!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 11615 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
James St-exhibition layout
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:54 pm »
About 15 years ago, 'Lynford Junction' was on the Exhibition circuit, and seemed generally well received, and appeared in 'Railway Modeller' and the N-Gauge Society 'Journal'. This layout was sold by its builder, Steve Wright, and he is now starting to exhibit its replacement, 'James St'. This was at Southend three weeks ago, and here is a link to some photos taken there, or at a practice session the week before;

http://suffolkandnorthessexareagroup.onesuffolk.net/imagegallery/james-street/?stage=Live

Note that there are three Galleries of photos. The layout can be viewed from all four sides, and is intended to be exhibited 'free standing' (ie an island on its own). At present, one side is not fully finished scenically, but Steve hopes to have this finished in about six months. The layout was not fully stocked up at the time of the photos.

The layout is in three levels; a lower terminus, goods yards, dock/harbour, and engine shed; a middle two track main line; and an upper level with four tracks and station area. There is also a small branch and second engine shed; the idea is to run from the terminus via the middle level to the top and then back again. Most locos are fitted with B+B couplings, and  it is hoped, with practise and some adjustments, we will be able to do shunting and loco changes 'hands off'. Reversing loops enable trains to be turned and run in both directions on all levels, and hence terminus to terminus with the same loco (or with another if we wish to).

Steve is now open to Exhibition enquiries to display the layout; I don't think Steve is a member of this forum (he's too busy on the layout!), so please pass any enquiries to me, for the time being. Due to the size of the layout, and the time taken to set up/dismantle, it is likely that he will prefer two (or more) day exhibitions.
Update 30/11/16-note that the website quoted no longer exists, and the new on is;
http://sanengauge.wixsite.com/classic-layout

Martyn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:57:29 pm by martyn, Reason: Updated info »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »
Looks quite spectacular, Martyn :thumbsup:
I guess it would help any potential show organisers to know the footprint of the layout, where Steve is based and how far he'd be prepared to travel.
If the layout is viewable on all 4 sides, where is it operated from please?

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:31 pm »
Blimey it's humungous  :D

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:43:11 pm »
I will get the dimensions from Steve, but it is about 14' x 10'-but I could be wrong. He lives in South Essex (near Chelmsford), and we exhibited 'Lynford' at a number of shows including, amongst others, Warley, Bristol, Wakefield, Derby and York, so we would travel at least that far. I think Steve would consider any offer on its merits.
The whole layout fits on trolleys which all then fit into one trailer.
We can operate with all the operators (except the harbour) in the central well, but it does get a bit 'friendly'; at Southend, the top 4-track mainline operators, and the one for the harbour, sat outside the layout. This also enabled the operators to chat with visitors. At Southend, we also were viewed three sided, with the incomplete fourth side at the back, but when it is finished, then it is intended that it will be viewable from all four sides.
Steve's stock is generally LMS/London Midland region but the layout is about operating and running, not rivet counting. There is likely to be some BR ER stock when I assist in operating. There will also be a tram circuit around the roads.
Martyn
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:36:15 pm by martyn, Reason: Additional information »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:49:16 pm »
Looks huge and very impressive.
That will take some setting up at an exhibition !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:12 pm »
Looks quite spectacular, Martyn :thumbsup:

Second that - I love these kind of layouts.

Any chance of a trackplan?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:06:35 am »
I got the basic dimensions slightly wrong-Steve has told me that the baseboard size is actually 20' x 11', and the 'footprint' for exhibition purposes needs to be about 23' x 13' to allow for two sets of operators to sit outside the layout. We can operate most of the layout from inside the central well, but it does make it a bit friendly! By having some operators outside, it also enables them to talk to the visitors and answer at least some of the questions raised! Remember, this is designed to be viewed from all four sides.

Dr Al;
 I will try and get a track plan from Steve, but there is probably still some evolution to come before the 'final' version; Steve has already altered the entrance to part of the lower goods yard to make for more prototypical running and ease the entrance, and also added more magnets to enable even more remote uncoupling. You can just about make out the lower level trackplan by 'stitching' the photos already posted, but we haven't yet posted photos of the unfinished (scenically) upper level and fiddle yard. The upper level track is 95% complete, just some to do in the upper small terminus and loco yard. 'Lynford Junction' was written up for 'Modeller' and 'Journal' by Dave Cooper; I expect that he, me, or both, will be doing the same for 'James St', even though Dave now lives in France!
For now, any additional pictures and information will probably be added via the SANE group website (weblink as before).

Operator numbers have yet to be settled, but possibly six are need to exploit the full potential of the layout.

I believe that the Layout is already booked for Warley in the future (2017?).

Martyn

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:31:53 am »
Shame it's Warley, Martyn, as that is a total scrum. Far better to do The International N Gauge Show (which is also a scrum but at least it's all N gauge) :D

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »
Hi Nobby;
I'm sure that Steve would listen to an invite to TINGS, though I appreciate that it may not be a good idea to do both. I assume the invite to Warley has come because of the fact that Steve/we 'did' Warley with Lynford, and I think it won best layout, or something; it is too long ago to remember! Lynford was sold long before TINGS existed, and so Warley was the only time it was exhibited in the West Midlands area.
In that respect, it's a pity that the two shows are geographically so close, but perhaps different years may be the answer.
The fact that it will be four sided means that four times as many people can see it at the same time  :) !
Martyn

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
WOW  :heart2: :o :heart2:

What a beauty. Nice to see four track's again..so bored of tiny terminus's.

I remember Lynford Junction well. A great layout and still have the modeller edition somewhere.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Cudders.
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 12:09:11 pm »
Had a phone chat with Steve about progress on the scenery, and he has now almost completed covering the carcasses of all the walls and bridges with brick paper. The top branch line has had attention, and will now feature a passing loop. Work has also been done on completing the canal; and a new station has been added where there is a triangular junction on the middle level.

One of the operation team, Dave, is writing an article about the description of the layout, and how it operates. It is hoped that this will eventually appear in the 'Journal', and possibly 'Modeller' or another magazine. Unfortunately, his track plan was lost when his hard drive crashed; but he will be drawing a new one.

The layout has been booked for ROMFORD show on 12/11/16 (note the year!).

Our next running session will not be until the New Year, as Steve needs access to the centre section boards to do the scenery, and this is only possible when the layout is partially dismantled. Hopefully, when we do run again, we will get some more photos to show what has been done. Bear in mind that because of the sheer size of the layout, 'detailing' could go on as long as Steve wishes to do it....
He is also hoping to get more exhibition invites-any offers?
Martyn

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 12:17:18 pm »
That is a impressive layout I hope to get to one of the shows it will be at so I can see it in the flesh. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:52:36 am »
Here is the rough draft of the track plan, drawn by hand and awaiting copying onto PC. Having started life as a draughtsman old habits die hard.....

I've also attached the flyer wording in case anyone is interested in inviting James Street to their exhibition. It is a large layout so would be best suited to a 2 day show rather than a one day. Given the size of the layout it can be erected in about an hour and a half, although stocking it takes a little longer ,but still fairly rapid using cassettes developed for the purpose. It is booked for Warley 2017 and has been offered for the N Gauge Society 50th, although little has been heard about the latter so far.

Dave Cooper

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »
@Southerngooner

I can open the 'flyer' pdf but there's no sign of a drawing :confused2:

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:37 pm »
Hi Dave;
You beat me to it! I was going to post about Warley later today!
The layout will next be exhibited at Romford on 12 November this year.
Unfortunately, the website that we used to display photos of James St and Saneham Tey no longer exists-we hope to build a new one in the future.
Martyn
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:54:53 pm by martyn, Reason: additinal info »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything