Using the 'Search' function

Started by Newportnobby, October 12, 2016, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Not being able to recall where the postings were for the Revolution Class B tanks, I typed 'Class B' into the search tool to be met with "Each word must be at least two characters long".
How can you make the 'B' in 'Class B' to be long enough please? :P

Bealman

Easy. Class Bogon. (An Aussie term for a, well, bogon).  :-[  :P
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

keithfre

I don't get the error message if I put "class B" in inverted commas. But the search function seems to be ignoring the B part.

emjaybee

I'm glad it's not just me.

I was looking for info on "Black 5", and had a similarly useful response. Not being a railway "anorak" (forgive my terminology, it's meant in a respectful way!), I was at a bit of a loss to know how to search any better.

I can only assume the search algorithm/program was not written by a railway buff.

:computerangry:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Only Me on October 12, 2016, 11:26:53 AM
Yes, that's the way the search function works, can you imagine trying to run a search and it returns every number "5" or every letter "B" it would crash the forum (or any forum for that matter!!)

I guessed that might be the answer and, to a certain extent, was only joshing seeing as you have had such a hectic weekend sitting playing trains on Tormouth :-X

Malc

It should still work if you put "class B" but the phrase has to be the same case/spelling as the text in the thread.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

njee20

I never use inbuilt website search facilities where I can help it, as they're usually woeful. Go to Google and just add site:ngaugeforum.co.uk somewhere in the search.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations