!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated  (Read 20761 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:16 am »
Very nice work - looks crisply modelled and I love the flowing track.

How do you find access to the fiddle yard?

Cheers  Jon  :)
We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 08:46:21 am »
Thanks Jon

The fiddle yard will be on the right side of my train room. Far away at the moment, but I'm heading in its direction.

Ian

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 08:55:43 am »
Thanks Jon

The fiddle yard will be on the right side of my train room. Far away at the moment, but I'm heading in its direction.

Ian

Hi Ian; can't I see it in one of the photos?

My concern is that it might be difficult to access it behind the backscene - have you thought of this?

Cheers  Jon  :)
We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:03 am »
Hi Jon

Yes, I'm acutely aware of the problems of reach. My fiddle yard tracks are already laid (see my first post) and I can reach all of its tracks. The back drop between my industrial area and the fiddle yard will only be about 15 cm high and will be able to be lifted out. I can reach all of the fiddle yard from either the interior space in the layout or from its ends. My main line runs down the wall and it is a bit of a stretch to reach, but quite doable. In this section, I expect (hope?) that since the track is straight and level it should not be prone to derailments.

The alternative to making a more accessible fiddle yard while retaining a space for my planned industrial activities is to reduce the minimum radius of my main line. I like long trains and in my experience long trains + tight curves = trouble to put things into mathematical terms.

I do appreciate your thoughts on this.
Ian

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:29 am »
I do like the vid :thumbsup:
The scenery when the train emerges from the tunnel onto the truss girder bridge reminded me of the film 'Von Ryan's Express'

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 10:13:31 am »

Very nice layout ! :NGaugersRule:

Your carpenter's work is very neat and the volumes you have designed are wonderfull. Love it ! :heart2:

Your bridges are nicely intergrted too, and it is very difficult to do that.

Thank's for sharing !  :claphappy:
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline N Gauge Bob

• N Gauge Society Number: 12922
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »
Neither my era nor interest, but I must say this is an excellent looking piece of work. The Pictures are clear and the text very well presented. The track plan and scenery have obviously taken much time to plan and build with accuracy and authenticity in mind.
I take my hat off to you, and look forward to future episodes.
 :superblayout:
Cheers
N Gauge Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »
Time we had another update, Ian? @Webbo
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 07:58:53 am »
Here it is Malc.

My reluctance to post a progress report before now is due to my having taken a big step backwards since last time and my spending a lot of time recovering the situation. The big step backwards was the decision to install strip lighting to the underside of my upper level track circuits. This entailed first removing the support brackets and replacing them with less intrusive brackets. Next, the blue wall paper had to be replaced, and then finally I added the strip lighting. The strip lighting is simply a string of LEDs glued on to the inside of a piece of channel  (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160842566915). The addition of the lighting really lightens up the back of the layout and replacing the brackets from the upper circuits means that they don't intrude into the diorama of my main layout to nearly the same degree as before. Perhaps, this could be construed as progress.

Here is a picture taken recently with the improved lighting and changed brackets. I have removed most of trees in the interests of damage limitation during reconstruction. Some of the trees will be replanted, but with an altered configuration I expect. One of the next steps is to plant the trees and then fill the lake with Woodlands Scenics Realistic Water. The bridge pylons are now fixed in place, but the bridge components can be lifted in or out. The rock looks a bit washed out in the photo. Doesnt look quite this way in reality, but I think I will be adding some highlighting washes just the same.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The girder sections of the bridge are Micro Engineering, the two truss sections are Central Valley Models, and the track is Micro Engineering bridge track. Ive had a lucky escape with this one as my Kato double stack container cars fit through the truss sections with not more than 2 mm clearance. Here is a video of a short train crossing the bridge with the double stacks.

http://youtu.be/DlBpMe7g2CI

In terms of scenery construction, I have now laid and carved the foam base for my scenery along the top part of the layout as far as where my refinery is going to go. This base will be covered with a thin layer of Sculptamold and Im planning to fasion a few rocky outcrops here with Sculptamold. Here is a photo that shows the new section. The foil on the wall keeps my wall paper from getting wet during application of the Sculptamold. Just beyond where the passing track joins the main line there will be a road crossing that will be controlled by flashing lights that I managed to get working yesterday. To the right of the upper level track will be a farm growing corn or what is referred to in the UK as maize, but the rest of the scenery in the view shown will be open countryside.

Ive had a fair bit of trouble selecting the tree types for my layout. The trees that are most common in the region that Im loosely modelling are Ponderosa Pines and Douglas Firs. Ive tried all kinds of trees including trees from China. I started with Busch pine trees, but these looked too much like bottle cleaners for me. I bought a whole lot of Woodland Scenics pines next. They sort of resemble Ponderosa Pines (middle tree in following photo), but I would have preferred them to be less dark. The tree on the left is a JTT spruce. Looks OK at a distance but is also too dark. The tree on the right is a Grand Central Gems pine tree that has been dipped in dye to darken it up a bit. This tree type will be my Douglas Fir.

Here is a train ride through my scenery taken a couple of weeks ago using my latest camera system.

http://youtu.be/_rjGUcVmsD8

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:19:22 am by Webbo »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:34 am »
Thanks for the update and the vids, Webbo. The layout is really coming to life :thumbsup:
I see what you mean about the double stackers, though. Just a little tight clearance-wise! :sweat:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:35 am »
Thanks for the update and the vids, Webbo. The layout is really coming to life :thumbsup:
I see what you mean about the double stackers, though. Just a little tight clearance-wise! :sweat:

I bought some Farish 40' containers and tried them out on my container cars. When double stacked the top container went crunch when it arrived at the bridge. The extra height with 1:148 scale versus 1:160 scale was too much. You really wouldn't notice the difference in size, but I'm going to have to run my Farish containers as singles from now on.

Webbo

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 08:49:51 pm »
Very nice :thumbsup:  I like the snow scene after the last bridge :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 09:00:47 am »
Some Canadian layouts do represent snow scenes and one can buy pine trees with snow on them. I'll be moving my snow scenes into late summer when the grass has all dried out and before the snow has not yet started to fall.

Since my last update, I've bitten the bullet and filled my lake with Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. Five ants managed to trap themselves in it while the stuff was setting over night. I should have waited until the water had set before trying to remove them, but instead managed to create a bigger hole and then even bigger disruptions to the surface in my efforts to repair the holes. Traps for young players. Removing my lake and restarting is not an option that I relish, I may cover all this up with another thin layer of realistic water. If I do, I'll be sure to fill my train room with insect poison beforehand.

When looking up the web on how to repair imperfections in Realistic Water I came across quite a few horror stories of adverse reactions between Realistic Water and various scenic materials including non-acrylic paint, PVA, and foam materials. These reactions can cause cloudiness which could spoil the intended effect big time. In my lake, I have two places where I've screwed the base plywood to the underlying frame. I filled the depressions with Tamiya plastic filler and this seems to have caused some local discoloration to the Realistic Water although it may more to do with the difference between how the acrylic paint sticks to wood and to the filler.  Shouldn't be a problem as I have a couple of canoes that I can use to hide the imperfections. Woodland Scenics recommends using their products for painting and sealing the surface before pouring RS, BUT they don't tell you that very bad things can happen if certain other materials are used. Another trap for young players.

Here is a shot of my lake with a few more trees added to the background hillside. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out. With time, I know my eye will not be drawn to its imperfections.

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 10:35:34 am »
That looks pretty damned good to me, Webbo, especially the reflective properties which will make for some great photography :thumbsup:

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »
This layout just gets better and better  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP