Scotrail Class 08

Started by scottishlocos, April 04, 2017, 06:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottishlocos

Guys

I am looking to get a class 08 and have it repainted as 08761 in Scotrail livery which of the current 08's would be correct for this loco

Manly Thanks

CaleyDave

I take it this is the Provincial/Regional Railways 'Scotrail' 08's based at Haymarket.
There were two of these  but I don't know if they co-excised.

Front
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39539425@N07/12813210103/
Rear
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uk-railpix/14419059261/

Front
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/8101941132/
Rear
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uk-railpix/8158790264/

Of the current 4 offerings listed on the Farish website as out now or coming soon if you avoid the BR Black and NSE (Which have ladders) The other 2 look to be close enough. Some of the lamps on the front and rear will need to be removed to match the pictures.
Cant give any help beyond Lamps and ladders I'm afraid.

Please do let us know how the project goes, got a soft spot for Locomotives in the various incarnations of Scotrail.

BMHoneyman

You need to look at the boxes and vents on the sides of the Farish 08s as they differ.
If modelling 08720, Farish 371-015C in br blue would work. Whereas if modelling 08761, Farish 371-024 in DB schenker would be a good starting point. If you look on Hattons website at the pictures of Farish 08s you can see the differences. I only found that there was a difference when I was comparing my three BR blue ones which differ.
Ladders on the nose ends can be easily remover.

ScottishModeller

Quote from: scottishlocos on April 04, 2017, 06:47:10 PM
Guys

I am looking to get a class 08 and have it repainted as 08761 in Scotrail livery which of the current 08's would be correct for this loco

Manly Thanks
Hi there,

As noted by others - you need to choose your base model carefully.

See pdf for a comparison I did a while ago to work out which model to use - just tidied it up to remove the other stuff I had added comments for that didn't relate to what you want to do.

Thanks

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

scottishlocos

Guys

Thanks for all the replies forgot to say i already have 08653 Farish in RFD would this be suitable donor loco I will keep you all posted on progress can anybody recommend a decent painting service I have a budget of about £60 or is it worth waiting until I have more £ £

Dave

ScottishModeller

Quote from: scottishlocos on April 05, 2017, 07:07:29 PM
Guys

Thanks for all the replies forgot to say i already have 08653 Farish in RFD would this be suitable donor loco I will keep you all posted on progress can anybody recommend a decent painting service I have a budget of about £60 or is it worth waiting until I have more £ £

Dave
Hi Dave,

OK - That's sorted one thing out......

If you are using 08 653 it should be the old chassis with no outside frames.

It doesn't have the cabinets on the footplate in the right place for either of the real locos you want to represent.

But - It's up to you and if you are happy with it like that, that's fine.

Thanks

That means the paint job you want done on it will cost as much as the loco is worth - if not more.
Thanks
Phil Holman

BMHoneyman

Hi Dave and ScottishModeller,
I believe 08653 to be the new outside frame version, catalogue ref. 371-017. If so it should be good for modelling 08761.
Hope that helps.
Mark

ScottishModeller

Quote from: BMHoneyman on April 05, 2017, 09:14:14 PM
Hi Dave and ScottishModeller,
I believe 08653 to be the new outside frame version, catalogue ref. 371-017. If so it should be good for modelling 08761.
Hope that helps.
Mark
Hi Mark,

If you are correct - and I have no reason to doubt it, (just haven't seen one yet) then you are correct and it will do 08761.

I will have to try and look for one at Harburn next time I am down!

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

BMHoneyman

Hi ScottishModeller,
Farish 371-017, 08653 in Railfreight Distribution first appeared in the 2009 catalogue and was also in the 2010 one but dropped from the 2011/2012 one. As a model it is now getting old and I think you would only find it secondhand unless you are very lucky.

If Dave did not want to use this body, he could always buy a spare blue 08 body from Rails of Sheffield to paint.
Regards,
Mark

Jonas

You'll need to double your budget at least I think. The livery is a complex one on a small locomotive. The best resprayers have a long lead time as they have lots of work already booked in, so don't be put off if there is a waiting list - it's a good sign!

I'd recommend West Coast Resprays as an example - http://www.westcoastresprays.co.uk/commissioning - having seen examples of his work. He's a nice guy to boot!

ianwales

Hi

Just looked at the pdf comparison sheet and you can't model 08720 using the 08600 Ivor donor as it has the wrong cab door, Ivor has the wooden door with one handle while 08720 has the later metal door with 2 handles, for the same reason the BR Blue 08672 is wrong for 08761, only the DB Schenker one has the  correct cab door for 08761.

Hope this helps.
Ian

scottishlocos

Guys

Thanks for all the replies still looking at various options

Dave

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP