!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any Cyclists out There?  (Read 8736 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Any Cyclists out There?
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
Got my hopes up from Ozzie Bill's thread, but motorbikes don't count ;-)

Seen a few references to cycling out there, and PostModN66's bike shop cameo on Deansmoor. Who rides then? Let's see those bikes?

Been my first love for many years sadly, although railways are gaining pace!

Here's my Trek Superfly mountain bike:

and in use:

Got a couple of road bikes too, but they're always in too shameful a state to photograph!

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Any Cyclists out There?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:43:41 am »
Pretty cool. Last bike I ever rode was me Christmas present in Houghton-le-Spring, and riding home from school in pouring rain with me had down and the eggs I'd picked up for me Mam, I crashed into a stationary car.

Eggs went west, I went over bonnet, front forks of bike got bent through 90 degrees, me old man went off his head, and I've never had a bike since.  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:47:24 am »
I've owned (but hardly used) a somewhat heavy Raleigh mountain bike for years and it's never been off road. Having avidly watched the Tour de France, La Vuelta and the Tour of Britain this year, and having had a replacement hip operation, I reckon it's time I got some new inner tubes/tyres and got some exercise :-[

As an ex biker (Triumphs) I love your Rocket Ron tyres :thumbsup: :D

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
We've all crashed into parked cars bealman, I've done it at least twice, you're in good company!

Yep, no excuse Nobby! The tyres are from a brand called Schwalbe, they do a whole load with alliterative names - Nobby Nic you may approve of too! There's Racing Ralph, Furious Fred, Dirty Dan, Muddy Mary among others, always amuses my non-cycling friends.

Offline petercharlesfagg

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23769
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 03:36:52 pm »
If it is of interest, I have been cycling since  was 11 years old and at present I have a Dawes "Die Hard" mountain bicycle (25 years old)  with slick tyres and panniers.

I have cycled in many parts of the UK and Scandinavia.

Not interested in off-road unless it is to sit down and take in the view while I have a cuppa!  Gently taking in the countryside is my way of getting away from it all, even better if I have a fellow traveller to share the experiences.

Since knee replacements I cycle less and walk more up hills etc!

Regards, Peter.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:36:20 pm by petercharlesfagg »
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
My main bike is a Specialized road bike, but I am in the process of sprucing up this 1972 Carlton Corsa with the intention of doing the Eroica Britannia next year;

I mostly do local rides with some mates but did a couple of big rides this summer including Nottingham (115 miles) and Norwich (119)

cheers  Jon   :)
We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:32:51 pm »
My profile pic. probably answers your question. In addition to the beautiful Bianchi I also have a (nearly vintage!) 1995 Kona AA, said by one Martyn Ashton, sometime Word Champ, last year when I met him, to be in great condition! When I can get some money together I'm seriously thinking of having it stripped down and resprayed in a custom Martini stripes livery. I don't have any photos of it at the moment but if this project comes off - and it's sadly lower in the list than "getting a new roof on my house" unfortunately - I'll stick something up!

Have already booked time off to watch the Tour de Yorkshire next year.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:44:15 pm »
A veritable feast of two wheeled diversity!

Not my thing at all, but the Carlton looks great - lovely condition, bet it weighs a chunk more than my mountain bike! L'eroica is meant to be a great event.

Offline Brooksy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 08:17:44 pm »
I've got a five mile commute (over a hill) that I do twice a day but other than that, only if I need to get somewhere. Cycling is much easier here in Belgium because of the dedicated cycle paths and motorists who are aware and (generally) considerate of cyclists. The Belgians though love it and of a Saturday or Sunday you'll generally seen four or five massive pelotons of 20-30 people flying by during the course of the day and of course many more smaller groups. Me though, I'll stick to the running.  :)

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 12:13:18 am »
We own Trek mountain bikes, but they are nowhere near as fancy as njee20s Superfly :envy:

Sadly though we have been grounded for the last few weeks... There is a manhunt going on in the woods where we bike looking for a guy who shot at two Pennslvania State Troopers. Sadly one trooper was killed and the other is still in hospital. Eric Frein, the guy they are searching for, has been hiding in the dense woodland near us since September 12th!! Pretty creepy

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 12:42:39 am »
Here is a pic of my bike, note my sons bikes behind. One is a cube with carbon fibre frame, its so light compared to mine,saving up for next year.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:04 am »
I have a bike, which I use to propel myself through the centre of Tokyo at weekends for the purpose of exercise (less unpleasant than it sounds)... but hesitate to call myself a "cyclist" because that would imply I could hold a heated argument about the merits of various brands of bottle holders (my solution: bottle of water kept in my rucksack) and possibly own items of lycra clothing ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:55:06 am by railsquid »
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 05:46:06 am »
We own Trek mountain bikes, but they are nowhere near as fancy as njee20s Superfly :envy:

Sadly though we have been grounded for the last few weeks... There is a manhunt going on in the woods where we bike looking for a guy who shot at two Pennslvania State Troopers. Sadly one trooper was killed and the other is still in hospital. Eric Frein, the guy they are searching for, has been hiding in the dense woodland near us since September 12th!! Pretty creepy
Eeeek. That is enough reason to stay out of the woods, methinks.  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 06:59:38 am »
Agreed, that's horrible!  :goggleeyes:

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:51 am »
I'm also a one time cyclist - I joined the local cycling club when I was 15 [1958] and rode my first race , a 15 mile time trial] in May 1960. This is the photo I'm using on my profile. I subsequently competed over a period of more than 40 years, riding everything from 4000m pursuits on the track to 12 hour time trials and road races, hillclimbs, cyclocross [in the days before mountain biking] and grass track racing. I competed up to National Championship level and only stopped  when the cost of competing at a reasonable level became prohibitive, particularly as I had by this time started a  family - I became a Dad for the first time at 45.

I continued to ride non-competitively until a couple of years ago, mostly cycle touring but I rode a few charity bike rides including the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride where the standard of bunch riding was so bad that I vowed not to repeat the experience.

This is a photo from the 1970's taken in the end-of-season "Blue Riband" event, the Brentwood Road Club 25 mile time trial. There was always fierce competition to gain a place in this race as only the 120 fastest entries [based on previous times] were selected and the event was always heavily over subscribed.  A note on the back of the picture shows my time as 58:08

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything