Rare N gauge

Started by Elvinley, June 05, 2011, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

Some items are becoming very sought after. At the moment 4 wheel coaches are the flavour of the month: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260791213448&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jonclox

Wow.........
Earlier this year I bought a rake of 4 for £30ish off of eBay
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Irish Padre

what a crazy price: over £80
for one little coach!!!

EtchedPixels

Ebay is a crazy place - you can still find them for £10-15 in model shops with a bit of searching. They aren't that rare - Farish made plenty of them.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Elvinley

Worth searching them out at the moment. The Dapol GWR version of the Terrier is fetching loads as well.

Irish Padre

You're not wrong: it's amazing how people pay way over the odds for stuff you can find elsewhere.

I guess the red mist of the bidding war descends..I almost fell victim to it this week , but set my
maximum price for an 8F and  managed to stick to it!!

Lawrence

for that kind of money, I'd want a loco, another 5 coaches, a power pack and at least 10m of track  :smiley-laughing:

That really is madness

Elvinley

I have an SDJR one which is now on Ebay - I will report what it goes for.

port perran

Dapol 6 wheel milk tankers are another example, often fetching £15.00 plus on ebay.
I don't understand why people bid early on ebay - this simply pushes the price up. I think it's better to watch the item then bid in the last 10 mins or so - that way, the price isn't pushed up artificially.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Zunnan on June 05, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Look at the bid history. Its a bit suspicious if you ask me.

In what way ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EtchedPixels

Thats how ebay shows someone placing bids that fail to be high enough

Jonathan Clapp

jerks see a price 10c higher than their bid and think its only another 10c, then its Homer Simpson, 10 more - 10 more  - 10 more -
its a suckers game, and I wish Id thought of it etc. or I hope that happens to one of my sales someday.

mind you good deals do happen. bid what you want to pay, then go away until you win or not.

now why cant it happen to some old junk I dont want, instead of the old junk I do want.

Elvinley

It's always a gamble selling on Ebay, I only got 46 quid for a Farish Royal Scot in perfect condition recently.

Something really strange is when currently available items like N Gauge Society products and Union Mills locos go for stupid sums.

Irish Padre

That is what amazes me; Union Mills Super D went for over £80 the other night - losing out by at least ten quid on buying a brand new one from the maker!! You just need to do your research and decide on a fair price before the bidding frenzy grips you......and the parcel arrives a few days later, only for you to open it and think: 'I spent £100 on THAT????'

Rod

Quote from: port perran on June 05, 2011, 09:45:40 PM
I don't understand why people bid early on ebay - this simply pushes the price up. I think it's better to watch the item then bid in the last 10 mins or so - that way, the price isn't pushed up artificially.
Certainly most activity is usually at the end but any bid pushes the price up. I don't see the harm in bidding early. It will be a low bid, but at the same time you set the maximum you're prepared to pay, a bit like a commissioned bid at a live auction. That way you don't have to watch it at the closing stages (exciting though that can be) and you know you're not going to be tempted to pay silly money. What other people are prepared to pay should be irrelevant.
Rod

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations