N Gauge Journal 2/17

Started by free debt man, March 23, 2017, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Thanks for posting them here Matthias.  :thumbsup: They certainly improve the article. I thought it odd when I read it that it only shows real scenes of canals.
And that canal water looks nice and deep and dark. Nice modelling all round. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

trkilliman

Matthias, some cracking modelling and pic's.  Cannot understand why they were omitted.
IIRC, my article I submitted on building a cattle lorry did not make best use of the pictures that accompanied the text.

Hay-ho.

haeckmaen

Thanks for your kind comments on the modelling scenes.

Quote from: daffy on March 25, 2017, 08:37:21 PM
I thought it odd when I read it that it only shows real scenes of canals.

Now that you mention it I suppose many readers might think so. I didn't want to be so rude at first, however I think the editorial team should have been aware the article in its published form leaves the impression of a NGS member from abroad unnecessarily chatting about armchair modelling on UK prototypes and nothing materializes so far. This would obviously be at least  not ideal in a magazine that persists proclaiming to 'have a go' in each issue. Additionally, a share of long-term NGS members will probably never have a look into this forum (or into anything in terms of internet at all) and therefore won't take note of additional explanations presented online.

Quote from: trkilliman on March 25, 2017, 09:15:43 PM
IIRC, my article I submitted on building a cattle lorry did not make best use of the pictures that accompanied the text.

To be fair, the editorial work concerning publication of my 'Maudsley' layout in the NGS Journal was excellent, when publishing 'Penzance', I was wondering hi-res pics were printed in stamp-sized format, but omitting the major modelling content is a different affair.

Matthias

N-Gauge-US

I would guess it was an inadvertent omission at the time of compilation. Ultimately, Grahame likes for writers to include photographs and I can't imagine him omitting them intentionally in this case, when the photos are good and add to the content. At any rate, I'm grateful for a chance to see them here and am still looking forward to reading the article in question :)

Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Steamie+

Quote from: haeckmaen on March 25, 2017, 08:12:03 PM
Hello,

the recent issue of the Journal included a slightly modified submission I wrote about narrow boat modelling (,Modelling narrow boats, page 35'), however it was decided not to include any of my modelling pics I supplied with the article. I wasn't informed about any problems with my pics prior to publishing so I was rather suprised that those were not included.

Instead of lamenting, please find below a selection of the pics obviously not found suitable for publication. These are reduced in size to match forum settings.

All in all, I think the article is incomplete by making away with the modelling pics.

Best regards
Matthias (#19833)

Seem ok to me.     :thumbsup:

NeMo

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 24, 2017, 05:32:36 AM
Grahame shouldn't need to write articles to fill space.
True, but we all know Grahame will find some space, somewhere, to fill with own scribblings!  ;)

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Steven B

I don't mean any offence, but I think the photos shown here are a little out of focus and don't have a great depth of field. I know Grahame has a high standard when it comes to photos and it could be that these didn't meet it. That said, perhaps if this was the case then he should have asked for better images.

It was an enjoyable article though, although looking at the photos I'd like to see a follow up article giving a more in-depth description of how the canal was modelled - it looks fantastic (as does the rest of the layout).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: NeMo on March 27, 2017, 06:35:31 AM
True, but we all know Grahame will find some space, somewhere, to fill with own scribblings!  ;)

Cheers, NeMo

Haha true! But I often find I enjoy his articles. Love him or hate him, he has a great deal of experience modeling and has some good advice to offer :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

woodbury22uk

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 27, 2017, 09:35:59 AM
Quote from: NeMo on March 27, 2017, 06:35:31 AM

Cheers, NeMo

Haha true! But I often find I enjoy his articles. Love him or hate him, he has a great deal of experience modeling and has some good advice to offer :)

He has over the past week created a 8-wheel waste collection vehicle over on RMWeb which will find its way into the Journal in due course, I'm sure. Quality modelling and explanation.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121149-a-scania-dustcart/
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations