!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Unitrack System  (Read 27449 times)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Kato Unitrack System
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »
I have just seen ( and lost) recent pics on NGF of cork ballast strip turned upside down and laid between Ukitrack to "level" up the ballast - looks like a very easy technique.

Will go looking!

happy New Year
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »
One person's opinion after Christmas Day first time set up.
Ease of "construction";
Well it really is plug and play,all set up and working,M2 Oval with passing loop,loco and coaches ran from crawl to top speed forwards and backwards first time on a bare genuine parquet floor over 100 yrs old and not glass smooth.No hesitations,stuttering stalls or anything ran faultlessly.Marks out of 10,has to be 10.

Cost;
Less than 100 for all that the set contains and requires.has to be 10 out of 10 again.

Realism,Appearance ;
Seemed perfectly ok to me but purists and even the lesser souls will no doubt find it unacceptable,....well one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.There are a number of very simple "how to" improve the appearance of the shoulder of the ballasting  and the ballasting itself very simply and indeed to a very good standard for very little effort and/or skill.
Marks out of 10,very subjective so everyone will have to make up their own minds but the first two by far outweigh even the most negative views of its appearance in my view
My Opinion; A first class product in all ways,one of the best buys I have ever made.     :thankyousign: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
Thanks to all who highly recommended it in the first place.
Rheingold

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 02:05:17 pm »
,all set up and working,M2 Oval with passing loop,
Hi, thanks for your interesting review.

May I ask :
What type of power supply (aka wallwart ) is being supplied now ?
Is it marked AC or DC I wonder ?

Reason I ask is that there was a thread here a while back ( which I cant find at the moment !) with some doubts then about some interim powersupplies being included with the controller.
I dont know what the eventual outcome was.
The other reason I ask is that I am contemplating this set as well, the more so having read of your good results ! :)

Thanks.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
I have just seen ( and lost) recent pics on NGF of cork ballast strip turned upside down and laid between Ukitrack to "level" up the ballast - looks like a very easy technique.

Will go looking!

happy New Year

Here you go :)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1724.msg270116#msg270116

The chamfered cork was sourced via me and I got it from........
http://www.charlescantrill.com/

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »
Hi Malcolm,
I don't know but I will get my son to get the box out when he comes in and I will have a look(I cannot for health reasons).
It comes with a 3 point transformer plug for english use and one feed line which goes into the back of the controller.
I had no problems at all with control of the loco nor did I have anything but absolute and immediate positive response to the points,via the point switch(es) even when the loco was running at full speed hauling 6 Orient Express coaches(one lit),nor at any time was there any flicker etc at all from the loco lights nor the table lamps in the restaurant car of the Orient Express Diner coach.
Everything ran faultlessly from start to finish(2 hrs or so later).
I will get back to you when son "turns up",to see if I can help further.
Les

Rheingold

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
Thanks Les, no prob., I'm still 'in the melting pot' stages :)

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »
Hi Mal,
Don't know where son is except he's gone to his mate's so he's probably in the getting :censored: pot right now.
But I will get back to you as soon as I see him in any half decent state to be abyle to lift anything other than an elbow with a drink attached to the other end.
I know nothing about electricity by the way so when I can get to it/the adapter and controller and the instruction manual I will post you to let you know and it will probably be best if you ask me specific easy questions which I will do my best to answer.
Subject to any specific concerns you may have all I can say is,"Come on in,the water's fine !".
I very highly recommend this Kato set up and it appears lots of others do if it's reliability,simplicity and plug and play is what you want.
Also I would highly commend the simple "how to " tutorials on You Tube to see how the appearance can be dramatically improved very easily.
Les    :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:59:31 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Thinly disguised swearing replaced »
Rheingold

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
Hi Les,
That's ok, no worries, no rush,  we must not disturb them when out with their mates :) :) !

I do actually know the Kato track a little,
there is a bit of a story, I'll try to keep it brief in order not to mess up your thread :)
Some time ago there was a KATO UK special set based on the M1 oval plus a British steam loco and three carriages,
It was a delightfull wee thing and ran well - - for about a week !
The loco came to an abrupt halt with all the signs of a short circuited motor :(
It had to be returned for a refund there being no replacement as it was end of line.

So, some time went by, a summer came and went, other things were done , ,
and now here I am again re-wondering about re-starting in N :) !
I did not have the track long enough to experiment with improving the appearance, those vids sound interesting I'll have to look them up,
the idea of messing about with fine grained ballast near delicate loco and point mechanisms fills me with the horrors, hence the appeal of Kato :)
The cork strategy that the others have described sounds a good plan !

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:58:01 pm by MalcolmAL, Reason: speeling mistooks and fings »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 09:19:02 pm »
Well, that is a glowing review, Les... certainly gives folk something to think about - especially if they are contemplating the system.

Thanks for the contribution!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GeeBee

• N Gauge Society Number: 14888
  • Hi from Grahams world of the terminally bewildered
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:41 pm »

Will go looking!

happy New Year

I use that system if you look in Martini Holt album there are some photo's there if you need any more PM me and I will try to help
Regards Graham
Happy new year
 :ngauge:

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:31 am »
If you have any doubts about making Kato track look good watch the video of my mates B&O layout (now broken up) which used nothing but Kato Unitrack through. I admit Steve is a master at scenery as his other videos show, but this shows what is achievable

http://youtu.be/4o1h2umjWuI

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 08:34:22 am »
If you have any doubts about making Kato track look good watch the video of my mates B&O layout (now broken up) which used nothing but Kato Unitrack through. I admit Steve is a master at scenery as his other videos show, but this shows what is achievable

I am currently at the stage of laying track and was going to use Peco track and Seep point motors. Your little video is very inspiring as it is very apparent that Kato track CAN be made to look pretty good.

I have started another thread 'What track to use' to help me decide which way to go - Kato or Peco code 55. The decision is complicated by the fact that I have already bought all the Peco track and would obviously suffer a financial loss by not using it and buying Kato stuff (which is not inexpensive)

However there do seem to be a lot of advantages for me in using Kato track. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »
Hi Malcolm et al,
The Instruction manual that comes with the set is excellent in setting up the track etc etc but silent as to tech. details.
So here goes,
The Transformer is the usual black 3 pin plug type which is now virtually universal.It is rated 230 v.The box it comes in a Kato product box with a sticker marked 22-014.On the reverse of the Transformer plug is a silver sticker with the British Kitemark and E.E.C. conformity safety stamps and is marked 230 V.The Company logo is TDC Power Products Co.Ltd. and the sticker is also marked Ideal Power I/P.The plug/transformer is heat branded/stamped 3647
TO BE CONT'D.
LES
Rheingold

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »
HI,
The Controller is marked where the input wire from the Transformer goes into the Controller, (jackplug), is marked AC 15 V A.
The output for the wires on the Controller to the track is marked DC 12 V.
The studs(2) that connect from the Controller to the point motors are marked DC 12 V.
The Controller(apart from the speed etc. controls) is branded Kato Precision RailRoad Models.
It is also marked Model No. 22-014 (see Transformer above ditto No.).
Hope this helps.....probably not because I don't understand or can explain any of this...i hope it means something to you.
Regards,
LES
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:27:16 pm by RHEINGOLD, Reason: spelling.....AS USUAL ! »
Rheingold

Online mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2014, 02:21:46 pm »
you'll probably find the controller is by Digitrax who did a DCC set up for Kato some time ago , also you think the track is good wait until you try their locos , a question for the Kato boys - are the press studs a standard size ?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here