!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: European N gauge goofs  (Read 2677 times)

Online Hiawatha

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: European N gauge goofs
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 10:11:50 am »
BTW, it bears a lot of resemblance to another Fleischmann Starter set loco, of the 'Edelweiss Privatbahn'. Again, this is one I am unsure about its origin and authenticity. Ref is 737104, and these pics show the similarity. Seems the latest is a modification of the earlier issue to me, with different coaches etc, but perhaps you may be able to provide clarity:

737104 -

I note that some sellers show the operating company merely as 'Verschiedene', or various.

While the red version is indeed pure fantasy with nothing to be found in Switzerland that's remotely resembling the model, for the blue Edelweiss Lokalbahn one Fleischmann had a concrete prototype in mind: the Bavarian Zugspitzbahn.

Gerd Hahn from http://www.bahnbilder.de/name/galerie/kategorie/Erste/hierarchie1/Deutschland/hierarchie2/Zahnradbahnen/digitalfotografie/288.html

However, being 1000-mm narrow-gauge, the Zugspitzbahn locomotives were much smaller (6.9 m long vs 8.7 m for the E69 05). Although it looks that way in the photo, they weren't cog locomotives and were only used for the valley portion. The real cog locomotives were boxcabs and inspired the older Fleischmann ELB track-cleaning/cog locomotives 7969/7305.

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: European N gauge goofs
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 10:30:53 am »
Thanks for that detail Hiawatha. :thumbsup:

With so many real Swiss locos that could be modelled, it is somewhat irritating, for whatever economic reasons they may have, that a manufacturer produces these fictions. If they were of the ilk of 'Thomas the Tank engine' origin it would be understandable, and perhaps buyable as a bit of fun, but they are not, and I won't.

Not that my ranting will change things one iota! :D

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations