BR Blues

Started by cudders, September 04, 2017, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudders

Hi chaps,

Just been through my stuff to see what I have.

Started to collect some BR Blue stuff as this is what I remembered from being a nipper.

As a steam fan though and which most of my stock is (LNER/LMS), I can't decide whether to keep collecting or just get rid now and use the cash for more steamies.

I don't have enough yet to really use so would have to splash out to get a decent level of stock.

Here's what I have thus far, not much really.

Just can't decide  ???

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

austinbob

My main interest is steam also but I have quite a few diesels too. Mostly green with a few blues.
I don't know if you're modelling any specific era/region but you can always have 'visitors' or 'a blue day' if you wanted.
I'd hang on to what you have unless you're desperate for cash to buy new kettle related stock.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Cudders - is your steam era stuff truly LNER/LMS or is it late crest LNER/LMR?
If the latter, you could (just) get away with running some blue, especially the carriages.
The NW of England was the last bastion of steam, which was finally banished from the rails in 1968.

Personally, I wouldn't like the loss if I sold the blue stuff so would have a 'Blue Day' as has been suggested

johnlambert

When I started out I was certain that I was only going to do 1960s steam to diesel transition era stock.  Then the Graham Farish 4CEP came out and I had to buy one in blue and grey as those were the first trains I noticed as a small boy living in the South East.

The EMU was joined by a variety of other stock because it would look silly just to have the one thing, wouldn't it?

Although my British Railways steam and green diesel stock still outnumbers everything else I can, if I want, have a decent running session with blue diesels.

It looks like you've got a fairly decent collection.  A couple of DMUs for local trains and coaches for a reasonable loco-hauled service.  I wouldn't get rid as you'll only end up buying replacements in the future.

Train Waiting

Like you, it's steam for me and preferably before Hogmanay 1938.

But, here's the but: that's for 1:1.

In 1:148, things are more complicated and some diesels and electrics make charming models.

BR blue, whilst in real life a symbol of an era of (mostly) decline, appears, for some reason that I don't begin to understand, very nice in British 'N' gauge.  As the scale increases, to my eye at least, BR blue looks less attractive.

I'm trying to resist buying a few diesels to keep my Union Mills locomotives company.  If I do, there's a fair chance they'll be blue.

You have a nice collection; I'd keep them and add the occasional item I fancied...

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

bluedepot

why not build two layouts?  or build a layout in the 1980s where the mainline connects to a preserved line?  an interchange station or something?

Tim

mattycoops43

Hmmm I got a rake of farish mk1's in maroon, but I really want blue and grey. Fancy a swapsie?

Matt

Skyline2uk

I am a big fan of the last liveries of BR and when I chose an era "Triple Grey", "Intercity", "Reginal" and "NSE" (Era 8) was obvious.

I was deeply offended when the privatisation liveries (Loadhaul, EW&S etc) started to appear.

However, time is a funny thing and I started to purchase EWS 66s, 67s and EW&S 56s...

The point is I have two distinct fleets; Era 8 and early Era 9.

It gives a nice change to switch over fleets, or even slip in the odd different loco into the running session.

I would 100% keep your blue stuff  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

cudders

Quote from: newportnobby on September 04, 2017, 04:23:43 PM
Cudders - is your steam era stuff truly LNER/LMS or is it late crest LNER/LMR?
If the latter, you could (just) get away with running some blue, especially the carriages.
The NW of England was the last bastion of steam, which was finally banished from the rails in 1968.

Personally, I wouldn't like the loss if I sold the blue stuff so would have a 'Blue Day' as has been suggested

Hi mate. Yes all my stock is LNER and LMS proper so can't really run on the same layout. I had mooted a layout where I could swap out building etc to switch but its just too much work I think..

Maybe a small second one could be an option as it's not a money thing as such just whether I'll ever use them..

Cudders

cudders

Quote from: johnlambert on September 04, 2017, 05:27:09 PM
When I started out I was certain that I was only going to do 1960s steam to diesel transition era stock.  Then the Graham Farish 4CEP came out and I had to buy one in blue and grey as those were the first trains I noticed as a small boy living in the South East.

The EMU was joined by a variety of other stock because it would look silly just to have the one thing, wouldn't it?

Although my British Railways steam and green diesel stock still outnumbers everything else I can, if I want, have a decent running session with blue diesels.

It looks like you've got a fairly decent collection.  A couple of DMUs for local trains and coaches for a reasonable loco-hauled service.  I wouldn't get rid as you'll only end up buying replacements in the future.

Hmm, something to think about for sure..

Cudders

cudders

Quote from: mattycoops43 on September 04, 2017, 08:58:19 PM
Hmmm I got a rake of farish mk1's in maroon, but I really want blue and grey. Fancy a swapsie?

Matt

Sorry Matt maroon period is not one I like but thanks for the offer

Cudders

BobB

I have two distinct era collections; my favorite is mid-seventies BR blue (of which I have too much !) and a small but growing late steam stuff. Having two sets allows changes when boredom sets in provided the infrastructure is timeless enough to cater for both periods. Layout number two will need a turntable and water crane plus some more smoke stains though !

Bealman

I'm a die hard BR green and maroon man, but that looks like a nice little collection of BR blue you have there.

I'd definitely hang on to them.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris Morris

I seem to have caught the blues too
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues......

David Bowie  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations