!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Unitrack System  (Read 27451 times)

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Unitrack System
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »
Need some plans - Type in Kato tracl plans in google, select images and take a look. Should give you ideas.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
Maybe you want something not quite as grand as this layout at Wroxham Miniature Worlds which is almost 100% Kato. Saw it for the first time last week. This is just one of several sequences that I recorded.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Online mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 04:02:00 pm »
has any one used the magnet uncoupler track ?
if so what's ,  the secret , they don't touch backys EZ couplers or the Kato ones (yes I put the drop wire's in !) hit and miss with atlas ones , it seems the magnets are weak - the Kato uncoupler track was new ,

alan

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »
Have found them to be a little inconsistent but that may be done to the variety of couplers I use. The coupler needs to be VERY free moving in its socket (graphic grease) and I admit and even when working you do need to have patience sometimes.

I have experimented with small earth magnets, similar to my HO stuff but much smaller, with two magnets either side of the track. Better, but pin position/angle becomes crucial else it just gets pulled off the rails.

I haven't dome any experimenting lately as I found it the end you seem to need more uncouplers than is practical so went back to using a pointed stick. Cheaper, works anywhere and less frustrating. Seems to be pretty much the standard thing on a lot of layouts

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:04 pm »
Thanks to everyone who replied and gave such positive responses to the requirements that I set out in my original post with regard to Kato Unitrack.
I today purchased via EBAY a new M2 Starter set,oval with passing loop,controller,point control switches and all the necessary bits and pieces to set up/plug and play at once for a very decent price.
I will post how I found it after Christmas when I've set it up and tried it out.
Thanks everyone.
Rheingold

:thankyousign:
Rheingold

Offline Westbury

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 01:32:43 pm »

As you guys are all saying such good things about this track I just ordered loose track to the equivalent of  the M1 sets loop as I dont need the controller. To evaluate and to serve as a test / run in / programming track...

Cheers all

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 01:53:52 pm »
I don't know whether it's me but the prices of the Kato track/electric points etc. seem to me to be very reasonable indeed compared to other makes of N gauge track etc. particularly when you have to add on point motors etc etc to those other makes track.
LES
Rheingold

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »
Added to that the sheer convenience of not worrying about how your frogs are juicing or your motors seeping.

Admittedly, if time and money were not an issue, the purist in me would love to engage in finescale handbuilt track modelling, but as that's not the case Unitrack (and the Tomix equivalent) suit me fine.

"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
The only down side to Kato Unitrack is that you are stuck to the degrees of bends, not like Peco flexi track where you can choose your own angle of curves, other wise the Kato system is great.
Geoff

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
There's that, but for smaller layouts like mine it's really not an issue. Tomix (the other big Japanese track manufacturer) do actually provide flexitrack, and Kato has an adapter section for connecting non-Unitrack rails, so it doesn't need to be a fundamental limitation.

I didn't realise until fairly recently that Unitrack is actually designed with Japanese living conditions in mind - many people here don't have the space for fixed layouts and Unitrack is designed to be solid enough to set up a temporary layout on the floor. Kato actually publish trackplans measured in tatami units which are clearly not permanent.

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
Does Tomix track marry up to Kato track?
Geoff

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »
Does Tomix track marry up to Kato track?

Kato part no. 20-045.

My main loop is a mixture of Kato and Tomix.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:28 pm »
The only down side to Kato Unitrack is that you are stuck to the degrees of bends, not like Peco flexi track where you can choose your own angle of curves, other wise the Kato system is great.

I do find though that with a little careful planning a good variety of flowing curves can be obtained. There are I think 12 different curves to chose from plus it is possible to create "flexi" track using the method shown by Mike Fifer. http://youtu.be/qXXLdEv_dqY

Offline Westbury

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

My loop of Kato track arrived today an I have been using it to run it my new 4F loco. I have to say I'm impressed with the Kato track systems ease of assembly and the overall quality. I'm still not sure on the overall look of the track but am sure a small amount of additional ballasting and weathering etc would improve it further...

For now it's just to be my run in / test / programming track, the layouts pressing ahead with Peco.

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »
There are some videos on YOU TUBE showing building up the depth of ballasting to disguise the depth of the shoulder of the track itself,it looks easy enough even for someone like me and far easier than having to ballast the whole track including the sleepers themselves.
Very impressive and the finished appearance is very good.
Les.
Rheingold

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything