HELP !!!!. Addicted to buying rolling stock and locos

Started by sparky, August 21, 2014, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I need Help !!!... I am building my layout bit by bit but keep running out of cash planned for track and points as I cannot resist a rolling stock "bargain".... I have more and more stock but not enough track to run them on... what's your N gauge addiction ???

DesertHound

Mine's Poole Farish stock! Love it ... yes, yes, I know I'm barmy!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

SD35

My current addiction stemmed from modelling the US scene where you had to pounce when something you really wanted was released because they didn't hang around for long.  "New issue of Montana Rail Link 3 bay hoppers due from Intermountain? Better pre-order 18 of them just in case!"  This was a new experience after the Farish years of always being able to go along to your local model shop and buy a blue 25, large logo 50,  etc, no matter how long ago they were first released.  It looks like the current UK scene is going the same way as the US scene though hence the abundance of block freight trains I hadn't really planned on and while appraising my collection a few weeks ago I realised for the first time in my life that I actually had a shortage of motive power which I never thought I'd be able to say.

DesertHound

Shortage of motive power SD35 eh? Don't let the missus know!  :P  :NGaugersRule:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

DesertHound

Now, what are we going to call this disease of ours? I like the term someone used the other day ... "Diseasels"!

GeeBee

Mine is laying track running to check all OK and then think if I just changed .............. will I ever get the scenery started!!!!  I had better as SWMBO is in charge of the scenic side

NeMo

Quote from: DesertHound on August 21, 2014, 07:59:03 PM
Now, what are we going to call this disease of ours? I like the term someone used the other day ... "Diseasels"!
It was originally coined by the Rev. Awdry, in a book called "Main Line Engines" -- "Coughs and sneezles spread diseasles". Obviously it's a play on the old "coughs and sneezes spread diseases" public information film.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

DesertHound

Thanks for that NeMo, great term. I think my line in the sand will be that with the Poole stock I won't duplicate (other than those I've already duplicated). That should make it manageable and plenty to pick up on the cheap as and when they surface and funds permitting.

Dan

Caz

Quote from: Only Me on August 21, 2014, 07:41:48 PM
I have the same problem for anything Diesel and green!! I have four 101 sets and six 108's but cant stable them all let alone run then!!

No wonder I can't find any to buy!    :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Oldun

Quote from: sparky on August 21, 2014, 06:40:29 PM
cannot resist a rolling stock "bargain".... I have more and more stock but not enough track to run them on...

You think you have a problem  :no: Try mine, so far I have 23 steam locomotives of various types and 3 diesels + 2 EMU's.
18 coaches and 24 goods wagons. 2 x engine sheds (to make 1 long one), turntable, station buildings plus line side accessories.
Enough buildings for a small town. 6 x half lengths of straight track + 4 sets of points.

As of yet I have no layout (not even started one yet) :laugh3:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Bigric

Hey , listen , wait until you've been collecting stuff for 12 years ! Over 100 DCC locos , 50/60 coaches , 120 (ish) goods wagons . All to go on a big shed layout which I've been working on for 10 years , still only half finished .....but runnable as it is . At least I've started working on the main terminus platforms etc again . OOOOOOPS !! Ric

Newportnobby

I think a small minority of us would say 'I have just enough stock for my layout' whereas the majority of us fall into the 'I haven't got enough' or 'I have too much' :hmmm:
Me? If I see something new that fits my layout's era/location I'll buy it, purely because I don't want to lose out should there not be a second run :worried:
I'm also slowly but surely replacing my Mk1's with Blue Riband versions but it does mean I have hordes of others to sell off ;)
There is no way I can justify all my stock but I do run 2 separate eras so placate my wallet with that thought and, as I don't take holidays (being retired and having let my passport lapse), while I can afford this hobby I will continue in the same vein :laugh3:

Tim.hynd

Quote from: Only Me on August 21, 2014, 07:41:48 PM
I have the same problem for anything Diesel and green!! I have four 101 sets and six 108's but cant stable them all let alone run then!!

If you ever need to 'de clutter', I know someone who could lend a hand!!  :-*
In life you cannot always choose what you do, but you can always choose how you do it!

Londonthorpe - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=21944.msg224765

Londonthorpe planning - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=21398.msg218718

trainsdownunder

Quotewhat's your N gauge addiction

Simple - anything N Gauge  :heart2: see my signature

REGP

I'm relieved I am not alone with this diesel disease.
Almost 40 Steam & Diesel locos (I daren't actually count), a couple hundred coaches and wagons, although they do cover a couple of distinct Eras.
However, layout still being built and far from complete, just left with a small test track play with to test my locos on
But like Nobby I'm still after a couple of more locos, just in case they sell out and don't do a rerun.
Yes N Gauge is addictive!
Ray

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations