what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violets49

Early sixties to early eighties just after dieselisation to the end of loco haulage. but concentrated on the Cl 27 era. plus MacBraynes buses and shipping.

exmouthcraig

When my dad and I agreed to finally get this stupid sized layout built my role was to convince the missus that a 6mtr x 15m fully enclosed heated bay on the end of our barn was money well spent, dads was to convince my mum that his pension pot needed a good chunk robbed out of it to keep his side of the bargain supplying all the track.

It all started so well, bay built fully finished and nice and warm, base boards 1 2 and 3 built, 4 5 and 6 all framed ready, track plan printed and worked out and dad coughed up his truck load of points and code 55 peco flexi.

Admittedly we've ground to a halt in the last 4 months with potato harvest, calving, 6 new tups and a ground breaking AI sequence but I've been let down now in our 2 week quiet spell before lambing, we needed another truckload of track but the one with the purse has had to disappear on holiday with my mum "in order to win her over to turn a blind eye to the next expenditure" so I decided to build something not needed on our layout just to waste some hours. I'll stick some photos up over the weekend

GeeBee

Still waiting for the baseboard to arrive 5/6 weeks seems forever ever mind I have been drawing the wiring schedule and circuit diagram thanks to Tiny Cad, Track plan completed in AnyRail 6 and I have been playing with some prototyping boards for buffer warning LED's and route selection via an ac feed plus I have had some fun trying to light carriages with magnets.
More to follow.

austinbob

Last few days I've been soldering droppers to the track ready for wiring to control panels and setting up fixings for point motors.
All set to start fixing of point motors and doing the rest of the wiring - a big job...
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

bluedepot

cleaning the track after 3 weeks with no trains operating...

then test and run in new class 47

Newportnobby

Quote from: GeeBee on February 19, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
have had some fun trying to light carriages with magnets.

I've always found they can be a bit dark. Have you tried some form of lighting? :confused2:

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

GeeBee

Quote from: newportnobby on February 19, 2018, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: GeeBee on February 19, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
have had some fun trying to light carriages with magnets.

I've always found they can be a bit dark. Have you tried some form of lighting? :confused2:

Yeah I am still trying to find some 3v magnets no luck yet

violets49

Been working on the G&SWRA stand at the AMRSS 'Model Rail Scotland' show in the SEC today and tomorrow so not been able to do a lot. I didn buy some relevant kit including some stuff from smart Models. Also been continuing my researching for  Eilean Gaothair. Been looking at Isleornsay for inspiration. Seems to match my ideas with a few tweeks. (Although on the Isle of Skye. Isleornsay was to be the Southern Terminal of the Hebridean Light Railway.)

GeeBee

Checking clearances and continuity before moving onto fixing down the track on MayBee Line after spending 2 hours trying to find my dmm that had slipped down the side of the settee  :-[  :-X

Bigfilmguy

I'm just waiting for some point motor wire to arrive tomorrow. Then I'm going to finish wiring my first two surface mounted point motors. Once they are working properly I'll be ballasting the station area where I have them installed.
Craig (aka Bigfilmguy)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mastering the fine art of Percussive Maintenance since 1975

stevewalker

Just measured up the framing ready for cutting, to extend down the other side of the shed. I am not intending developing that side for some time, but it will allow me to run fully round the shed and lift the temporary track that completes the existing loop - right where a roadway is required!

Hailstone

Having lost my modelling mojo a little whilst grinding away (literally) at my County, I decided to have a break and run some trains on my main layout

I am enjoying myself so much, that it may be a while before the County gets any more attention!

Regards,

Alex

daveg

Always worthwhile taking a break and just enjoy running trains.

Dave G

Caz

You can't beat running a few trains to soothe the nerves and let's hope the mojo returns real soon.   :thumbsup:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%