!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any Cyclists out There?  (Read 10448 times)

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
Re: Any Cyclists out There?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »
I was cycling to work until recently, using my bargain basement velocipede from an Argos Outlet store. It was a really smart looking crossover called a Challenge Crusade and cost the princely sum of £57. Not bad at all, considering it came ready assembled and with mudguards.

Eighteen months on, it is still going on with new tyres and front handlebar mount. May need a new rear wheel at some point, as a couple of the spokes have come out and it is slightly less than round... :-[
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »
Nice bike Longdridge. I used to delivery messages (groceries) for the Co-op on the old fashioned bikes with the big basket on the front. That built up your leg muscles no end.

:wave:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 10:22:44 pm »
Nice bike Longdridge. I used to delivery messages (groceries) for the Co-op on the old fashioned bikes with the big basket on the front. That built up your leg muscles no end.

:wave:

No doubt with the nickname of G-G-G-Granville :D

Offline cycletrak9

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »
Found this old pic when I was browsing and thought I'd share it.

It was taken in 1970 - in those days the world championships included a 100km team time trial which was for national teams of four [unlike today when it is run on a Pro-team basis]. The British Cycling Federation [now British Cycling] were getting fed up with the East Germans winning every year and organised a series of selection races to aid team selection. This is our club team - with me doing a rare turn at the front- in one of the events.

It didn't do any good as what we didn't know until some years later was that the East Germans were not necessarily better cyclists but they did have a much larger pharmacy, generally administered without the riders' knowledge.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 11:51:00 pm »
Nice - bit of a Laurent fignon look to you there sir!

Happy to have found this thread - I shall add some pics of my bicycles when I get in front of a real computer..

Donald

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »
Still waiting for those pics Donald!  ;)

The company I work for have just changed supplier for our cycle to work scheme, and increased the maximum threshold we can spend, now trying to work out the most cost effective way to get a new bike!  :D

in those days the world championships included a 100km team time trial which was for national teams of four [unlike today when it is run on a Pro-team basis]

To be fair, the World Champs is still very much on a country basis (although some allegiances formed on trade teams may still have an impact), there's just no team TT at all!

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 02:51:09 pm »
My contribution

I have both a mountain bike and a road bike and summer times I am trying to do at least 100 km per week divided over 3/ 4 days just to keep fit.

I bought for the missus an electrical bike in Holland which is doing 25 km/h supported with a range of around 80 kilometres. I must say since we have that little piece of kit I bike to work ( on hers off course ) 15 km per day instead of driving the car. I love this bike so much that I am considering to get one myself

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
Hi

Just returned from a weeks holiday at Matlock. We took the bikes and has two great rides.

1  Monsall Trail - Bakewell to beyond Millersdale slightly uphill all the way on the ex double tracked Midland Main line over two viaducts and through six tunnels - all lit. Spectacular ride with towering rocks and great views. Easier to pretend I was a train on the way back!  Pity it rained on the last leg.

2  Manifold Trail - valley track along another ex single tracked line. Again some gradients up and down and a single tunnel and many small crossings of the two rivers in  the dale. A dryer day with little wind. Again spectacular scenery.

On way back to our cottage took this snap of a Midland Region signal box just like the one on my layout!!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Cheers

Mac :beers:

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »
Monsall trail & Manifold trail. Now there is two place's I would like to go and visit, must look it up next summer, just need to find a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of the car.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:06:32 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »
Monsall trail & Manifold trail. Now there is two place's I would like to go and visit, must look it up next summer, just need to find a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of the car.
Take the wheels off!  ::)

Glad to be of help!

Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »

The company I work for have just changed supplier for our cycle to work scheme, and increased the maximum threshold we can spend, now trying to work out the most cost effective way to get a new bike!  :D

in those days the world championships included a 100km team time trial which was for national teams of four [unlike today when it is run on a Pro-team basis]

To be fair, the World Champs is still very much on a country basis (although some allegiances formed on trade teams may still have an impact), there's just no team TT at all!

I wouldn't let BMC know that there isn't a team time trial in the World Championships - they are labouring under the misapprehension that they won it in 2014!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 11:36:26 pm »
 Oh yes  :-[

Only reintroduced in 2012 in my defence!

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:19 pm »

I'm finding it quite hard to find digital versions of bicycle related stuff.  Lets hope the pics are on my laptop at work...

meantime, heres some bike stuff that i can find:

here's the latest magnolia family bike, posing in front of the family chill pod railway room!
we got this just a couple of weeks ago through one of the groupon type emails, I think it was 'livingsocial' or some such.  £300 for a 700euro bike.  Its getting heavy use going up and down Portobello prom for messages and to transport daughters to waterpolo sessions.  7 speed nexus hub and back pedal brake!  I've just bought a secret santa red with white spots big bell for it.

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:52 pm »
oh, and here is my 'posh' steed - the Audax bike, a Condor Fratello, just returned from a jaunt some while back and posing just opposite the family chill pod, er railway room, but lounging against the wall of the so-called 'barn' or bicycle room...

and here is the bicycle room:

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:41 pm »
Here's a blast from the past!

My Revel Ritmo pictured somewhere on the Yorkshire moors, just a little while before it got stolen, in about 1767, or thereby:

well, probably around 1986, in earth years.  I still have those Karrimor panniers, having used them all around Europe and to and from work for the last 30 years...

The fact that they dont have klick-fit straps but the old-style push-it-in and pull to tighten still bugs me every time I use them!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here