Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

At TINGS I asked Joel on the Dapol stand if they had any details of the announced  Maunsell coaches, I received a reply today including some CAD/CAM images, from these I can say they are the early "Low window" stock and will consist of corridor 1st, 3rd and Compo, a 6 compartment brake which was not included in the drawings so don't know if it's the 3rd or the Compo, along with these is a Passenger brake - Van C, this looks very similar to their 4 wheel CCT/GUV i.e. a planked van. ETA late next year or early 2015.

I also enquired about the possibilities of a King Arthur to pull them, he'd "love to do an Arthur, but the tooling budget won't run to it"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Gooner1953

Sounds like it's the same CAD/CAMs as the ones that appeared in the Dapol catalogue earlier in the year. I must admit that the release date of late 2014/early 2015 is a big disappointment...

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Gooner1953 on September 13, 2013, 11:26:13 AM
Sounds like it's the same CAD/CAMs as the ones that appeared in the Dapol catalogue earlier in the year. I must admit that the release date of late 2014/early 2015 is a big disappointment...

Similarly disappointed, but then one gets used to being back or the production queues when modelling SR steam, now if it was a new diesel, new toothpaste tube livery or GWR stock then it'd be scheduled for next week

(I do recall Dapol George announcing Maunsell stock at an NGS AGM when Dapol first entered N gauge summat like 10 years ago)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Gooner1953

Funnily enough Mike, I found myself looking yet again at Etched Pixels' Maunsell kits only last night and thinking to myself that Alan is going to be getting an order off me pretty soon if Dapol don't get their finger out! I think that day has now come....  Keeps me busy as the gardening tails off and the nights draw in....

Nick

Gooner1953

Duly done! Alan, if you're watching you've got an order courtesy of Dapol's dawdling....

Cheers
Nick

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 13, 2013, 12:03:15 PM
Quote from: Gooner1953 on September 13, 2013, 11:26:13 AM
(I do recall Dapol George announcing Maunsell stock at an NGS AGM when Dapol first entered N gauge summat like 10 years ago)
Yup, but the then slow selling of the Gresley coaches gave them reasonable cause for doubt.
I'm never too concerned about timescales if the final product is worthwhile.
The Farish Bulleid coaches will fill a gap rather nicely in the meantime for me  :thumbsup:

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

Dorsetmike

QuoteThe Farish Bulleid coaches will fill a gap rather nicely in the meantime for me  :thumbsup:

Not an option for me, over 10 years ahead of my period!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Gooner1953

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 13, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
QuoteThe Farish Bulleid coaches will fill a gap rather nicely in the meantime for me  :thumbsup:

Not an option for me, over 10 years ahead of my period!

I've often been tempted by the good range of LSWR 2mm coaches on offer from Worsley Works but then put off by the fact that they are not complete kits. If I knew where to get the roofs, underframe fittings and all the other bits nedded I'd definitely give them a go as I definitely need a LSWR push pull set for the Torrington service. Any ideas??

EtchedPixels

Fittings may be a challenge in part and bogies even more so depending upon the type used.

Roof is the easy bit, lots of ways to scratch build simple curved roofs, and if you don't want to do that then given a profile I can quote you for a length of roofing strip to fit. Providing its a simple straight profile (ie no rounded ends, clerestories and funnies like that) its usually pretty cheap to bang them out as polished 3D prints as I've got tools to do it and I've done other roofs for people building Worsley scratch aids.

Complete shells to stick the sides and ends on are also not too hairy for most simple coach shapes but somewhat pricier both in materials and work.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chris in Prague

Hello, does anybody know if this Maunsells are the type used in the 1960s in North Cornwall on the 'Withered Arm' network of ex-LSWR lines?

Gooner1953

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 13, 2013, 03:55:36 PM
Roof is the easy bit, lots of ways to scratch build simple curved roofs, and if you don't want to do that then given a profile I can quote you for a length of roofing strip to fit. Providing its a simple straight profile (ie no rounded ends, clerestories and funnies like that) its usually pretty cheap to bang them out as polished 3D prints as I've got tools to do it and I've done other roofs for people building Worsley scratch aids.
Alan

Thanks Alan, I'll get my books out at the weekend and let you know. I'm pretty confident that the LSWR types that Worsley does are the ones seen on the North Devon line....

Nick

Gooner1953

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 13, 2013, 04:01:22 PM
Hello, does anybody know if this Maunsells are the type used in the 1960s in North Cornwall on the 'Withered Arm' network of ex-LSWR lines?

I don't know about the North Cornwall bit of the 'Withered Arm' but they were certainly on the North Devon section....

Chris in Prague

Thank you Gooner1953, I guess the sets would be used all over the Withered Arm. Specifically, are these Maunsells 1924 Maunsell (EM), or 1925+ Maunsell (M)? (Whilst I tell a Maunsell from a Bulleid from a BR Standard Mk I, the subtle differences escape me!

Gooner1953

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 13, 2013, 06:05:06 PM
Thank you Gooner1953, I guess the sets would be used all over the Withered Arm. Specifically, are these Maunsells 1924 Maunsell (EM), or 1925+ Maunsell (M)? (Whilst I tell a Maunsell from a Bulleid from a BR Standard Mk I, the subtle differences escape me!
Hi Chris

I must admit I'm not up to speed with 1924 (EM) or 1925+ (M) - I usually just identify Maunsells as either 'low window' or 'high window'! I have just had a quick look at Mike King's excellent book An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches and can confirm that Maunsell sets were built for the far West in all the main Maunsell batches from 1925 through to 1935.

There are photos in there of examples of the high window version that Etched Pixels does and tha Dapol is going to release in 25 months or so at Bude and Padstow. If you don't have a copy of the book but want more details let me know and I'll get something together for you over the next day or so.

Nick

Dorsetmike

Chris, these Maunsells coming from Dapol are the 1925-29 ones with low corridor windows, Maunsells started to be withdrawn  from the mid 1950s, some were still in service up to at least 1964.

Nick, the Dapols will be low window, see my original post.

This book has just about everything you need to know abouit Maunsell coaches - except scale drawings

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=david+gould&n=200000169&tn=maunsell+southern+steam+carriage+stock

Also on Amazon.co.uk at £9.95

If you want scale drawings then you need the Mike King book which includes Bulleid coaches as well but is out of print and fetching about £60 used!

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations