B.R. Steam experimental blue livery.

Started by trkilliman, March 28, 2017, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

NGS Journal 2/17.

Page 24,  2016 Annual model making competition.

There is a photo of Duchess of Montrose in experimental blue, with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender. Entered by Graham Lowe.
I'm sure I have seen a photo of a King in this early blue livery. It appears to be a different shade of blue and lining to the models released with the white Lion on Wheel tender emblem.

Does anyone have a knowledge of this early blue livery, and if this shade and appropriate lining is available to us?

Jubilees and a couple of Castles appeared in an experimental light green. This would make an interesting contrast!

N-Gauge-US

The 2/17 journal appeared in my mail slot today and that stood out to me too! I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before, but not being very BR oriented, can't remember the details. Let's hope someone more knowledgeable pops along soon and informs us of the details, as now my curiosity is piqued!

Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Hiawatha

:hellosign: Just joined after lurking for a while and thought that I could add to this thread. :wave:

It's not a Duchess – but there is a Dapol model of 60027 'Merlin', one of the four A4s that received the 'experimental' blue in June/July 1948. Sometimes this livery is called purple but it seems that it was an ultramarine blue, compared with the later express blue (as worn by Dapol 'Mallard' 2S-008-004) it was darker and with a red tinge and red lining.
Not the greatest photo but I think it shows the difference of the two liveries well enough.

'Merlin' was made for Modellbahn Union (which belongs to DM-Toys and is only available from them – I am not affiliated  :no: ) as item MU3890011 (there is a second sticker with number JPS-008-002 beneath the MU one). I think 150 (or 200?) were produced.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter

Karhedron

The experimental dark blue livery has been described as both ultramarine and prussian blue. I believe the lining is as per LNWR-style (same as BR MT lining). A4s and Merchant Navies were lined a little differently due to their streamlining. It was initially branded with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender but some locos kept the livery long enough to receive the early crest. Here is a King so adorned.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ntpntpntp

Of those two A4s, I prefer the look of Merlin.  To me it looks more "purposeful" somehow.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

trkilliman

Thank you to those who have replied.
I prefer the earlier darker shade of blue, with BRITISH RAILWAYS on tenders.
A livery that has been pretty much ignored, so nice to see it on Merlin.

leachsprite4

I believe A3's also had the ultramine blue and I'd love to see the dapol one in this livery. There is a drawn image if one in steam railways of Britain in colour by OS Nock.

The A4 does look pretty fine though.

trkilliman

I'm undecided about DJMs proposed crowdfunded King.

If he was to do one in the Ultramarine blue as in Karhedron's post above, I could be very tempted. Anyone else feel the same?

Karhedron

I am getting 2 Kings (assuming it goes ahead) so I might be slightly biased. ;)

The experimental blue livery was quite short-lived and not all the class wore it. The lighter "Caledonian" blue was worn for longer by the whole class so I can see why it makes more sense. Also 6023 has been restored in Caledonian blue livery currently so it makes a good choice for modern image modellers who want to run a steam special. I think both shades are smart and offer some variety for GWR/WR enthusisasts who want a change from green (I know, heresy  :P ).

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MrDobilina

Quote from: Karhedron on March 30, 2017, 09:46:48 AM
I am getting 2 Kings (assuming it goes ahead) so I might be slightly biased. ;)

How do you preorder? I've gone on djmodels website but can't find the preorder section for this model!

Found it, was hidden away, rather than click on the preorder and others button you need to hover and find it under that menu. Clicking on the button doesn't have the expression of interest option there. (http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47)

Karhedron

Quote from: MrDobilina on March 30, 2017, 09:55:06 AM
How do you preorder? I've gone on djmodels website but can't find the preorder section for this model!

Found it, was hidden away, rather than click on the preorder and others button you need to hover and find it under that menu. Clicking on the button doesn't have the expression of interest option there. (http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47)

No money gets taken until the minimum number of orders are received and then it is just a deposit.

For anyone cautious about this method of development, DJM's first crowd-funded model (the 00 Gauge class 71) is in production.

ODRAILS

Quote from: leachsprite4 on March 29, 2017, 09:34:08 PM
I believe A3's also had the ultramine blue and I'd love to see the dapol one in this livery. There is a drawn image if one in steam railways of Britain in colour by OS Nock.

The A4 does look pretty fine though.

One Merchant Navy was decked out in 1948 in this darker blue with 3 red horizontal stripes in Bulleid style. It didn't last long like that - too colourful for the newly nationalised railway I expect.

LenV

I have a King Richard ll. 6021. Its product number was 372-550. It looks to be in what I would call a light blue colour. It runs on dcc and had to be hard wired because dcc ready was not available then. Len

Karhedron

Quote from: ODRAILS on March 30, 2017, 11:17:53 AM
One Merchant Navy was decked out in 1948 in this darker blue with 3 red horizontal stripes in Bulleid style. It didn't last long like that - too colourful for the newly nationalised railway I expect.

Yup, East Asiatic Company. I am not sure why the experimental blue was dropped in favour of the lighter blue.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations