Microsloth again

Started by Dorsetmike, March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: red_death on March 29, 2017, 06:51:18 PM
I don't see anything grammatical about [Microsloth etc.] - it is just tiresome and frankly quite childish.

I'm with you on this, what's the point of using a silly name? It lends no substance to the point being made.  If you have a comment/opinion about Microsoft products then call the company by its name. 

I do remember a humorous column that used to run on the back of Computer Weekly years ago, supposedly the diary of an IT Department manager. It used to feature comic-fictitious company names such as Macroshaft and Infernal Busted Machines,  and references to politicians of the day such as Trendy Blur.  In that context it was indeed a fun read when it arrived on my desk with it's "in jokes" on the IT industry and life in a typical IT department.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Steamie+

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

DELETED

Quote from: Sprintex on March 29, 2017, 07:08:01 PM
Quote from: red_death on March 29, 2017, 06:51:18 PM
IIRC you removed a link to a Rage Against the Machine cover for its use of a swear word (despite being a widely played no 1 - think of the children  :o ), yet you seem happy to condone the use of crap or other thinly veiled swear words in this thread...

'Crap' isn't a swear word, and I don't see any "thinly veiled swear words" in this thread either. People have in some cases used four asterisks without any hint as to the missing letters so that could be anything, and only if they HAD included some of the letters so as to point to a particular swear word would that have been against the forum rules.

And in another case the correct emoticon has been used so no problem.

Paul

I hate to disagree with a mod but I disagree (even after a fair bit of googling). This is a family forum and if I used this kind of word round by family or friends I'm sure I'd still receive a short yet well defined and painful slap.  I hate to see this word used as often as it does on here.

Sprintex

I never said I condoned it's use, I said it's not a swear word and therefore not against forum rules, just stating facts ;)

Paul

njee20

Where may we find this de facto list of swear words?

Google defines crap as vulgar, and the Cambridge Dictionary (I don't have the OED on my phone) calls it offensive. The same terms are used for other 4 letter words I guess you'd rather we didn't use. I'd like to see which other words can actually be used as they're not swear words...

FWIW I agree with the majority, I think it's offensive and shouldn't be used if we're maintaining a "family friendly" policy.

PLD

Quote from: njee20 on April 02, 2017, 07:44:00 AM
In the absence of a list lets start our own...

I'll contribute the following as a starting point:
Great
Western
Diesel
Double
Ho
;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Funny as that is, this section is called Computer Help, and if everyone refers to the original post, it is quite obvious that this thread has gone seriously off topic.

I am therefore looking at locking it.

Bealman

The original issue was addressed by page three of the thread, and that is reason in itself to lock it.

:locked:

Pengi

Quote from: njee20 on April 02, 2017, 07:44:00 AM

Google defines crap as vulgar, and the Cambridge Dictionary (I don't have the OED on my phone) calls it offensive. The same terms are used for other 4 letter words I guess you'd rather we didn't use. I'd like to see which other words can actually be used as they're not swear words...

FWIW I agree with the majority, I think it's offensive and shouldn't be used if we're maintaining a "family friendly" policy.
I think we all have a pretty good idea of which words are vulgar within the UK  :o and using a dictionary is a good reference point. However we are not just a UK forum and that is where it becomes a little harder to be precise about what is unacceptable and what is not. For example, crap is no longer defined as being vulgar by the New Oxford American Dictionary and the Cambridge American dictionary states that it is UK offensive. Plus craps is a dice game - so it would be hard to allow craps but not crap. The best policy is to use the censored  :censored: smiley if one is not sure what is vulgar and what is not
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations