Too much stock.

Started by David Asquith, August 31, 2017, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Bealman;

'Getting back on topic, I have some strange fascination with fish vans. Got quite a few of em.

However, I read somewhere that in the 60s, overnight fish trains could be hauled by A4s!'

Even better-in the book 'British Rail Fleet Survey pt 1-early prototype and pilot scheme locos' by Haresnape, there is a photo of North British Loco type 1 D6116 piloting A4 60004 on an up Aberdeen fish train at Perth-dated 6/7/64. The consist looks to be about 30 wagons, including at least a couple of 6-wheelers.

How about that for 'that never happened'/prototype for everything?

Martyn

BobB

If joining one club isn't enough for you excess stock try joining two of them. I have a current problem that I have acquired a couple of kettles which don't go with my corporate blue stock or the club's mainly american stuff. I think a second layout is the only solution !

I have asked the local model shop to get me a Farish 4F and now need a train and crew and and and...... Help please......

Dorsetmike

One answer to the too much stock problem is to have loads of cassettes with trains loaded which can be cycled through; have 2 cassette connections on the layout, run a train from a cassette, let it run while you get the next cassette lined up and the empty cassette at the other connection when the first train has done whatever you want, send it to the empty cassette and bring on the next train, if you have a double track layout you could have 4 cassette connections.

I have a long plastic box, with 2 boards each holding 6 cassettes which take 5 bogies plus a van or a freight of the same length, above the boards is a layer of trays holding 30 locos. Some of the coach cassettes hold more than 1 train, example a 3 coach set  and a 2 coach push pull set, or 2 short freights.

I put a loco on a cassette connection track, then put one or two cassettes of coaches behind the loco, I can easily "ring the changes"  to have anything from  3 coaches to 10 coaches with or without van(s), mixed freight, "pick up" goods, a complete van train or light engine.

I also have a couple of rerailers modified to fit the end of a cassette so I can load to/from track in the the fiddle yard on the area group layout
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 02, 2017, 05:02:38 PM
One answer to the too much stock problem is to have loads of cassettes with trains loaded which can be cycled through;

I'd say "Oi! Chris Froome! You may be 4 times winner of the Tour de France and current leader of the Vuelta, but get orff my trains! :telloff:

Dorsetmike

Quote from: newportnobby on September 02, 2017, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 02, 2017, 05:02:38 PM
One answer to the too much stock problem is to have loads of cassettes with trains loaded which can be cycled through;

I'd say "Oi! Chris Froome! You may be 4 times winner of the Tour de France and current leader of the Vuelta, but get orff my trains! :telloff:

On yer bike!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations