!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hailstone's Workbench  (Read 5975 times)

Online Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Hailstone's Workbench
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 10:30:56 pm »
I have now run the pug for 5 minutes continuously on half power and the resistor did indeed get a little warm, but I could barely feel it on my finger, only by putting the resistor against my top lip did it become noticeable, so I think unless you are going to work it hard, there will be no heating problem.
For those who are also building this loco, it will definitely need all the weight you can pack in to it as I found that it ran a lot better with a large track rubber balanced on to of it! (a double o gauge association one) I intend to pack it with Lead or Tungsten, (I just have to find the Tungsten to make a comparison).
I now have the transfers thanks to an extremely fast service via the NGS online shop and will have to set to fettling And cleaning the body prior to painting - happy days!

Regards,

Alex

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 02:07:23 am »
I have finally got round to finishing a few projects that have been on my mind for ages, first of all the L&Y pug:

and thanks to info supplied by Karhedron I finally have a B set and an autocoach in BR crimson

last but not least, I have wanted a Britannia with western pattern smoke deflectors ever since Dapol started selling them and I bought a weathered example 70025 Western Star at TINGS as I just happened to have a set of nameplates and at 60 it seemed too good to miss, however when I got it home and tested it, it wouldn't move at all. a quick stripdown proved the problem to be that the left hand piston rod was glued to the cylinder! a little gentle twisting freed it and once the excess had been scraped off and the loco reassembled it ran ok albeit with a bit of a wobble which was cured by replacing the left hand traction tyre, the right hand one seeming to be ok.
running in then proceeded with no further problems, and the Peedie models etches were prepared and fitted. all that needs doing now is to weather the new smoke deflectors to match the rest of the loco, which I will do once I have had a bit of practice with the new airbrush I bought a couple of years ago!

in the meantime I will have a little running session  :bounce:

Regards,

Alex

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:46 am »
They all look smashing, Alex, especially the little Pug! :thumbsup:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 11:39:15 am »
Great stuff, I love the pug but the Brit is really good. I can't believe how much of a difference to the look the WR deflectors make.  8)

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 02:55:29 pm »
Great stuff, I love the pug but the Brit is really good. I can't believe how much of a difference to the look the WR deflectors make.  8)

they are surprisingly easy to fit too, my only worry now is that I will mess them up when I try to weather them to match the rest of the loco.

Regards,

Alex

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 10:46:41 pm »
As I have only seen Bob Tidbury's completed Trojan, I thought I might show the progress so far on the pair that I am building, one for me and one for Jerry Howlett.

so far, I have primed and rubbed down 3 times, fitted the handrails and the sandboxes, just the whistles and lamp irons to go (works plates will be fitted after painting

Regards,

Alex

Offline Rob H

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Out !!
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 07:59:51 am »
Hi Alex,

Could you please tell me where you got the extra bits, handrails, sandboxes etc, from.

Regards,

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 10:26:35 am »
Hi Alex,

Could you please tell me where you got the extra bits, handrails, sandboxes etc, from.

Regards,

Rob.

Bob, the sandboxes were made from plastic bar, the handrails, lamp Irons, toolboxes safety valves,
handrail knobs and whistles come from BH  enterprises and Nbrass locos - between them they have just about all the detailing parts you could ever need.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Rob H

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Out !!
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 10:35:55 am »
Thanks for that Alex, are the parts specific to the Trojan ?

This is my first attempt to build a loco kit so I'm a bit out of my depth !!

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 10:53:32 am »
No Bob, the handrails, handrail knobs and whistles are generic, the safety valves I chose for their look and size looking at a photo of the prototype (I could yet be wrong there!) the toolboxes and lamp irons are standard GWR fittings. I worked on Trojan when it was just a set of frames and wheels in the lifting shop at Didcot but haven't had a closer look since it was rebuilt. I will rectify this soon as Jerry Howlett and I will attend a reunion of past Didcot volunteers on the 29th of April and I intend to have a closer look and take more pictures and measurements to help me add the parts I have not yet added a bit more accurately.
in the meantime, have a look at this website:

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/48/Trojan.htm

Regards,

Alex

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »
just as a change from the Tjojans, I decided to give a rebuilt Bullied a new identity given that Dapol's ones now appear to be well byond the horizon, and to renumber another Britannia as a western region engine.
So it is that "clan Line" has now become 34001 "Exeter"

and 70038 Robin Hood is now 70024 "Vulcan" 

Regards,

Alex

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 04:22:40 pm »
Too much time on your hands...   :D
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:04 am »
Superb modelling. Are you also going to fit WR-pattern smoke deflectors on "Vulcan" like you did on 70025 "Western Star"? "Western Star" looks excellent with the WR type (without handrails and with handholds). "Exeter" looks very good, too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:01:39 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »
Superb modelling. Are you also going to fit WR-pattern smoke deflectors on "Vulcan" like you did on 70025 "Western Star"? "Western Star" looks excellent with the WR type (without handrails and with handholds). "Exeter" looks very good, too.
No Chris, I have depicted Vulcan as it appears in a photo I discovered on the web. I wanted one example of each BR crest in a WR guise

Regards,

Alex

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 10:13:34 am »
Ah, I understand, Alex. The changed smoke deflectors were a later fitting so your "Vulcan" is in original condition. The WR "Britannias" were very attractive locos. As they were common, for some years, on the Cornish mainline, until transferred away, they certainly look at home. Alas, they would be far too heavy to run between Bodmin Road, Wadebridge, and Penmayne [Padstow].

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything