October Railway Modeller

Started by Newportnobby, September 08, 2011, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I gave up writing articles for newspapers etc, for quite some time when I worked in the HiFi trade I wrote a HiFi section for a TV and Radio guide but after the editor decided to chop and change things around a few times it became quite clear to me that it made no sense at all so I pulled the plug 
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

H

I can't say that I've found heavy handed editing to be a problem with articles submitted in the model railway press. I have had quite a few published in Railway Modeller, BRM, Model Rail, Rail Express Modeller, the NGS Journal and even once in the Hornby mag over the years and they've not been hacked out of recognition. But I guess it depends on the standard of writing and knowledge of the editor.

However, these days I tend not to contribute to the commercial press, preferring to write for my own publications where I also carry out the editing.  ;D

H.

painbrook

When did the 'railway modeller' October edition go on  sale ? . Cheers john .

Newportnobby

Quote from: painbrook on September 09, 2011, 01:25:50 PM
When did the 'railway modeller' October edition go on  sale ? . Cheers john .

It's always on sale the 2nd Thursday of the month e.g. this month it was in on 8th - in October it will be 13th etc etc
My local Te**o always has it the correct day.

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: H on September 09, 2011, 12:28:52 PM
I can't say that I've found heavy handed editing to be a problem with articles submitted in the model railway press. I have had quite a few published in Railway Modeller, BRM, Model Rail, Rail Express Modeller, the NGS Journal and even once in the Hornby mag over the years and they've not been hacked out of recognition. But I guess it depends on the standard of writing and knowledge of the editor.

Likewise...I have had a couple of articles published in Continental Modeller with no changes of any consequence to the original script I submitted.

Portpatrick

Quote from: Mustermark on September 09, 2011, 01:26:12 AM
I only bother with Model Rail.  Most of the content is OO :-X  but there is a decent amount of N gauge (layouts and reviews) and useful general modelling articles too.

I think the N Gauge Soc and N'spirations do a good job of filling the gap, and I like getting those because I know it's all N gauge!!! :thumbsup:

yes this has been my only regular for 10 years.  I usually find a good mix of articles.  I do scan others sometimes in case there is anything of note - usually either N and/or Scottish!  However my colleagues at my Model railway Club had already received their October editions last night.  I am still waiting.  either MR have slipped up or Royal Mail have.

We have not had a delivery since last Saturday and the Watford office is known to be unreliable.  I wonder which.

Fratton

inspired by octobers railway modeller i skipped down to squires tools and craft shop (plug for good service) and picked up some spray adhesive and brown spray paint,,

with these results

the first of many trees that will be appearing im sure, i pretty much knew how to do it but the given method sealed it for me and it trully does take minutes to knock up realistic looking trees (well compared to some of the off the shelve ones ive looked at)

only downside,,,, spray adhesive is expensive but i should be able to make a fair few trees from the can i bought,,,,
Charlie.

H

Good grief, that was rapid work since getting the mag, but looking very good.

BTW you can get spray mount adhesive in Smiths when you pick up the mag and an aerosol of brown paint from Halfords.

H.

Fratton

i thought smiths would but didnt want to venture all the way into the centre of Bognoria,,,, the spray is railmatch cause i needed it anyway, i am going to get some paint from halfords next week, the trunk i had a load of craft wire in the drawer that didnt have a pourpose,,,

the only problem ive had is that the original instructions call for string to be used, i couldnt get any but bought a spindle of miniature ship ringing rope which worked just as well,
Charlie.

Bikeracer

Judging by the small size of the fonts used for some advertisers maybe they should include a voucher for an eye test redeemable at any optician. ;D

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bikeracer on September 09, 2011, 08:13:55 PM
Judging by the small size of the fonts used for some advertisers maybe they should include a voucher for an eye test redeemable at any optician. ;D

Allan

As someone optically challenged, I totally agree

Bealman

I too have sumitted articles to Railway Modeller over the years about my Beal & Castle Eden railway. These were during the mid nineties, the last one being May 97. I do not recall much heavy handed editing. My first copy of the magazine is April 57 so I remain a loyal reader. Hopefully there will be an article on my layout in the future as i have begun restoration after an almost 15 year hiatus.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Good luck with being published again - keep us in touch please :thumbsup:

painbrook

Late with a reply , I could'nt find two recent copies that had next to nothing N gauge , I've bought RM in the past because I've always found that it had something for 'everyone' and about the only mag that frequently had 009 narrow gauge items . Has for the n gauge trees  :o that must line up with the n gauge blue skies, clouds, shrubs and grass etc, seriously guys I'm not knocking anyone. What I did see was an advert for/by ' http://www.mylocosound.com/ . Question has anyone had experience with their products . Cheers John .

jonclox

I'm afraid that I havn`t renewed my subscription to it this July. I found that it was 'much of a muchness' most months so just gave up getting it every month and now just intend to buy when I see it  has something I could do with reading
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP