Rivet counting v actually enjoying your hobby

Started by Elvinley, September 15, 2011, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Mc

Just to add to the point,I was part of an exhibition team from our local model railway club that exhibited 2 layouts at a small event in Sheffield earlier this year which catered for mainly bus enthusiasts.
Our club had a n gauge shunting layout which,obviously,I would prefer to operate,but as its a club,I mainly operated the oo scale LMS steam layout with two others.Now this isn't my chosen era so I know next to nowt about LMS but I wasn't all that bothered so I carried on anyway.
As the day went on and the room temperature rose,the layout started doing things that hindered the running of the layout and as someone who likes to see good smooth running,I was a bit frustrated by this but I persevered with it all.If anyone thinks there are too many rivet counters in model railways should look at bus enthusiasts.They are a breed apart I can tell you,and,furthermore,they know lots of stuff thats inconsequential to a great many of us but like to air their views without any thought to anyone else.Even after being told that this was only my second exhibition as an operator,not knowing the layout intimately,not knowing LMS practices and the layout playing up due to no ventilation it still didn't deter them.
I think if people don't want to just enjoy the endeavours of other peoples time and labour then why bother coming to see us make a hash of things.
Habe a go yourselves and put your money where your mouth is.
My guess is they won't cos someone may be critical of their own masterpieces if they indeed have one,that is.
Mine is purely fictional and at some point may go to an event that may be hosted by our MRC in the future,who knows so as long as it runs well that'll be fine by me.
Also,is it just me or can you tell the rivet counters that operate layouts but have no stock movement for ages,meaning people just move on to the next layout and see lots of train movement which may not he prototypical,but thats what people want to see.
I've got nothing against rivet counters,they are people like you and me,but keep it to yourselves,tell your mates in the pub thay I'm rubbish at playing trains or some details not right,just don't air your views to us like you would if you'd just ordered a prime fillet steak and got a burger instead.
Rant over,sorry if I may have upset someone,goodnight. :Dapol: :GraFar: :NGAUGE: ;)
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

4x2

I feel your pain ! I work in the bus industry, and have had many arguments with 'bus enthusiasts'. One guy told me we had new buses coming 4 weeks before they were delivered - you can't pass wind with these guys finding out !!! I'm planning to exibit my layout when it's finished, i think i'll need some training in the 'biteing my tounge' department !  ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

MinZaPint

Quote from: Zunnan on September 16, 2011, 12:24:21 AM
Someone heavily involved with the mags basically said if its not good enough it gets photoshopped to look good enough.

Another illusion shattered! Bit like a woman without makeup then!

Whoops, didn't get the lady wifes permission to say that
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

Quote from: MinZaPint on September 16, 2011, 03:40:05 PM

Another illusion shattered! Bit like a woman without makeup then!

Whoops, didn't get the lady wifes permission to say that

:smiley-laughing:Another NGF member in the dogbox - we're getting quite a collection ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations