Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: Webbo on October 22, 2017, 11:04:39 AM
Here are my latest acquisitions

Would have clicked 'Thank You' but it's one of those occasions when the 'Thank You' button isn't visible. ??? So ...

:thankyousign:

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Intercity

Postman delivered two more packages, one containing a hard to find Virgin class 86, and the other a Virgin Tram (postman still has two more deliveries to finish, a voyager and an Amtrak ACS64).

Webbo

Thanks Intercity for showing me that my profligacy can be exceeded. But, of course why not go for it? Good stuff.

In my recent post, the Youtube thumbnail appears to show the SD40-2 close to the edge. The telephoto lens makes the edge look closer than it actually is. The distance between the closest rail and the fascia board is 6.5 cm so the loco would have to topple over and do a bit of a horizontal skid to go over the edge. The swinging elbow is a bigger (ever present) risk than a derailment, I think.

Disappeared 'thank you' button sometimes happen to me. Anyway the sentiments are appreciated.

Webbo

Pjlons83

Made my first engine purchase today from the 'bay. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I also bought this little fella the other day too. A little random as a first purchase but I liked the look of it so why not!  :D

I hadn't deliberately gone American but I thought they both looked quite interesting.

If only I had more time to actually build a layout for them to play on! :hmmm:

Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Pjlons83 on November 01, 2017, 06:58:24 PM
Made my first engine purchase today from the 'bay. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Nice.    Older Atlas/Rivarossi diesel? Looks like it has skate/plunger pickups, and the vertical can motor on one bogie?      Go easy with it, I don't think you can't get the motors new any more, and the commutator on these motors is known to melt and fail if overheated.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Pjlons83

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go easy with it. It was listed as;

"old Atlas used N scale USA Southern Pacific railroad FM 'C Liner' diesel and a baggage car"

I'll be asking about servicing at some point in another thread I'm sure!

Webbo

The baggage car looks like an interesting piece of machinery. To be sure, it was used to carry baggage, but the windows along the side look like they belong to sleeping quarters for a transcontinental train crew.

Can anyone set us straight on this?

Webbo

Hiawatha

It's a baggage-dormitory (as that's written on the car), so would have had crew sleeping space there. Except that the Southern Pacific Daylight was a daytime train and didn't carry sleepers, so also no need for a crew dormitory. ;)

I like the 5-axle Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner. This B-A1A passenger version was rare in real life (most were B-B), and the Rivarossi was the only model ever made of it. I have a PRR version although they only had a few B-B freight units.
Peter

Pjlons83

Thank you for the info. It's reading this kind of detail when I realise how little I know about trains. I just thought it would nice going round my layout.

Interesting to read though.  :NGF:

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Pjlons83 on November 02, 2017, 10:36:54 AM
...It's reading this kind of detail when I realise how little I know about trains. I just thought it would nice going round my layout.
...and that's a perfectly good enough reason to buy it!   Enjoy.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Jon898

Quote from: Pjlons83 on November 02, 2017, 05:15:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go easy with it. It was listed as;

"old Atlas used N scale USA Southern Pacific railroad FM 'C Liner' diesel and a baggage car"

I'll be asking about servicing at some point in another thread I'm sure!

If you're going to the darkside, sorry American outline, you'll find this site a wealth of knowledge http://www.spookshow.net/locos.html but promise not to let the description of the C-liner on it make you depressed.

Jon

Webbo

The darkside indeed! We may be few in number on this forum, but we have seen the light.

Paul, whatever country you should choose to model, they are ALL great (IMHO).

Webbo

Pjlons83

Thank you for the comments. The layout I have in mind is English countryside so the American things might look a little out of place. But then it's my world so anything goes  :goggleeyes:

The back of the layout is hidden so maybe there's the worlds biggest fiddle yard back there with branches bringing in trains from all over the world.  :o

Pjlons83

Quote from: Jon898 on November 02, 2017, 12:56:51 PM
promise not to let the description of the C-liner on it make you depressed.

Arrived today and it runs, sounds and looks great!

Very happy indeed  :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations