!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 36749 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:00 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates Brian, lots of work ahead- looking good so far
      regards Derek.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:24 am »
Thanks for all the pictures, Brian.  They illustrate your track plans very well.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 01, 2017, 08:41:26 am »
Thanks for the detailed update, Brian, with all the photos. I can see that you've got a lot of scenic work ahead of you. I will be sending some more trees (including the willow trees) amongst the items in the next parcel. (Also some electric 'gas lamps' like mine as I've been given far more than I need, by Jason. So, you should be able to light your station platforms and yards but you'll need to allow for the wiring and transformers.)

I hope you'll be able to get some trains running, again, on at least part of the track where you've got scenery. It will be good to see some connecting trains when you're able to take some photos., although I know you've got other more important tasks which must take priority.

Easter will see the usual program of steam- and diesel-hauled special passenger trains in and to the Southwest. 8-)

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 01, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
A couple more photos I meant to post last night.

I don't know if this was the train that left Knotmore St. but this arrived at Withy Jct. The BG and CCT were crammed full of goodies from Perthshire, an A4 wouldn't fit! It's said that the local constabulary were on hand to supervise the unloading. Cider temporally taken second place to more northern beverages.

Another view with the local Withy Jct. Bournmouth via Templecombe waiting departure in the bay.

You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:04 pm »
Great news re your wife Brian.
And good to see the latest pictures.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:37 pm »
Many thanks, Brian, for the latest photos. from Withy Junction, which are always good to see. The connecting service train from Templecombe for the disembarking passengers did indeed have a BG transferred to it from the special train from Perthshire to Birmingham then the West Country.

Do you already have platform canopies? If not I think I may have a spare pack of Ratio ones.

I'll be posting some photos., taken earlier, of trains to and from Withy Junction including loco. coal wagons.

I managed to find time to paint some rolling stock buffers this morning, but still am very busy at work.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2017, 09:59:52 pm »
Thanks Chris. I have one canopy half made as is the station building. I bought the Ratio station kit some time ago off ebay quite cheaply. I was thinking of another one cut in half to put against a wall. Let me know what you want for it.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2017, 09:04:00 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Brian. I'll include it in the parcel. It is a long free-standing one so not suitable for Cant Cove (or Penmayne) as station canopies (where provided at all) were short and attached to the main station building only.

I'll PM you about the parcel which I now hope to pack and post this coming week.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2017, 04:46:15 pm »
A long delayed update. I get a couple of hours a week to hide in the train room at the moment. A few pictures of what I've been doing.

This is the final track layout. I've added a crossing to allow access to the goods yard rather than having to go half way round to let trains reverse in. I don't know if it's prototypical but it works for me.

The control panel. The frame was rescued from a previous aborted layout. The space on the right will be for a future controller.

Looking towards Withy Mount. There will be a ruin on the top. The tunnel entrance is a long abandoned line to Bath. There was a land slip which was not deemed worthwhile and too costly to repair. Trains to Bath are now routed via Durscombe.

Another view towards Withy mount. Ground cover and trees have yet to be added.

Part of this was used in the original layout though it doesn't show up too well. At the very front is a canal. The base is papier maché ( torn up newspaper and wall paper paste :-[). I find that when I put filler on top the wallpaper paste softens and sticks to the filler and makes a stronger join. There is foam under the paper and around Withy Mount the base is aluminum mosquito netting.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2017, 04:49:12 pm »
Looking very good Brian.
Thanks for the update
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2017, 11:35:59 pm »
Hello, looking good Brian  :greatpicturessign: thanks for the updates
    regards Derek.

Steamie+

« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:51 am »
Glad to hear about your Wife Brian, the updates are brilliant, i can see you are very forward looking, it’s a great looking layout by the way and i love your little stories that go with the photos. I myself have not done a great deal with my health problems and now Anne is getting worse with her breathing, she is worse then i am at walking, only a hundred yards or less and she struggles, still i think we would be lost with out them, i know i would be.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2017, 08:43:27 am »
Good morning Brian,

Thanks for the update. It's good to see the revised layout which is looking good. I can now see that I forgot the station canopy kit; it will be in the next, smaller parcel.

Having to setback the train to enter a goods yard is quite prototypical. The station that Cant Cove is inspired by had such an arrangement after the expensive to maintain double-slip was removed in SR days, before the BR SR came into being, let alone the WR take-over.

The weather seems to be improving, again, here, so photos. of the departing trains for Somerset, taken at Cant Cove, are expected, soon. The intrepid passengers, including the "Chelsea Girls", in the transferred ex-GWR autocoach had a long journey! Photos. of the trains' safe arrival are eagerly anticipated. A BR Lined Green Large Prairie was one of the locos. used, from Penmayne.

With Withy Junction and Durscombe now part of the "Fast Freight" network, the first deliveries of brand new Extra-LWB goods stock will soon be employed in bringing local produce between Cornwall and Somerset. A second rake, in additional Cornish (Port Perran and Trepol Bay companies') liveries, plus local Somerset ones, is due early this (1962) summer.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2017, 08:42:36 pm »
Thanks Chris. When I can "borrow" my wife's computer I'll up date the track plan. I use Linux which Anyrail doesn't support. The crossing now allows me to set back from either direction giving the impression that the trains are within "station boundaries" and not disappearing behind a back scene.
@Steamie+ . My wife is similar too. 50 metres and thats it. She has a 52% lung capacity amongst other problems. At least she is a very positive person

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »
Thanks, Brian. When you have time it will be very useful and interesting to see the new trackplan. For new fans it would be good, too, to repost your map showing where Withy Junction and Durscombe are in relation to Templecombe which is, I hope, a well-known location in SW England. 8-)

Setting back is, as I wrote, a well-used way to access a goods yard off a running line. With Cant Cove, due to the restricted site, there is the additional fun of using a quite short headshunt which finishes over the edge of the actual Cove!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything