what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Recently watched a DVD about an American 20ft x 14ft layout and was very impressed with what I saw, the layout was a mere 18 inches wide and ran completely around the walls of the room.

I had been having a few problems with reaching sections of my layout so decided that is the direction I would take, I thought about this for quite a while before attacking my  layout but this week I fired up the jigsaw and now have a 10ft x 5ft layout 15 inches wide that runs around the walls of my shed.

I guess the thing that appealed to me most besides everything being easy to get to was the fact that I can have several cameo scenes and the ability to have various industrial and scenic sections.

The other thing that impressed me with a round the wall layout was the ability to watch all trains running by standing at one end of the layout.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

4x2

I think i've seen that layout in the Model railroader mag, it's a great idea, - mainly because it feels like the trains are actually going somewhere not just round in circles. Would love to try this myself, but alas no room at the inn... (how's that for a christmas punn ? :smiley-laughing:)

Good luck with yours oldrailbug, love to see some pics of your layout when it's ready.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

scotsoft

Quote from: oldrailbug on December 07, 2011, 03:47:15 AM
Recently watched a DVD about an American 20ft x 14ft layout and was very impressed with what I saw, the layout was a mere 18 inches wide and ran completely around the walls of the room.

I had been having a few problems with reaching sections of my layout so decided that is the direction I would take, I thought about this for quite a while before attacking my  layout but this week I fired up the jigsaw and now have a 10ft x 5ft layout 15 inches wide that runs around the walls of my shed.

I guess the thing that appealed to me most besides everything being easy to get to was the fact that I can have several cameo scenes and the ability to have various industrial and scenic sections.

The other thing that impressed me with a round the wall layout was the ability to watch all trains running by standing at one end of the layout.

A few questions if you don't mind.

Any chance of a link where you got the DVD please?

You say it is 10 foot x 5 foot layout 15 inches wide, does that mean you have a 10 foot section and a 5 foot section?

When your trains get to the end, do you reverse them back along or if not how do you turn them only having 15 inches width?

If these are idiot questions I apologise, it is Monday morning, I'm still topping up my caffine and I am still gathering information about layouts, so when I see something I don't understand I ask  ???

Thanks John.

longbridge

Quote from: scotsoft on December 07, 2011, 10:08:33 AM
Quote from: oldrailbug on December 07, 2011, 03:47:15 AM

A few questions if you don't mind.

Any chance of a link where you got the DVD please?

The DVD is called Tracks Ahead which is an American TV series, I have 90 volumes of them this one was No703

You say it is 10 foot x 5 foot layout 15 inches wide, does that mean you have a 10 foot section and a 5 foot section?

The shed is 10ft x 5ft and the 15 inch wide layout runs around the walls, in theory there are two nearly 30ft long loops.

When your trains get to the end, do you reverse them back along or if not how do you turn them only having 15 inches width?

Two 10ft x 5ft loops that also cross the doorway.

If these are idiot questions I apologise, it is Monday morning, I'm still topping up my caffine and I am still gathering information about layouts, so when I see something I don't understand I ask  ???

I know how you feel my eyes are so full of sleep I can hardly see the monitor

Thanks John.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

I'd love to see some pics ORB. Do you have a lift out section where the door is or just open the door outwards and crawl/glide under whatever height you've set it at? My last layout was set in a bedroom (fairly 8ft square) and I took the door off it's hinges and put it on a slider. Then ran the layout 2ft wide round all 4 walls. I never had a lift out section which probably accounts for my back problems :(

longbridge

Quote from: newportnobby on December 07, 2011, 08:30:31 PM
I'd love to see some pics ORB. Do you have a lift out section where the door is or just open the door outwards and crawl/glide under whatever height you've set it at? My last layout was set in a bedroom (fairly 8ft square) and I took the door off it's hinges and put it on a slider. Then ran the layout 2ft wide round all 4 walls. I never had a lift out section which probably accounts for my back problems :(

Geez Mick yr a man after me own heart, remember great minds think alike, like you I didnt bother making a hinged section near the door I far prefer banging me bonce every now and them, nothing fairy about us two
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Pengi

Been using Railmodeller to plan. Fortunately the free version does allow you to save the bill of materials and I have saved some screen shots. But all will probably change when I try them out tomorrow.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EtchedPixels

Getting some track laid. I decided to do a long uninterrupted chunk of work. Snow hill approaches from the Wolverhampton end are now pinned lightly into place along with platforms four and six. Tomorrow it's time to tackle 9, 10 and 12.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

4x2

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 10, 2011, 05:30:38 PM
Getting some track laid. I decided to do a long uninterrupted chunk of work. Snow hill approaches from the Wolverhampton end are now pinned lightly into place along with platforms four and six. Tomorrow it's time to tackle 9, 10 and 12.
Me too ! Just came back from the local model shop with some track, i'll just finish me brew and i'll get started.  ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Alex

Painting little people  :'( This is the only thing I regard as a chore.

Alex

Oldman

Building my Turntable.- Actually waiting for the glue to set before the next stage.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Portpatrick

Well, Portpatrick Town is out on show on 3 March (Belmont) and 21 July (Leighton Buzzard).

I have made a few changes in the goods yard to incorporate the rather noce G/Far goods shed.  I have not had a proper shed until now.  And over Christmas I will incorporate a simple coaling platform in the loco stabling point - for any necessary coaling of locos from the local trains perminating in Town rather than going through to the Harbour.

Dock Shunter

Building a Ratio platform shelter......... :) :NGAUGE:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Portpatrick on December 13, 2011, 08:12:24 PM
Well, Portpatrick Town is out on show on 3 March (Belmont) and 21 July (Leighton Buzzard).

I have made a few changes in the goods yard to incorporate the rather noce G/Far goods shed.  I have not had a proper shed until now.  And over Christmas I will incorporate a simple coaling platform in the loco stabling point - for any necessary coaling of locos from the local trains perminating in Town rather than going through to the Harbour.

Hope the exhibitions go well - here's to faultless running :beers:

Oldman

Working out how I am going to wire the power to my micro turntable - deck finished and power feed for the rails to the bottom fitted.

Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations