Alternative to talktalk webmail

Started by DELETED, May 12, 2016, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

Quote from: Ditape on June 14, 2016, 08:25:29 PM
I am with Virgin media and thier online email page is good and their email also works well with outlook.

...tried virgin.  They won'toffer me a package in my area (they just don't do my postcode unfortunately!!!).

QuoteNot a clue what you guys are talking about but the mention of ads made wonder. Basics remember, I'm fed up with talktalk , I feel they are getting very obtrusive with there questioning everything, plus the screen is awash with ads and crud. Any thoughts on an ISP suitable for a steam driven 69 year old. john.

...Talktalk ads?  the talktalk customer support side is just appawling and rapidly plummeted compared to 12 months ago.  But ads no -adblock plus takes care off all adds. I understand why folk get miffed those who don't use it.  It's amazing, I hate looking at the internet without it.

Byegad

Quote from: Bealman on May 13, 2016, 08:06:26 AM
Dunno what the fuss is about. I've used yahoo mail for 10 years, and apart from the irritating adverts, no probs.

That'll be the Yahoo who got their servers hacked three times in not so many months causing BT mail users (BT used a rebranded Yahoo service at the time.) as well as some yahoo.co.uk users and causing me no end of grief, then?

MJKERR

I was previously using Outlook Express
I then had to upgrade to Outlook Mail
More recently upgrading to Windows Live Mail

Yes, it does mean all the eMail goes to one device (unless you mark the message to not be deleted from server)
However, this then means I only need to use the email / ISP WebMail when on other devices

If Talk Talk are really dreadful then look at a personal Domain Name based eMail setup
I have been using this on several of my own for some time (although I do have my own server helps)
If you can find one that offers cPanel then you can choose the WebMail interface that best suits you

Bealman

Quote from: Byegad on June 25, 2016, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: Bealman on May 13, 2016, 08:06:26 AM
Dunno what the fuss is about. I've used yahoo mail for 10 years, and apart from the irritating adverts, no probs.

That'll be the Yahoo who got their servers hacked three times in not so many months causing BT mail users (BT used a rebranded Yahoo service at the time.) as well as some yahoo.co.uk users and causing me no end of grief, then?
Please see reply #12 above.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dorsetmike

I'm reminded of one of my mum's sayings

"you only get what you pay for"

So if you use a free Email service don't expect anything like a perfect service, corners will be cut, so you might get hacked, or you have to put up with adverts or other annoyances.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

DELETED

As soon as anyone can get fibre in my area I'll switch in a heart beat as long as it's not BT.  We're only 400m from the exchange but nobody will fit fibre out from it -politicians are all concentrating on western isles / island broadband instead.

<2015 Talktalk was excellent in MY experience.  Jan 2016 > it's been truly awful and they've completely lost the plot.  I lost my connection for almost a week and it was based on poor technical advice from the Indians, nothing wrong with my set-up once I fixed it myself.

....Don't get me started with O2 talking about 5G now.  I'm supposedly 4G yet 99.9% of the time I'm still GPRS -still waiting for reliable 3G to come out anywhere north of Carlisle please.

Jools

Back when it was the only option fair enough, but these days there are many a free web based service which are generally more reliable than the isp's offerings, so I can't understand why anyone still uses email from their ISP.

One of the major complaints I used to hear when I worked the faults/support line at work, was people who had moved to another provider for a cheaper broadband deal and then wondered why their old email address (which they relied on for their business) had  stopped working ::)

The email address provided by your isp is almost always a "free extra" meaning they've no guarantees in place to keep the service going and there's certainly no obligation to the provider to keep providing you with it should you ever leave their service!

If you rely on email, this effectively ties you to a single provider for all time unless your willing to run through the tenuous process of trying to change each and every online account you've registered with it and mores till trying to convince people who've been emailing you for potentially years on the old address to start using a new one!

Use Outlook.com / Gmail / yahoo if you are looking for a reasonably reliable free service that can follow you anywhere in the world, or purchase your your own domain and use the mail services they all come if you want to ensure the service is under your control and wouldn't suddenly be taken away at the whim of the big tech companies!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations