"Le Pong"

Started by MinZaPint, January 23, 2013, 01:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinZaPint

Anybody else affected by the leak of gas from France? it reached Poole in Doset, described as being like rotten eggs. For a minute I thought I was amongst the "Lancashire Massive" at Preston   :claphappy:  :laugh:  :laugh3: Hope you all have a great time up there, have a  :beers: or 2 on my slate  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

Quote from: MinZaPint on January 23, 2013, 01:11:22 PM
Anybody else affected by the leak of gas from France? it reached Poole in Doset, described as being like rotten eggs. For a minute I thought I was amongst the "Lancashire Massive" at Preston   :claphappy:  :laugh:  :laugh3: Hope you all have a great time up there, have a  :beers: or 2 on my slate  :thumbsup:

We're all good eggs up here, David :P
Well, except when Cloughie's had a butter pie :sick2:

AndyGif

Not effected here in Glos, but the local dump and sewage work arent far away so probably wouldnt notice anyways.

But i used to use the stuff that leaked for calibrating gas chromatagraphs at the factory I worked in, so know very well the stench it can make.

The average person can smell ethyl and methyl mecaptans down in to low parts per trillion.

My chemical locker was filled with all the top stinkies, mercaptans family, hydrogen sulphide, dimethyl sulfide, dimethyl disulfide, puterscine and butyric acid... ah those were the days. 

A litre of this stuff goes a long long long way!!!!

MikeDunn

Quote from: AndyGif on January 23, 2013, 01:19:52 PM
A litre of this stuff goes a long long long way!!!!
Like at least 120km !!!  :sick2:

Newportnobby

Terrible memories of a training course at the British Cellophane plant in Bridgwater many moons ago.
The whole town reeked (I think it was sulphur dioxide :confused2:)
Not good after a night out on the Wadworths 6X :sick2:

keithfre

Quote from: MinZaPint on January 23, 2013, 01:11:22 PM
described as being like rotten eggs.
When I lived briefly in Acrefair (near Ruabon) in the 70s we regularly had to suffer the same pong from the local Monsanto plant.

Trainfish

Quote from: newportnobby on January 23, 2013, 01:50:18 PM
Terrible memories of a training course at the British Cellophane plant in Bridgwater many moons ago.
The whole town reeked (I think it was sulphur dioxide :confused2:)
Not good after a night out on the Wadworths 6X :sick2:

I worked down at BCL several times in the 80's and you're right, the whole town stunk of it if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction. You could even smell it driving past on the M5! Also living in Devizes for the last 37 years it's easy to work out who's been on the 6X the night before.

We do get another funny smell here sometimes but that's usually when people from Melksham come into town but we try to limit the number of times we let them in each year.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

OwL

The conspiracy theorist inside me says that 'Le Pong' is deliberate, due to the British daring to mention a referendum on EU ( :thumbsdown:) membership  ;D ;D ;D

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

upnick

Quote from: newportnobby on January 23, 2013, 01:18:22 PM

We're all good eggs up here, David :P

Good to  see our Northern Moderator supporting Lancashire Massive  :P 

RussellH

Hi Guys,

No more smell from Cellophane at Bridgwater - All demolished (have a look on google maps street view) reduced to piles of rubble for a while now....

Regards
Russ

Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations