!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Unitrack System  (Read 27449 times)

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Kato Unitrack System
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55:00 pm »
I think the universal opinion expressed on the Kato Unitrack System is that it is not only an excellent system but meets all of my requirements.
All I have to do now is to work out whether it's to be small or large radii points and the radii of the curves so I can work out how much room it will take so I can do some preliminary planning of my Termini and its approach trackwork.
Many thanks for all of the assistance,keep it coming if you think there is anything else that would be handy to know.
Many thanks.
Les  :)

:thankyousign:
Rheingold

Offline silverfox

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:42 pm »
Hi Les,

Good to hear you're going down the Unitrack route, If you need some smaller radii intel I've used both 117mm radius and 150mm radius curves and experimented with different locos. Got to say at this point that I'm a diesel fan so can only tell you this. Most locos happily negotiated the 150mm curve including a Deltic and a Peak, however the 117mm radius in my experience limits you to shorter loco with fewer axles on their bogies, I ran a Class 26 and a 33 round this without any problems, I don't think you'd get away with a 'Warship' though.

Hope this helps

Jason

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »
I ran a Class 26 and a 33 round this without any problems, I don't think you'd get away with a 'Warship' though.

Hope this helps

Jason

A Warship is still a 4 axle diesel as are the 26 and 33, Jason.
Are you sure you didn't mean a Western? :confused2:

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »
Hi
Joined this thread a little late but having had layouts with PECO and other Settrack systems in the past Unitracl is far superior. You do have to work a little harder sometimes to make stuff fit and produce the curved sections you want but it can be done.

The stuff is robust and electrically easy to cope with. I bought all mine after this layout was taken up. All the track was removed and cleaned with soapy water with no ill effects. video of the layout in use at    http://youtu.be/4o1h2umjWuI?list=UU7OyLIKCkMj0tL-4e5Zby9w

Offline silverfox

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »

I ran a Class 26 and a 33 round this without any problems, I don't think you'd get away with a 'Warship' though.

Hope this helps

Jason

No confusion I'm afraid Nobby and I assumed the same and borrowed a Warship from another exhibitor at a show to run round 'Upper Flushing' which must be around 140mm radius to see how it would go.......it didn't!...... I was surprised too given its length and axle arrangement. I will qualify this and state that it was one of the newer Farish Warships and not the older ones. I guess there is less articulation on the bogies on the newer ones? Either way I was gutted as I always fancied a Warship to run round my micros.

When I eventually get round to building a larger layout with my stash of unitrack I can expand my traction collection with more impunity.....funds permitting of course!!! :thumbsup:

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »
 I have 2 metres x 1 metre to play with and I'm modelling Continental stuff.
 So as for Diesels and Electric Locos it's either Continental Bo-Bo or CCo and as for steam it's a Continental ARNOLD 0-6-0 with 6 wheel tender and a Fleischmann 4-6-0 with an 8 wheel tender.
Can anyone advise which radii is most likely to be best although I appreciate unless you've run it yourself it's impossible to say with any certainty but some/any idea would be very helpful.
Also sorry to be thick but I was brought up and educated in the . S.D. and pounds and ounces days.
How many of each radii would I need to have a quarter circle and a full half circle so I can work out what space I will have in order to lay either of these for a quarter,half or reverse  loop on my proposed layout,basically a simpler version of the Minories layout i.e Terminus with continuous run and reverse loop to bring departing trains return to the Terminus.
Many thanks but the days when I had the wherewithall to work these things out myself without help seem to be .......well whatever.
Thanks to EVERYONE who have been so generous with their experience,hints,tips and suggestions.
Les 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:01:44 pm by RHEINGOLD »
Rheingold

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 10:16:00 pm »

Hope this helps

Jason

No confusion I'm afraid Nobby and I assumed the same and borrowed a Warship from another exhibitor at a show to run round 'Upper Flushing' which must be around 140mm radius to see how it would go.......it didn't!...... I was surprised too given its length and axle arrangement. I will qualify this and state that it was one of the newer Farish Warships and not the older ones. I guess there is less articulation on the bogies on the newer ones? Either way I was gutted as I always fancied a Warship to run round my micros.

I was going to express surprise about the Warship until I realised 140mm radius is only 5" :o

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03:12 am »
I have 2 metres x 1 metre to play with and I'm modelling Continental stuff.
 So as for Diesels and Electric Locos it's either Continental Bo-Bo or CCo and as for steam it's a Continental ARNOLD 0-6-0 with 6 wheel tender and a Fleischmann 4-6-0 with an 8 wheel tender.
Can anyone advise which radii is most likely to be best although I appreciate unless you've run it yourself it's impossible to say with any certainty but some/any idea would be very helpful.
Also sorry to be thick but I was brought up and educated in the . S.D. and pounds and ounces days.
How many of each radii would I need to have a quarter circle and a full half circle so I can work out what space I will have in order to lay either of these for a quarter,half or reverse  loop on my proposed layout,basically a simpler version of the Minories layout i.e Terminus with continuous run and reverse loop to bring departing trains return to the Terminus.
Many thanks but the days when I had the wherewithall to work these things out myself without help seem to be .......well whatever.
Thanks to EVERYONE who have been so generous with their experience,hints,tips and suggestions.
Les 

The three smaller-radius curves (183mm and less) are only really suitable for trams and short wheelbase stock (0-4-0s and the like). Evidently you can get larger locomotives around them but I imagine it would limit the speed which you can run them at, and would look somewhat silly, and I doubt whether your 4-6-0 would be happy with those at all. The smallest radius I use is 249mm, which my Farish 5MT 4-6-0 seems to cope with, and Kato recommend 249mm as the minimum radius for most of their steam locomotives. It might be worth experimenting with 216mm (the smallest "normal" radius curve) if you need to save space.

249mm radius means you'd need 50cm (or half your baseboard depth) to do a 180 degree circle.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 06:00:00 am »
Les if you goto www.anyrail.com you can download there program, you can put down upto 50 pieces in the free version, goto settings and put in your layout size then you can see what radious you can get in with Kato track.

Also there is a software dalled Scarm which is free to download.
Geoff

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:17 am »
The MG Sharp website is still functional and has a selection of track plans to view. It is still a useful reference.

However the firm appears to be inactive so Caveat Emptor!!

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-n-unitrack-track-plan-ideas-815-0.html

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-n-scale-unitrack-745-0.html

also some other sites (KAto USA)

http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html

Osbornes UK

http://www.katouk.com/track-plans-15-c.asp

AN Other

http://www.katotrainlayouts.com/default.html

should give you some ideas!!

Nick R

PS - MODS - how about a permanent Kato Unitrack thread in this Board??

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:43:56 am by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 11:18:36 am »
Many thanks Railsquid very helpful indeed.
Rheingold

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:56 am »
Many thanks for the links,v good and helpful.
I agree with your suggestion for a permanent Kato Unitrack thread.
Les :)
Rheingold

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 11:29:16 am »
Thanks Geoff,very helpful and useful links.
Les :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:31:28 am by RHEINGOLD, Reason: to add a smiley »
Rheingold

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 11:31:39 am »
I have made the thread a sticky so it will appear at the top of the list, so easy to find  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 11:32:33 am »
By the way if you check my (somewhat stagnant) layout thread, there are a couple of photos of my mainly Unitrack layout and a trackplan, which might give you an idea how it looks. The main baseboard is 1.8m x 0.9m (6' x 3'), so a little bit smaller than yours.

Note that the elevated track sections are mainly Tomix track, which is similar to Kato Unitrack but the ballast shoulder is smaller and the curves have a slightly different radius. (Also on the elevated curved section visible towards the top-left corner, one of the Tomix 45deg curves is suspended only by its connections to the adjacent track pieces - no vertical supports at all - that's how robust this stuff is; and Unitrack would be just as strong. However it's not going to be a permanent feature, was just handy to check the layout idea is feasible).
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here