!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 51063 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #450 on: December 30, 2017, 06:56:03 pm »
A bit short on time at the moment as the missus is not too good but hopefully an order should go off this coming week for some bits and pieces to continue.
A Happy New Year to all and may it be better than last year. :beers:

I do hope your wife will be better soon, Brian, and, also, you'll be able to work on the railway more in 2018. Once several parcels have arrived, a parcel will be going off to you, in January, which will also have the building kits we discussed. Thanks for the nice surprise of which I've just been notified.

Next week, I plan on taking lots of photos. of the various Christmas special trains including "through' workings some of which I hope I can co-ordinate with you as well as Martin.

Wishing you all the best for the coming year.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: December 30, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »
Hope your wife gets better soon Brian.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #452 on: December 31, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »
Hello Best wishes & speedy recovery for your wife Brian
      regards Derek.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #453 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:10 pm »
A belated Happy New Year to all.
Luck doesn't pass by here very often but before Christmas I sold some things on ebay for considerably more than I thought I'd get. So may I present some of the goodies that have arrived!

These came from the NGS super sale. Pot luck but they will do very well. A change of company and advertising will make them more local. The mechanical horse will make a very good coal lorry for local deliveries. 

Some commercial and private vehicles.

I've always liked the class 52. A new service will be inaugurated, Bristol - Padington via Durscombe and Frome. A future service to Taunton and the South West is under consideration.

Another favorite of mine with a mixed goods in tow.

You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: January 08, 2018, 07:10:37 pm »
Some very nice vehicles there Brian.
And some really nice photographs - I particularly like the final one of the Class 22.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:01:34 pm by port perran »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:33 pm »
Many thanks for these splendid pictures, Brian.

I like the 'D1000' 'Westerns' as well.  Although we lived in Ayrshire, my parents had friends in Royal Berkshire whom we visited on occasion.  As soon as I was old enough to be allowed, I borrowed a bicycle and cycled to a spot overlooking the WR main line where I could see them in the middle distance.  I only saw blue ones, though!  I was banned from going further as there was a 'busy road' ahead!  So no numbers or names are recorded.

Thanks again and all the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:09 pm »
Growing up deep in Western territory in Wiltshire I saw all the Westerns and in all the liveries. Green has always been my  favourite.
I saw some beng built on one of several visits to Swindon works.
The first one I ever saw, aged 9 I believe was D1004 and I remember being struck by the sheer size of the machine. And also that it looked so different to everything else.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »
Ans some really nice photographs - I particularly like the final one of the Class 22.
Agreed, that is a particularly good shot. All looking good.  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2018, 09:49:51 pm »
Many thanks, Brian, for this excellent update. The photos. show off your scenery and trains very well.

I also have Dapol N - 2D-012-010 Class 22 D6326 BR Green No WP, bought in the early summer, for a good price, then DCC-fitted at Wickness, so D6326 will be working some medium-distance goods trains when it is not running with one of the two B-Sets in early dieselisation days, between Bodmin Road, Wadebridge, and Penmayne. I also think the last photo. of it on the goods train lools particularly good. I can, probably, copy it given the time to find everything!

I'm also a fan of "Westerns" but prefer the "Hymeks", far more of which I saw far more often. However, I agree that, after Desert Sand, "Westerns" looked very good in BR Green. I only have a Graham Farish Class 52 bought DCC-chip fitted, D1023 "Western Fusilier" in BR Maroon and it hardly ever runs as it is much too large a loco. to be seen at Cant Cove. Your D1000 "Western Enterprise" in BR Maroon is nicely weathered, just enough for my tastes and looks good with the BR WR Chocolate & Cream coaches. I'm sure Summer timetable services to and from Cornwall will be very popular.

The road vehicles make an excellent addition. I like the BR Crimson & Cream livery on them. I'm not sure if I have the cab unit and trailer pair. I didn't bother with the NGS "Super Sale" but did buy some scenic items in their earlier sale.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2018, 01:46:40 pm »

Another aerial view. Nobody is quite sure who the photographer is but a tartan hot air balloon was recently seen in the area.

In December, Austin Spindler, the local Perthshire celebrity balloonist, was competing in the bi-annual Somerset Balloon Regatta at Glastonbury, he is well known for combining his balloon flights with his love of railways and takes every opportunity to capture unusual shots from the air, he was delighted to see some activity at Durscombe

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2018, 02:50:43 pm »
Great updates Brian, some great photos... D6313 is periodically seen in Perthshire (where rule 1 is alive and well)

Glad you got some bargains in the super sale, I did too, added a fair few busses and vehicles, been a great success for the NGS thankfully - I now have some plaster cast low relief buildings though... just have to find somewhere to use them!

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #461 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:02 pm »
NB Type 2 D6313 was, for nearly all its working life, allocated in the Southwest:
It was New 12/01/1960 to 83D (Plymouth) Laira, remaining there for 7 years [the normal time period for Cant Cove ending in 1967]
83A Newton Abbot 31/01/1967 (briefly)
82A Bristol Bath Road 28/02/1967 (not for long)
83A Newton Abbot 31/05/1967 (not for long)
82A Bristol Bath Road 30/09/1967 (longer)
84A (Plymouth) Laira 01/06/1968 (returned)
Withdrawn: 03/08/1968

Following withdrawal, it was purchased for preservation, being moved to Perthshire.

D6326, which frequently hauls trains between North Cornwall and Somerset, has a rather different history.
It was New 16/05/1960 83D (Plymouth) Laira, remaining there for less than a year, but returning in 1962 for over a year.
83A Newton Abbot 28/01/1961
83D (Plymouth) Laira 24/03/1962
81A Old Oak Common 28/09/1963 (eight years)
84A (Plymouth) Laira 22/05/1971
Withdrawn: 03/10/1971
It was not preserved in North Cornwall, unlike D6348 in BR Green SWP and D6318 in BR Blue LWP livery.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2018, 09:38:40 pm »
Not a lot happening at the moment. It's too cold in the cave.
I've started a new thread in Layout planning for some advice and ideas. It's much warmer sitting in front of a computer with a wood stove going full bore next to you 8)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40301.new#new
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:38 am »
Thanks for the update and the link, Brian. I hope the weather and temperatures will improve soon for you.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:19 pm »
Still not a lot happening on the modeling front. I've started wiring up the revamped Withy Jct. which hopefully will allow me to soon start running trains again. A major clean of the track is necessary first.
I'm trying my first etched brass kit, a Peedie Models footbridge. I'm not too happy with the results so far. I need to improve my soldering skills. I also bought some benches, tables and station trolleys from him as well. So small!
Thanks to CIP I have almost finished making up some Kestrel kits, Photos shortly when they are finished.
It's getting a bit warmer now so I'll be able to spend more time on the layout.
I bought a laser printer recently which I'm experimenting with. To me, it prints better than my inkjet printer and an added bonus is I can now print windows on acetate so long as it's not white. I saw recently you can now buy white toner for laser printers, the problem is it costs about GBP350 per refill.  Decals next, the decal paper has just arrived.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here