to be finished fairly as standard, with Farish B5 chassis, but I realised there's better possibility with the 3MT chassis, so some extensive shoehorning was done to get it in. Still needs work to sit it down properly, fit the DCC gibbins (or remove it) and fit a rear bogie. Most of the loco body is fairly far advanced in detail though.

A new aquisition is one of Atso's D49s, which currently is being sized up on the appropriate chassis. This should be a reasonably simple job, once printing is cleaned up. Tender will need more work - anyone with a spare/scrap Dapol B1 let me know - I need tenders!

Finally is a southern N15, nearly done apart from names and numbers and soon to head to a new owner.

Others on the bench too, but early days to show them  ;)

Cheers,
Alan

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »
Alan,

can you give a little detail on the make up of the N15 such as name of Chassis, body kit etc as it is absolutely stunning (I want one!!) I can see me attempting one in the future

Thanks,

alex

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:23 pm »
can you give a little detail on the make up of the N15 such as name of Chassis, body kit etc as it is absolutely stunning (I want one!!) I can see me attempting one in the future

BH Enterprises whitemetal kit, on Farish black 5 chassis, NGS front bogie wheels, painted in Phoenix Precision BR green, humbrol 85 and 64, and lined with Fox transfers.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
The J52 looks stunning in black!

Like the N15 too - the bogie tender looks huge.

Lovely work.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2018, 09:08:41 pm »
To quote dear old Leslie Neilsen "Nice Beaver", right down to blackening the gubbins.
I, too, like the N15 :drool:

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2018, 09:47:03 pm »
I've 5 or 6 N15's built from this kit with both cab and tender types. It was a while ago but if my ageing memory is working I think I used Duchess chassis instead of Black 5 ones for a more accurate wheel size.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:35 am »

A new aquisition is one of Atso's D49s, which currently is being sized up on the appropriate chassis. This should be a reasonably simple job, once printing is cleaned up. Tender will need more work - anyone with a spare/scrap Dapol B1 let me know - I need tenders!

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan, some lovely work, I need to follow your lead and find some determination to complete some projects!

I have long wanted to try and develop a D49 project, purely to try and have a running model of 246 Morayshire, as preserved by the SRPS at Bo'Ness - I was intrigued by the post above, it looks a really crisp print - what chassis have you used on it?

@Atso - is there a D49 "shire" in the pipeline?  I had a look on your website last night and couldn't see one.

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2018, 10:59:59 am »
I've 5 or 6 N15's built from this kit with both cab and tender types. It was a while ago but if my ageing memory is working I think I used Duchess chassis instead of Black 5 ones for a more accurate wheel size.

Undoubtedly true - though for pragmatism this was done stock, as I have a stack of B5 chassis to use up!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:36 am »
I have long wanted to try and develop a D49 project, purely to try and have a running model of 246 Morayshire, as preserved by the SRPS at Bo'Ness - I was intrigued by the post above, it looks a really crisp print - what chassis have you used on it?

This is Dapol Schools loco, and Dapol B1 tender chassis. I need more B1s as this one's rough, but will do for starting.

@Atso - is there a D49 "shire" in the pipeline?  I had a look on your website last night and couldn't see one.

This isn't a new project - has been on Steve's own thread for a while - there's a good few pages to click through:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35409.0

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - N15, D49
« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »
Progress has been made on N15, and D49.

N15 is virtually done - she is just waiting for her coal to set in the tender.

The D49 has had detailing done and a further pass of smoothing and primer. The top lamp iron needs some tidying up, and a final clean and primer coat.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything