Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

The average age of railway modellers is 65, and it's been that way for the last hundred years.

I'm sure the early 65 year old have died off by now so there must be a steady stream of younger people replacing them.

Retirement seems to be a big prompt to take up the hobby.

dannyboy

You will be the exception to the rule Mick!  (We need your 'sense of humour', (well, that's what I call it).;D

Hang on, what am I saying, I am an exception to the rule - thank goodness.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: newportnobby on March 28, 2018, 03:58:23 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 28, 2018, 03:52:58 PM

I'm sure the early 65 year old have died off by now

Nice to know I'm gonna peg it early next year :worried: :worried: :thankyousign:

they would be 165 by now  :D  although looking round the show on Saturday some may still be around :goggleeyes:

Newportnobby

As a transition era modeller I think we do OK for steam and thank the heavens for Farish. Sure, some of the more recent items are retooled old ones like the Castle and the upcoming 8F but we have the C class, J72 and E1 to look forward to although it's anyone's guess at when they will come to fruition.
I reckon I can find a genuine reason for getting an early crest C class :hmmm:
Still bewailing the lack of unrebuilt WC/BoB, though :'(

Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 28, 2018, 04:16:15 PM

they would be 165 by now  :D 

For some reason I don't think I want to go on for that many years :no: :uneasy:

njee20

Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 28, 2018, 03:52:58 PM
The average age of railway modellers is 65, and it's been that way for the last hundred years.
Retirement seems to be a big prompt to take up the hobby.

Interesting stats - where are they from? Pleased to see I'm bringing the average down!

Snowwolflair

Not really stats but around 1957 Railway Modeler did a survey that reflected this, and its typical of most clubs I have been a member of.

Like you I still lower the average but I have been building models for nearly 50 years  :worried:

Newportnobby

You might find this poll from 2015 interesting although response wasn't huge...............
I wonder what it would be like now :hmmm:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29395.0

Snowwolflair

Yes, adjust these number to allow for older modelers who are not computer active, therefore don't vote, and the profile looks correct.

Train Waiting

An interesting question!

I think we are in a 'Golden Age'.  Here's why:-

Accurate well-running locomotives and multiple units of many kinds.

A super range of rolling stock.

Excellent Peco and Kato track (and other ranges as well).

DCC/sound kind of things for those who want it.  Gaugemaster controllers and their guarantee for those who don't.  (I know Gaugemaster does DCC equipment as well but I'm keeping it simple!)

A good service from manufacturers and retailers - some of whom are members of the Forum.

And... this Forum (run by volunteers - thank you all so very much) and its members.

[Now my personal one: Union Mills, Mr Colin Heard and a new (very affordable) locomotive each year!]

This is a Golden Age and I'm very grateful.

By the way, I think we are in a Golden Age of steam railways as well.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

njee20

Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 28, 2018, 04:34:04 PM
Not really stats but around 1957 Railway Modeler did a survey that reflected this, and its typical of most clubs I have been a member of.

Like you I still lower the average but I have been building models for nearly 50 years  :worried:

Fair enough, so a total guess really. I have no interest whatsoever in joining a club, I'm not sure that's a  reliable methodology.

I'd expect it to be (a bit) younger than that I must say. Taking Nobby's poll results if we assume people are in the middle of the decade they are answering for (and the overs are 75) then the mean age is 56.

Bealman

Well I know how old I am, and I ain't saying.  :D

.... Oooops it comes up in the birthdays every year on here...  :dunce:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Rabbitaway

Wow, looks like my thread started quite a debate!

As I said, did we see the peak about a year or two ago and activity and market appetite is now reducing.

For long term security for N gauge what sort of market share would it need, 20%, 30% ?

Agreed that Ben and Mike are going a great job raising the profile but in reality their market share is low. DJM is doing very little in N with just one wagon release so far. Therefore we do need GF and Dapol to keep the momentum going.

Intercity

Slightly outside the main scope for British outline, but don't forget Kato, Atlas, Athearn, those mainland European ones whom I can't remember (and probably can't spell correctly either), once you include those modelers and manufacturers I think N gauge (N scale) still has a huge interest although the outlines of said modelers will be spread over many locations.

njee20

Quote from: Rabbitaway on March 28, 2018, 11:13:47 PMAs I said, did we see the peak about a year or two ago and activity and market appetite is now reducing.

I think that point is heavily swayed by personal perception. I'd say nothing at all has changed in the last 2 years, and if there was a heyday then it was 5-7 years ago when wagons and coaches were less than £20 in the shops. Definitely not a year or two ago.

However, that coincides with when I was buying most. I think there's a natural tendency to translate your own experiences onto others.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations