Storm warning

Started by Newportnobby, September 10, 2011, 11:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Hope you guys north of the border have seen the weather forecast for Monday 12th Sept.
Better batten down the hatches :thumbsdown:

tadpole

Hmmm. Just what we need:  the perfect end to the crappest summer on record.

I'm sure there are several hatches in the attic (train room) that need battening down and checking at regular intervals.
Two rails good. Three better.

MJKERR

Gusts of up to 80mph expected, that is nothing
I would be more concerned over actual hurricane weather, with sustained 80mph
We get these warnings every year now, like we forgot about previous springs and autumns...

Fratton

and considering the place where they are due,,,, int troon the trees on the front grow away from the shore due to sustained wind,,,,, im sure no-one will lose sleep up there,,,
Charlie.

Adam1701D

I wonder if the wires will stay up on the ECML tomorrow? It normally takes a gnat's fart to bring down all four lines.  :thumbsdown:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

tadpole

When they repair the catenary, do they use a like-for-like fix, safe in the knowledge it'll blow down again as soon as the next gnat gets a bout of flatulence, or do they actually try and strengthen it?
Two rails good. Three better.

Adam1701D

There has been a lot of work going on for years to beef up sections of line that are prone to come down, such as Holme Fen south of Peterborough.

Trouble is, the ECML was done on the cheap with 4-span wires instead of solid structures and we are still paying the price. Network Rail have specified a return to solid cross-beams on all new OHL projects.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

poliss

Strong winds always make our block of flats sway. Makes me feel seasick.  :-X

Jellicoe

Thr trouble with these weather warnings is that the Darwin Award candidates can't move fast enough to get stuck half way up Ben Nevis or go herring fishing in a blow-up dinghy.  What's the betting that someone gets swept off the pier whilst trying to rescue a pet gerbil?

Lawrence

It only got up to just over 70 mph in gusts today, nothing compared to last year  ;)

Mustermark

Quote from: Jellicoe on September 12, 2011, 05:58:26 PM
Thr trouble with these weather warnings is that the Darwin Award candidates can't move fast enough to get stuck half way up Ben Nevis or go herring fishing in a blow-up dinghy.  What's the betting that someone gets swept off the pier whilst trying to rescue a pet gerbil?
:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

scotsoft

A slight breeze is expected and the  only danger is if the breeze lifts your sporran then lets it crash down on the crown jewels  :evil:

Quote from: newportnobby on September 10, 2011, 11:41:32 PM
Hope you guys north of the border have seen the weather forecast for Monday 12th Sept.
Better batten down the hatches :thumbsdown:

Adam1701D

As predicted...overhead lines down on the ECML. Tree across the line between Darlington and Durham.  :thumbsdown:

:Class91:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

painbrook

Poliss what floor are you in your flat/building ?.   Cheers john .

poliss

I'm on the 13th floor. The first flat I looked at was on the 19th floor and that felt like crossing the Atlantic in a rowing boat.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations