!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 1:60 or are they?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline petercharlesfagg

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23769
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
1:60 or are they?
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:08:53 pm »
Friends,
I have been given a tiny locomotive which states that it is 1:60 scale, likewise I purchased on the 'net an 80 foot double deck pig transporter also at 1:60 but they look as if they are different scales!

What do you think?

Peter.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:12:53 pm by petercharlesfagg »
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: 1:60 or are they?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:11:35 pm »
Friends,
I have been given a tiny locomotive which states that it is 1:60 scale,

1:60 would be bigger than "00" Scale (which is 1:74) and would look a touch large on any N Gauge layout  Peter! :toot: :toot:

I think you mean 1:160 scale (European) which is slightly smaller than British 1:148 Scale :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:14:02 pm by Only Me »

Offline philwhite

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
That's quite an extreme difference! Those little 4-4-0's look great!

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »
Only Me has it spot on Peter, the reason the pig transporter looks big is because they are mostly 40' in length where as your one is 80' in length.

If you wish to sell the loco (or do a swap) I would definitely be interested as I do like these small locos especially as that one is the Pennsylvania Railroad  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »
Are double deck pigs the sort who used to feature on that "Makin' Bacon" t-shirt? :-[

Offline petercharlesfagg

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »
Only Me has it spot on Peter, the reason the pig transporter looks big is because they are mostly 40' in length where as your one is 80' in length.

If you wish to sell the loco (or do a swap) I would definitely be interested as I do like these small locos especially as that one is the Pennsylvania Railroad  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

John, thanks for the offer but I am extremely unlikely to sell a gift!  The person who gave it wants to see it running around the track sometime!

I saw one on Ebay the other day, used, and a reasonable price, it might still be there?

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »
Hi Peter, there were 80' cars, although the locomotive you have there is better suited to a outside braced 40' or even an earlier 36', those little 440s are tiny

I'm curious how well does it run?, I think it'd look ever so sweet with 3 boxcars and a old caboose.  I think its a very early (pre-1880s prototype) given the more modern lines of this P.R.R. American 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PRR_D6_317.jpg

although that said three 440s were used into the late 50s in New Brunswick Canada because of the light rail on the Chipman sub so you've got a bit of flexibility :)

Graham
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:21:36 pm by grumbeast »

Offline scotsoft

• Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:21:47 pm »
Hi Graham,

They run really well, here is a short video of my Jupiter (same mechanism as the PRR).

Jupiter

cheers John.

Offline petercharlesfagg

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:58 am »
Hi Peter, there were 80' cars, although the locomotive you have there is better suited to a outside braced 40' or even an earlier 36', those little 440s are tiny

I'm curious how well does it run?, I think it'd look ever so sweet with 3 boxcars and a old caboose.  I think its a very early (pre-1880s prototype) given the more modern lines of this P.R.R. American 

although that said three 440s were used into the late 50s in New Brunswick Canada because of the light rail on the Chipman sub so you've got a bit of flexibility :)

Graham

Graham, thankyou for the informative post.

I had no intentions of running the loco with the 80 foot double decker it was merely my curiosity at how the 1:60 scale differed!

Hopefully someone can come up with an idea or two as to what I should save up for next!

Regards, Peter.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »
John,

That is a great video! The sky background and low-level camera work do indeed give the impression of the American prairie lands of the Mid-West. Shame at the end though... we saw how it was done!

Next obvious question.... did you go out all night searching for that music, or did you have it secreted away in some boot-scootin' collection somewhere?  ;) :thumbsup:

George
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:35:22 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline scotsoft

• Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 04:15:19 pm »
John,

That is a great video! The sky background and low-level camera work do indeed give the impression of the American prairie lands of the Mid-West. Shame at the end thought we saw how it was done!
I just wanted to show how simple it was to make a small setup to take a video, just video trickery  :D

Next obvious question.... did you go out all night searching for that music, or did you have it secreted away in some boot-scootin' collection somewhere?  ;) :thumbsup:
That music is a very well known bluegrass tune George, it is called "The Orange Blossom Special", many people have recorded it and I felt it was spot on for the Jupiter   :music:

George

I will admit to having quite a large music collection to draw on when looking for background tracks  :laugh2:

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything