Class 50, Class 59, prototype HST, Battle of Britain will be shelved for now

Started by Karhedron, March 17, 2017, 12:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohlavache

Quote from: njee20 on March 17, 2017, 05:16:53 PM
I think it's a softer way of saying "you'll never see them, but we don't want to admit we're giving up as we've invested a lot of money and a competitor may step in".

This is also what I think.
I also assume that the new motorisation for the BoB is a reason for its cancellation. And maybe combined with low sales perspective.
The prototype HST was on top of my wish list and the class 59 was also tempting.
The good side of it is that I will spend less money and less hesitate on buying the HST set in the new drak green GWR livery.

I must say I expect the same kind of announcement from DJ Models.
I fear we'll never see some of the locomotives and wagons announced so long ago. It's a pity because I really want a class 17 and an 0-6-0ST Hudswell Clarke! And I forget the LSWR brake van.

DJM Dave

Oh dear, your pessimism is about to be sorely shattered then!

N gauge class 17 is in the tool room and will debut at the Perth show in June.
Mermaids are in production.

Oh and if anyone's interested, I modified a Dapol A4 to loco drive with a coreless  motor and tested it extensively over 2 years ago. The modification took about 4 days and it works to this day, perfectly. It forms the basis for the j94 and Hudswell Clarke chassis in N gauge when they arrive.

Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Karhedron

Quote from: DJM Dave on March 17, 2017, 08:51:22 PM

Impossible, it's all vapourware I tell you! Lalalalalalalalalal.   :jawdropping:

Nurse, where are my tablets? :P
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

leachsprite4

Come on Dave play fair even my daughter knows mermaids don't exist.  :D

Bornin1980something

They'd better hurry with the Pacer. When the model was announced, it was still very much a contemporary train. Now, the 142 is condemned, with the last Northern units going in early 2019, and regulations due to catch up with the entire class by 2020. It's even possible for model might be launched with no surviving examples around; the first Pacer Preservation Society, of which I was a member, disbanded after about four years, though I understand another society was formed last year.

Of course, some would argue it is such a hated train that it should never be preserved or modelled, though personally, I think such a short train would be very good for an ultracompact layout.

As for DJM, I put my name down for the 17 and the Hudswell too, but I am most interested in the Hudswell, of which we have still heard very little.

ohlavache

Oh and if anyone's interested, I modified a Dapol A4 to loco drive with a coreless  motor and tested it extensively over 2 years ago. The modification took about 4 days and it works to this day, perfectly. It forms the basis for the j94 and Hudswell Clarke chassis in N gauge when they arrive.

Dave

I would be more than happy then.  :D
So I keep on crossing my fingers and toes.

PS: I learnt two more words today, "sorely" and "shatter". It reminds me how bad my English is.

Bornin1980something

DJM Dave, I have often wondered why you plan to use coreless motors in everything, including the large diesels. Farish only uses them when space is at a premium. Do they offer any advantages in larger N Gauge models?

Snowwolflair

Well I'm not surprised, and when a Tomix chassis from Japan goes up from £19 to £24 in a year it's the currency for what ever reason.

The really interesting comment is that Dapol are going to make more here.  It's small beginnings but once they start to build any quantity here, probably in O gauge they will begin to wonder why they bothered with China especially after the America first policy creases Chinese industry forcing their prices way up.

DJM Dave

Consider this....

The Farish Castle has a coreless, the WD does too, however the new 40 does.

People argue that they are cheap. Yes they are cheaper, but if done right they are extremely smooth and quiet.
I've not had one burn out yet either.

It allows more space and that space can easily be used for things like speakers, extra weight, sound decoder space.

It's the way forward, the OO models I've produced so far have quite possibly unheard of reliability. I'm running at 2% failure (and 80% of those are simple oiling, running or the occasional blanking plug change before going back to the customer) and Hattons are quoted this week as running at 1% for the 14xx.

They are here to stay in both gauges. Indeed, the Bachmann USTC tank in OO has one too.

Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Chetcombe

Well I am coming late to this thread at the end of a long snowy Friday here in the US. To say I am cross is an understatement, so I will not mince my words...

Quite frankly this news sucks. Regardless of the reason for the cancellations (yes that's what this is), Dapol have completely let down the N gauge community. And that is before I take into consideration awful quality control and shocking customer service (ever tried to get an out of warranty Dapol loco repaired?).

So I will boycott anything from Dapol from now on and hope others do likewise. I hope that RevolutioN, Farish, Peco, Union Mills and DJM step up, either in their own name or by crowdfunding. Indeed, I am prepared to step up and help get these models made - just let me know how I can help!

Excuses, excuses, excuses. I'm sorry Dapol, but this is the final straw...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Chetcombe on March 18, 2017, 02:44:59 AM
Well I am coming late to this thread at the end of a long snowy Friday here in the US. To say I am cross is an understatement, so I will not mince my words...

Quite frankly this news sucks. Regardless of the reason for the cancellations (yes that's what this is), Dapol have completely let down the N gauge community. And that is before I take into consideration awful quality control and shocking customer service (ever tried to get an out of warranty Dapol loco repaired?).

So I will boycott anything from Dapol from now on and hope others do likewise. I hope that RevolutioN, Farish, Peco, Union Mills and DJM step up, either in their own name or by crowdfunding. Indeed, I am prepared to step up and help get these models made - just let me know how I can help!

Excuses, excuses, excuses. I'm sorry Dapol, but this is the final straw...

Sadly the real world, is just too hard for some people to handle.

Hopefully you don't run your household finances on a wing and a prayer?

NinOz

Indeed it is sucky news.  Was looking forward to a couple of new 50s but also glad I didn't sell my Farish 50 too soon.  Better wack a decoder into it since a DCC ready doesn't seem likely for a couple of years.

I don't think punishing any manufacturer financially for their business decisions, which don't hurt any customer financially, is a good response.  Who would like to see any manufacturer stop producing N stuff?  Certainly not I, as I have quite a bit of Dapol N products and would like to buy more.

And thanks to Dapol MD for informing us about the situation rather than letting items silently fade into the mists of the future.

Regards,
CFJ

PS Maybe better pray that this prompts Farish to update and re-release their Class 50.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

NinOz

Dave
That would indeed make a great "How-To".  Any chance?

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

silly moo

I wonder how much the move towards 00 and 0 was influenced by the difficulty of both manufacturing and repairing N gauge models As well as the smaller market?

I believe DCC Supplies have their hands full with returns and repairs under warranty. I know that if I was in the business of repairing locos I'd much rather work on the bigger scales.

I wonder if they get a higher percentage of returns and repairs on N gauge models?

dodger

Quote from: newportnobby on March 17, 2017, 08:33:14 PM
Sorry NPN but Spitfire was only repaired after the Lewisham crash. It was never rebuilt.

From the pics I've seen you can call it repair but I'd call it a rebuild, Dodger.

[/quote]

Is there a confusion of terms here, Spitfire was always a spamcan. It was rebuilt to the BR version.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations