Have Farish returned to white nylon gears?

Started by Elvinley, April 02, 2017, 05:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

The sound fitted 108 has what looks like white nylon gears as opposed to black plastic. I know these were thought to be more successful in the past and not split like the plastic ones, but haven't been used for years. I believe this was just the old Farish pre-Bachmann. Any other new releases using these?

Bob Tidbury

If they have thats really good news I have been collecting locos for more years than I care to remember and I allways look out for any locos with the white gears I have never ever known one split and they allways run smoother .
I think the reason thy stopped useing them was due to the cost ,I was told they cost twice as much .
But its cost more in replacing all the black split ones which for a while were replaced free of charge .
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

The latest class 20 I bought (the weathered one) has white gears but not having bought a Farish diseasel since I couldn't say for sure it was a permanent move :hmmm:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Elvinley

This is certainly the first modern release I have had like this but I haven't bought a new Farish diesel since the new tooled Class 25 and that was still the normal gears.

Newportnobby

I wouldn't say the class 20 runs any smoother but, hey, if the gears last longer so much the better.

Dr Al

Seems possible, though they've been erratically using white nylon gears on and off for a few years - 3MTs first batch have them, as well as some 08s, but later batches in black.

May be that some gears are obtained from other sources and bought in, with varied supply.

cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations